Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 2, 2003, 8:59 AM   #1

Default Printer that does it all

Ok so canon stinks at B&W pictures and does rotten text. Epson 960 does great color pictures, text on plain paper and special paper is a ?. So then what is the best all around Printer that comes with seperate ink cartridges, does great pictures and printing on special papers (labels, decals, iron-ons..ect) and can handel text on plain and higher end plain paper. forget HP, never found an HP printer that caould do pictures even close to Epson and becasue of there strange paper feed can't use them anyway. One paper i will be printing on is thich paper, kind of like cardboard very stiff. One of the thickest papers red river makes.
PhotoMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2003, 5:02 AM   #2

Default making things clear

when i say text printing i'm not talking office documents or anything. I'm talking a home printer that will do some text printing off web and some word processing letters. Plain cheap paper for everyday printing but when it counts will use better quilty paper for text. Yes i own a digital camera and will be doing pictures but not a lot. Will be doing address Labels and Cards sometimes but i don't do this type of printing every day. I liked the Epson 960 but it aint out and the canon does offer user head replacing cartridges which will incress the printers life over time. All i hear laser for text will if i need that bad text then maybe but i'm just a home user who wants great graphics & photos printing with some text throwen in. I think the canon S900 will be the printer for me. Seperate ink carts in a must, tired of wasting color carts becasue one color is used no matter how much they cost.
Old Jan 3, 2003, 7:15 AM   #3

The Canon 900 is your printer choice.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2003, 2:39 PM   #4

The epson 960 uses seperat ink tanks. It also has a denser blacker text than the canon 900 does. It does print slower but the quality is higher. The printheads are replaceable but not very user serviceable. The cost of a printhead will run you about 100+ bucks. Its costly cause it is a very high quality printhead. The canon uses a lower quality printhead that is only rated to print 750 8x10s before a slight noticeable banding occurs. Also the epson uses a photo optimised black that gives you a much darker true black. Vs if you look at the canon they give you this blue or green version of black.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 11:27 AM   #5

Default can't wait for Epson

I wanted to see the 960 before i would buy it but Epson is dragging there feet and my Epson 640 is throwing fits so i decided on the canon S820. IT only cost about $120 and for what i do i think it will be fine. I hate HP for Pictures it only does text good as far as i see it. Canon i always thought was an Epson in sheep clothes, it seams canon was always a step behind Epson. Printer looked so much alike a thought Epson made both brands. I just hope ican find a store that has the canon s820 hookes up so i can see first hand how well it does text & pictures. I guess you really like the 960.
Old Jan 4, 2003, 11:57 AM   #6

If you want to see a 960 in action look for a Fry's electronics in your area. Those are the only stores I have seen recieve the printer.

As far as speed goes it will beat out a 820. Quality on the epson is no question since it has a 2 picoliter drop size. Although the canon does do a good quality the difference probably would'nt be noted unless you held them side by side. The biggest difference is really in the colors with the photo optimised blacks on the epson which lets you make better long shading tones as well as more colors and shades.
Old Jan 4, 2003, 4:21 PM   #7

Default Live in NY

No frys in NY and no other store has it. To bad Epson did not bring it to marked when they said. Epson 960 is faster than the S820? the review doesn't think so on this site but then again 960 hasn't been reviewed. I thought all canon printers were faster than Epson.
Old Jan 7, 2003, 2:51 PM   #8

Well at max resoltuion it is slower than teh 820 but at 1440dpi which looks just as good it will do and 8x10 in about 2-3min which is around the speed of the s820. But speed is'nt the issue I care about its quality.