Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 1, 2003, 4:14 PM   #1

Default Budget Photo Printer in the UK, Canon 330 or Epson 895?

Happy New Year to all

It's January sales time here in the UK which means time for a new printer!.

I've got a HP 959c at the moment but the cost of cartridges here is very high, about 38 ($57) for a colour!, refills are an option but results are variable and so far all the compatible carts I've had haven't been near the HP colours.

So, a new printer for occasional photo work only (I have a lser for B+W text), there's a choice of sub 100 printers, a Canon 330 or an on-sale Epson 895 both for about 70 ($100). I would have preferred a Canon 850I but Canon tell me they aren't going to release that model in the UK. I have had Epsons before, a 600 which clogged and died and then a 660 which dropped to bits! so I'm a bit wary of another one

Any suggestions between the 2?

Kind regards, Jeff
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2003, 6:12 AM   #2

Jeff,

First of all, the Canon i850 (and i950) was apparently launched in Europe a couple of days ago, although it is not yet on the Canon UK web site.

The Epson 895 (785 in the US) will give better photo print quality than the Canon 330. You might also look at the Epson 830.

There may be good deals around on the Canon S820/S900 now that the i850/i950 have been announced.

Chris
Chris R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 6:27 AM   #3

Thanks Chris, I emailed Canon UK before Christmas as I planned to pick up an i850 when we were on holiday in Florida, the reply I got is below,

>>

Customer Reference : CQ1511136

Thank you for your enquiry regarding your Canon I850 Bubble Jet Printer.

Please be advised that at present there is no plan for this printer to
released for sale in this country. Also be advised that purchasing this printer from America it will not be covered by any warranty in this country therefore if the printer fails it will not be able to be
repaired.

We hope this information is of use to you. Should you require any
further technical assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us on
the above telephone number, quoting your customer number.

Regards

Simon Bushell

Customer Services Officer

Tel: 08705 143 723
Fax: 08705 143 340
email: customer.services@cbs.canon.co.uk

www.canon.co.uk
>>

I may just wait and see what happens, the other alternatives are an i550 which is about 120 or an S750 at about 140
Old Jan 2, 2003, 7:52 AM   #4

There is an announcement on the Canon Europe website:
http://www.canon-europa.com/

Click on "Products & Solutions"

Chris
Old Jan 3, 2003, 1:09 PM   #5

Hi all

Had another reply from Canon UK this morning saying they still don't know when or even if the i850 will be released in the UK but to keep watching the web site :evil:

Went out and bought an i550 for now, VERY impressed with it's speed and quality, borderless A4 is a joy to behold best news is the price of cartridges, a set of 3 colour & 1 black direct from Canon UK comes to over 35 ($52!) but I managed to get them from http://www.7dayshop.com in Guernsey (small island off the UK coast) for just over 25 ($39) an original colour cartridge for my HP 959c alone used to cost me 38! ( $57).

I've only tried it with Ilford Photo glossy so far but it really is VERY good
Old Jan 6, 2003, 3:43 AM   #6

If you are using the Ilford Gallerie papers (which are available at very good prices from 7dayshop.com), you should be aware that the "Smooth" range is very quick drying but is subject to quite severe fading if exposed to the atmosphere. The "Classic" range takes longer to dry and isn't water fast, but it should be very fade resistant. I use a lot of the Classic paper.

Chris
Old Jan 6, 2003, 6:32 AM   #7

Hi Chris

Yes, I'm using the Ilford Classic Gloss paper, as most of the prints are only for "short term" use it's not a problem, anything I want to keep I'll either print on Canon paper or have printed on normal photo paper (my wife is chummy with a local printer!). All of my images are archived to CD using Mitsui disks for long term storage.

One strange thing is that the 100 sheet pack seems slightly less glossy than the 25 sheet packs I've bought previously, or it may just be the Canon ink vs HP ink.
Old Jan 6, 2003, 7:54 AM   #8

If you are using Ilford Gallerie Classic Gloss the print longevity should be very good - certainly better than any Canon papers. It is the Gallerie Smooth papers that are liable to fairly rapid fading.

Chris