Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 14, 2005, 6:38 AM   #1

Brother shows off world's fastest inkjet 12:11PM
Brother has demonstrated a prototype of what it says is the world's fastest inkjet printer, capable of churning out 170 pages in a minute.

The speed results from a new 600x600dpi Piezo Inkjet Line Head. Unlike standard inkjets, where the print head moves across the paper, the Piezo is static, and the paper does all the work. Each colour has a separate A6 print head which stretches across the width of the paper; to get A4 they just string two heads together. In fact, there is no limit to the number that can be arrayed and no impact on speed.

Not only is it fast - as quick as offset litho - because there is less movement the technology also uses less power, around seven per cent of that required by conventional inkjets.

Although the working prototype is being shown at the World Fair in Aichi, Japan, Brother is not saying when the technology will go into production and has hinted that it is seeking a partner to contribute further funding.
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2005, 2:00 AM   #2

yeah, after putting up with clogging Epsons for the last 6 years. I'll pass on Piezo inkjet technology.
OutofExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 5:25 AM   #3

Me too,
they rely on gravity and vibration to splash the paper - once the nozzles gets 'caked' all you can do is to draw ink through from the 'docking' side into the waste pad. The idea of the 'chip' is two-fold' to make it hard to refill and more important to prevent the head from drying out after it has been 'primed'.

Let's face it, Epson must know by now that people either refill or buy 3rd party inks.

When you switch on or do a cleaning cycle, the ink purges into the inkwell as I call it, mixes and makes beutiful colours, this then thickens re-inks the head, the rubber blades wipe across the head pushing the waste ink off and at the same time no doubt filling the nozzles, my guess is they just get 'choked'.

Would be really interesting to see cleaning fluid included in a seperate chamber in the ink tanks - guess this would push the prices up even more.

Davy
Old Jun 17, 2005, 5:33 AM   #4

Full width printheads are nothing new, of course -- thermal printers have used them (with varying success) for decades.

How reliable a piezo (spit & hope) application of it would work in the long term is open to question.

I suspect it might not turn up in low-use printers, where keeping the nozzles clear is always a bugbear.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 10:50 PM   #5

:? I do know Brother needs to be careful with this claim. Lexmark is getting sued right now over their PPM (Page Per Minute), claims.
iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 10:55 PM   #6

:blah:True True, Piezo technology is old and nothing new or more can be done with it. What's in is Canon's FINE technology, a new off-set of their former advanced Micro Fine droplet technology. Their inch long print head is the current standard in inkjet printing and their head can product a ONE (1) picolitre droplet at 1/4800 pitch at 4800x2400 DPI! It's amazing. Also, the top of the line i9900 has over 6144 print nozzles in that inch long print head, able to product a borderless 4"x6" in 21 seconds and a 13"x19" in 3.5 minutes!
iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 9:48 AM   #7

Its only a dream at the moment it would be interesting to see the nozzle cleaning method .... and some ink its gonna' use, unless they insert a cleaning cartridge one way or the other.

It's going to be interesting if Epson gets their way with banning 3rd party inks, plenty people think the chip in the tanks to prevent refilling, thats only part of the reason, the main one being not to let the heads run dry after priming or according to Epson head damage will result.

Davy
Old Jul 11, 2005, 3:26 PM   #8

iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:
Piezo technology is old and nothing new or more can be done with it.

davy wrote:
Quote:
Its only a dream at the moment it would be interesting to see the nozzle cleaning method .... and some ink its gonna' use, unless they insert a cleaning cartridge one way or the other.

It's going to be interesting if Epson gets their way with banning 3rd party inks, plenty people think the chip in the tanks to prevent refilling, thats only part of the reason, the main one being not to let the heads run dry after priming or according to Epson head damage will result.

Davy
Keep in mind that FINE technology is still your old basic thermal bubblejet with minor improvements. While one could say they are using a technique similar to silicon microchips... I believe this to be a huge disadvantage as far as the mediums one can use esp since silicon melts at such a low temprature. Still it's annoying that there are only three basic options for inkjets.

1. Disposable thermal jet
2. To expensive to replace bubble jet
3. Will clog / fail with a proper gasket piezo jet

Epson can't ban 3rd party inks. I know there was a case that's hit the presses about them stopping one company from sending 3rd party carts in the country but unless i'm mistaken it was regarding reverse engineering their chips to apear as if they are epson, annoying the end user with "this isn't epson ink continue" messages.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:52 AM   #9

Dunno what Epson are getting miffed about, may be they don't like the idea of third party ink manufacturers marking them as Epson replaceable as opposed to marking them as third party.

Will never touch Epson again, they waste far too much ink, they clog far too readily, they'er too costly and the service I received from Epson is diabolical.

They clog with OEM and they clog with third party inks, the Epson I had wanted a nozzle clean within 2 days, when it was replaced that wanted a clean within 4 days.

The Canon ip5000 is a few weeks old and never needed a head clean or nozzle check and had only one ink tank replaced.

I have a Brother Word processor and that works with a Lexmark ink tank, the text is terrible and very feathery, it never gets used now.

The new approach sounds a good idea but I certainly won't be rushing out to buy one, I guess doing a nozzle clean will waste more than an Epson, more nozzle to clean thats for sure, and more nozzle to clog.

Davy