Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 30, 2005, 6:40 PM   #11

zakezuke wrote:
Quote:
taffyanne wrote:
Quote:
Hubby bought me the printer about 6 months before the camera. I just replaced the ink tanks because they were out and it looks like *&(*(&*. Is the problem with the driver on the mac? I have to reinstall the driver every time I want to recalibrate the colors because I can't find it on my hard drive.This is driving me insane. Hubby went overboard buying me the 20D - don't get me wrong I love it, but I don't use it to the fullest.
I know the feeling. The problem I believe in Canon's wisdom is they offer two modes on the printer. Punchy which is normal for photo paper, and vivid, which is like punchy times 2. Normal paper mode might bi-pass the punch but i'm still experimenting. Punchy to me seems seems like the same form of adjustment one would make when dealing with a Fuji negative when the subject is a caucasian... add warmth to compensate for the dominated blues which tends to make caucasians look like ghosts. I was just recently doing a print of a slovic women who's skin is rather fair... and wow... she somehow managed to get the most excelent mediterranean tan dispite spending all her time in Warsaw and London. It looked brillent, and one could say realistic... if it wasn't for the fact people who grow up near the Baltic tend to not have tans.

To help your sanity... you could print direct from your 20D without the mac. this should help to isolate whether these colors are comming from your driver or from the printer's default settgins (punchy / vivid). The Front port on the printer is for camera direct (pictbridge) printing. If this is still an issue, share what paper you're using.... that should help narrow down what base adjustments one needs to take away the extra punch.

Depending where you live... many places offer digital printing as low as 29c per 4x6, and their printers are going to be a little bit better than your consumer one, no offence.

Will upload a couple of images to see if what you're talking about is what i'm talking about. Printing pending

"Punchy" - not sure what he's talking about. There are more than two modes of adjusting a photo. If you're using the included software, either being Easy Photo print, or Photo Record, there are no color enhancement done to the original as it's either downloaded from the camera OR printed direct from camera to printer using the included cable (which is the same cable used for direct printing (PictBridge). There is a setting in the software for "vivid" photo as well, which is supposed to strengthen the background colors- such as greens and blues without altering flesh tones (if there are any in the picture). Photo Record allows for more adjustment or calibration if desired. In fact,at the store, where people bringin their cameras and memory cards for us to printsamples before they decide tomade a printer purchase, we often get the comment that without using any color adjustment (such as "vivid photo"), that the output looks washed out. Some people though do say that the "punch" is too much, but without any adjustment at all and on"auto" for everything, it looks fine. By far though, most ofthe customer's like the vivid colors. Over the years, if you look back at newer products or "enhancements" that thekodak labs have thrown at us on tv commericials, there are evenadjustments we can ask for at the photo lab beforethey develop our prints (such as vivid photo (which enhances background colors)).

Attached Images

iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 7:02 PM   #12

Here is another setting in the driver to alter/enhance/change the color settings of your photo. Again, these can be used if desired. Also, I would like to know too, what photo paper you are using becuase the paper can make a difference in how it comes out. The reason for asking is because just before you print, the Canon print driver comes up, asking for how many prints you want to make, ect...but ALSO asks you to choose the type of paper you are using (in which, specific adjustments are made for the different Canon papers used). So, not only what paper did you use, but what "setting" did you use? This would also help. I have used these Canon paper settings with success on many of the Epson papers as well. Basically, matte is matte, glossy is low grade, glossy plus is medium grade (as from the photo lab quality paper), and Photo paper pro (set this when using the Epson Premium Glossy Paper AND their Premium Luster - which I really like). Canon now has their own Semi-Gloss paper. I ordered some from the net and am waiting for it to come. It's supposed to be similiar in texture and output as the Epson Luster.
Typically, EasyPhoto Print is for dummies, just like the books. Photo Record allows for better adjustments and is also very easy to use. If you like you can use an external editor, such as Photoshop, makeany adjustments there, that you wish, and thenreturn to PhotoRecordfor sizing and printing. Why NOT print from PhotoShop or any other photo editing program? Not sure, but I've hadbetter sucess with borderless printing and centering the picture the way I want it to turn out as opposed to printing directly from a third party external photo editor.Hopefully not too much marketing in this response, I'm justtrying to be helpfull.

Attached Images

Old Jun 30, 2005, 8:01 PM   #13

She's on a mac.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 8:21 PM   #14

Quote:
If you like you can use an external editor, such as Photoshop, make any adjustments there, that you wish, and then return to PhotoRecord for sizing and printing. Why NOT print from PhotoShop or any other photo editing program? Not sure, but I've had better sucess with borderless printing and centering the picture the way I want it to turn out as opposed to printing directly from a third party external photo editor.
Can you print 8.5 X 11 borderless from Photoshop. I haven't been successful at that.

