Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 11, 2005, 11:46 AM   #1

I really like the color and b&w print quality of my HP 8450. I like the longevity of their prints (based on Wilhelm's tests) on their best paper (premium plus). The glossy stock is beautiful. I'm starting to print up images to sell and wonder the following:

My question: What fine art papers can be run through the 8450/8750 with success? Does anyone know if there has been any testing on the longevity of these inks on FINE ART papers? Are there high quality matte paper options?

I'd like to hear the suggestions of others here.
Thank you.
bluemoondesignstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2005, 3:46 PM   #2

Wonder have you tried 'wetcanvas'

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36

It may prove helpful, quite a big site. they deal with art printing etc as opposed to Digital Photography, have a peep and navigate round.

Davy
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 2:37 AM   #3

Thanks very much. I'll have look at that site.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 12:03 AM   #4

:? Might I suggest scapping the 8450 and getting new Canon ip6000d. It covers at least a 40year in a frame light fastness and a 100 year archivability in an album. The ink costs less at replacing one cartridge at a time and in talking to an oil painter/artist friend of mine, the black cartridge in the HP is not really three seperate colors. The Canon prints beautiful black and white prints and more vivid color prints with a smaller droplet of ink, 2 pico litre on the ip6000d and 4800x2400 dpi.
iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 12:04 AM   #5

NO offense to any HP owners. It's just time to see the light.
iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 7:25 AM   #6

iSAPS Guy, have you owned and used either the HP 8450 or 8750 personally?Where can someone read the Wilhelm archival test about the Canon you mention?
Old Jun 22, 2005, 8:53 AM   #7

bluemoondesignstudios wrote:
Quote:
iSAPS Guy, have you owned and used either the HP 8450 or 8750 personally?Where can someone read the Wilhelm archival test about the Canon you mention?
He was also saying earlier that the i950/i960 was obsolete replaced by the ip8500 yet het he's pushing the ip6000D which for the most part is the i960 in an updated chassie. It also seems very odd to reccomend a 4+2l color printer in contrast to the HP8450 a 4+2l+2k (not sure how many grey levels are in the #100) let alone the 8750 which unless i'm sadly mistaken is a Super B printer. If the i960 is obsolete outmoded by the ip8500 would not the printer he's reccomending also be outmoded by the ip8500 even though it has a fancy screen? If I owned either the 8450 or 8750 i'd be very insulted by someone reccomending what they consider an obsolete product.

And this 100 year number might apply to the pixus ip90 / ip9910, using the new ink formula chromalife100 or some such, but I'm not sure they are even being sold in japan yet let alone anywhere else, something that people haven't seen yet. Needless to say i'm not aware of any offical testing.

And the apex of the rudeness in one thread talking about paper for a given printer then reccomeding something entirely different which to be fair isn't as good in B&W with the default ink offerings. I haven't bought HP in some time but I do have respect for their new line.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote