Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 31, 2002, 10:41 AM   #1

Default Gregersonsalvage: this is for you

Looking over this forum it seams you are the only person which owns the Epson 960 and that makes you the guy all questions should be posted to. I'm thinking of Canon for the first time but my heart always belonged to Epson and i just can't brig myself to buy the canon wiht out seeing the 960 but stupid A-hole Epson will not bring it to market. I like what i hear about canon but the limited paper choices, one paper path and B&W issues ( i never print B&W) still hold me back. Epson still has the INk clogging trouble which i hope they steal a page form cacnons book and make the heads user cartridge replacable and copy the optical ink level reader instead of chip which i'm guessing the 960 uses. This will be my last printer purcheas and not sure which way to go.
PhotoMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2002, 6:36 PM   #2

PhotoMenace,
Have had the following Epson photo printers.
875DC
I always run quick nozzle test b4 printing pictures. Find clogging has never been issue with heavy use and aftermarket ink.
Good luck on your choice,
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 12:49 PM   #3

Default Re: Gregersonsalvage: this is for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoMenace
Looking over this forum it seams you are the only person which owns the Epson 960 and that makes you the guy all questions should be posted to. I'm thinking of Canon for the first time but my heart always belonged to Epson and i just can't brig myself to buy the canon wiht out seeing the 960 but stupid A-hole Epson will not bring it to market. I like what i hear about canon but the limited paper choices, one paper path and B&W issues ( i never print B&W) still hold me back. Epson still has the INk clogging trouble which i hope they steal a page form cacnons book and make the heads user cartridge replacable and copy the optical ink level reader instead of chip which i'm guessing the 960 uses. This will be my last printer purcheas and not sure which way to go.
Techinically the heads are replaceable. But not very basic user serviceable. The price for a new head will run you around 100 bucks. The price of a new printer. To have a pro install one will run you about another 100-150. The 960 in the limited time I've had it to test with has not clogged once. The newest epson inks seem to clog much less than previous epson printers. It could very well be thier new inks or it could be thier printhead cleaning cylces have gotten better at removing clogs. Either way we see less of them today than in the past. Although if you use offbrand inks I have seen much more clogging there than with oem inks.

If this issue of clogging does worry you. Most printers that I have seen perma clog probably into the 3rd or 4th year. So I would suggest getting a 5 year warranty with the printer. IF you have problems and they can't fix it they can replace your printer with an equal one.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote