Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 25, 2005, 10:34 AM   #1

I have an epson R200 barely 6 months old, but ive lost the receipt of purchase! and therefore cant take it back to the shop i purchased it from, nor get epson dealer to fix it under the warranty. The paper light and the ink light flash on and off red,but the green on light goes out, ive took it to the local pc shop who has tried to reset it using the ssc resetting software, but he says its broke, please say someone can help, as ive just purchased a CIS for it

Look forward to your help

Nicky2
Nicky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2005, 8:30 PM   #2

The ssc service utility for Epsons will only work for the R200 if it's the latest version, so make sure that's what they used.

I don't yet have the service manual for the R200 and the error light sequences differ from those of the R300, but I've been able to find the attached posts elsewhere on the 'net -- hope you can make sense of them:

General Info #1: When the "Power Light" is off and the "Paper Light" & "Ink Light" are both blinking fast [0.1 sec's on + 0.1 sec's off], that indicates a FATAL ERROR service condition. This error is detected when: #1 The "Carriage Unit" cannot move correctly by the external force in each operation, or #2 The "Paper Feed Motor" cannot rotate correctly while the paper feed motor operates. The two most common causes of the fatal error is a dirty & or dry "Carriage Assembly" & a dirty "Encoder Strip/Sensor Strip". You should clean & service those two areas just to eliminate those common problems and see if it helps or not...GENERAL INFO #1, CARRIAGE ASSEMBLY: Although it's possible your printer has an electronic or mechanical failure, the most common problem is that the "Carriage Assembly" is simply DIRTY and or DRY, causing it to stick and make noises. That usually results in the printer loosing track of just where the "Print Cartridge Holder Assembly" is actually at and that can cause the error light/led to come on. Sometimes when the printer looses track of where that assembly is at, it then keeps telling that assembly to keep moving and can even cause it to slam into the end of the printer. Try wiping off all around the round metal carriage bar or shaft [that the print cartridge holder assembly moves back-n-forth on], with a lint free cloth. Also clean the outside of the metal bushings with q-tips, that the carriage bar passes thru, on both sides of the print cartridge holder assembly. You can also use alcohol on the cloth, if there is a lot of build-up on the carriage shaft/bar. Then grease the metal bar on both sides of the holder assembly, slightly with the appropriate grease thats used on some of the newer models. The "R200" & "R210" use a #G63 Grease, which is epson part #1218320. That epson part number info is probably not that valuable, unless you want to order that particular grease. Just in case you are interested in ordering that grease, you can check with Compass Micro, Inc, located at http://www.compassmicro.com/parts_select.cfm . Its possible that the designation of "G63" may be a particular grade of grease, that you can possibly find at a automotive or hardware store, but you would have to actually check to find out. Manually slide the holder assembly back and forth to spread out the lubrication and wipe of any excess grease or blackish build-up that appears on the bar. After the carriage assembly is cleaned & lubed, then you should perform the "Printhead Alignment Procedure" thru the PRINTER PROPERTIES UTILITY thats loaded onto your Computer System, if available on your particular model of ep-son printer. That alignment can be thrown off because of a dirty and or dry carriage assembly. Sometimes people will simply do a re-alignment without cleaning & greasing that assembly. That simply does a quick fix that usually does not last long. Once that assembly is cleaned & greased, the actual alignment is then usually off, from those previously done re-alignments and or the sticking & binding caused from when that assembly was dirty and or dry.

GENERAL INFO #2: ENCODER STRIP/SCALE: Your "R200" has a plastic strip called a "Carriage Scale", that runs thru a sensor mounted on the back of the Print Cartridge Holder Assembly. That strip is usually located beside and slighty behind the carriage bar/shaft and runs from the left side to the right side of the printer. This strip appears to be almost see threw, but has tiny encoder dots on the strip, that give the instructions to the "Printhead Assembly/Print Cartridge Holder Assembly", during a printing job. Sometimes ink splatter will get on that strip, causing the sensor to mis-read the actual encoder dots, causing positioning problems. To eliminate that possibility, you might want to CAREFULLY and VERY GENTLY, clean that strip. You should only use Distilled Water [less chemicals and minerals in distilled water] to clean this strip with. Other fluids and chemicals [such as: alcohol/acetone/ink removers/etc] may actually damage the plastic strip or even wipe off the tiny encoded dots/marks. Then it will of course not work or simply not give the correct information anymore. You can use damp q-tips, but I prefer wet strips of flat coffee filters, folded into an approx two inch length. Once the folded strip is fairly wet [just not dripping], I lay it on the top of the strip and then carefully fold it over the top of the strip and down both the front side and the rear side of the strip. Position one finger on one side of the folded wet strip and your thumb over the other side [the strip will now be covered by the folded wet coffee filter strip]. Use your other hand and firmly hold the strip between your thumb and finger, at as near to one end of the strip as you can. Now slide the wet coffee filter strip slowly and gently along the strip to clean it. You may have to change the wet coffee strip if it gets real dirty. Ink spray/spots/dots that may have collected on the strip, will then be usually cleaned off by the wet coffee filter strips. Its possible that the build-up of ink on the strip, can actually cause the sensor to read the information wrong. The sensor is trying to actually read that ink spray/spots/dots and gets real confused. This can cause strange problems to happen and sometimes can even cause a Service Error Light/Led to come on...WARNING: Be sure that you are holding one end of the strip firmly, so it does not move back and forth while cleaning it with the other hand. If it moves to much it can actually un-hook from its little attachment point/hook and is almost impossible to rehook/reinstall without removing the Top Cover Assembly. If you pull to hard on the strip, it can actually be damaged and break off its attachment point/hook. NO STRIP = NO WORKING PRINTER. SO ALWAYS GO SLOW AND BE VERY CAREFULL WHEN CLEANING, OR EVEN NEAR THAT SENSOR STRIP... Just in case cleaning and servicing both the carriage assy and the carriage scale does not actually help, then you may want to read my posted reply to PINOK, at http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/printer/28911 .
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 1:33 AM   #3

Thanks Idle, i take it you mean the latest version of the ssc service utility? Im not quite sure if it was the latest version they used I can only assume so. Have you any idea where i may be able to download the latest version? then i can give it a go myself when i get the printer back. As for the rest of the post, i had managed to find that and was thinking of giving it a go, its not working at the moment so i guess i've nothing to lose.

Thanks
Old Jun 26, 2005, 4:17 AM   #4

Get it here: http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 12:38 AM   #5

Thanks again