I find Photo Record to be about the balkiest program I have ever dealt with. You have to import images into albums and Lord knows how you defeat the program's wanting to print it as an album page. Easy Photo Print is at least functional and easy to use as long as what you want to do corresponds with its very limited choices.

I did a couple of prints in vivid photo and they looked like a Disney cartoon. For a very flat image you are too lazy to enhance in Photoshop it might be OK. But for a properly exposed photo it isn't very good IMO.

I use the Canon Pro setting for Red River paper and it comes out fine.

I haven't had color problems. My only problem with the printer is it won't pick up photo paper from the tray after it has been there a while. I will probably just put my super white index stock there and feed the photo paper from the top when I want it. I think the Canon paper lays flatter than the Red River.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2005, 8:29 PM   #15

:roll:For the MAC users, sorry, I can make the screen shots if needed as well. The terms or explanations for the settings still apply, they mean the same.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 8:36 PM   #16

slipe wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
If you like you can use an external editor, such as Photoshop, make any adjustments there, that you wish, and then return to PhotoRecord for sizing and printing. Why NOT print from PhotoShop or any other photo editing program? Not sure, but I've had better sucess with borderless printing and centering the picture the way I want it to turn out as opposed to printing directly from a third party external photo editor.
Can you print 8.5 X 11 borderless from Photoshop. I haven't been successful at that.

I find Photo Record to be about the balkiest program I have ever dealt with. You have to import images into albums and Lord knows how you defeat the program's wanting to print it as an album page. Easy Photo Print is at least functional and easy to use as long as what you want to do corresponds with its very limited choices.

I did a couple of prints in vivid photo and they looked like a Disney cartoon. For a very flat image you are too lazy to enhance in Photoshop it might be OK. But for a properly exposed photo it isn't very good IMO.

I haven't had color problems. My only problem with the printer is it won't pick up photo paper from the tray after it has been there a while. I will probably just put my super white index stock there and feed the photo paper from the top when I want it. I think the Canon paper lays flatter than the Red River.
SLIPE: I love the Red River too, it works well..just fine on the Canon. You can use PhotoRecord for borderless printing. ON the second tab on the left, for choosing album and page type, select "One Photo Per Page", and this is for single, borderless printing. Also, I just prined a picture from PhotoShop, and the Canon dialog box still comes up, click on "Properties" on the right side, and make sure the size and orientation is what you want, along with "borderless" printing is chosen, should be fine.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 9:14 PM   #17

Enclosed is my second experiment. Kirkland photo paper

Image 1 is direct MMC printing glossy paper pro settings
the 3rd image is printing from photo shop plain +15 intensity -1 magenta diffusion

(way too much cyan in the first one for my tastes)

While the intensity overall is rather light... and the bluish sea foam was replaced by well colbalt... I lean tward the light image for it's rendering of moss contrasting with the bark. I still have much tweeking to do to find something happy.

But hey make up your own mind... i'll be doing some more playing with printing to kirkland using the plain paper settings and see what happens.
Attached Images

Old Jul 1, 2005, 1:56 AM   #18

iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:
:roll:For the MAC users, sorry, I can make the screen shots if needed as well. The terms or explanations for the settings still apply, they mean the same.
To quote her "I have to reinstall the driver every time I want to recalibrate the colors because I can't find it on my hard drive.This is driving me insane." I think she can use some mac screens, esp the location of this adjustment.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 8:48 AM   #19

slipe wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback...BTW, I love the Red River Paper too!! It's great, and works well..just fine on the Canon printers. About the PhotoRecord, I know the default setting wants you to put photos in an album, but you can print just single, borderless pictures. After PhotoRecord loads, on the left, click on number #2, "Select Printer & Album Type", and select "One Photo Per Page" from the drop down menu. This will allow for borderless printing.

Old Jul 1, 2005, 2:00 PM   #20

Don't have a scanner to show you, but I don't have a control panel anywhere like that for the printer. If I did I'd use it. Turns out the idiot at MicroCenter gave me two ink cartridges that were meant for another canon so that's why it turned so yellow. Now I'm back to white people looking like lobsters. I've downloaded the drivers from the website, but I still don't have a panel like that one. If I'm too spacey forgive me I'm Pregnant and (&(&(*&(*&(**&
taffyanne is offline   Reply With Quote