Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 8, 2005, 6:03 PM   #1

I currently use the ip1500 for photo printing. Overall, it prints photos well for a 50 dollar printer but I feel as though the pics could be sharper. When I look at a pic on the monitor, it is very clear but when I print it on the ip1500 with Canon Paper Plus Glossy, there is sometimes a subtle bit of haze/fuzziness in the pic. I think I'm just being picky and most people may even say that the photo looks fine. I know I'm using the cheapest printer in Canon's current lineup so I was just curious if the ip3000 or 4000 will print sharper pics assuming all other variables stay the same.
kdt82002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2005, 6:53 PM   #2

kdt82002 wrote:
Quote:
I currently use the ip1500 for photo printing. Overall, it prints photos well for a 50 dollar printer but I feel as though the pics could be sharper. When I look at a pic on the monitor, it is very clear but when I print it on the ip1500 with Canon Paper Plus Glossy, there is sometimes a subtle bit of haze/fuzziness in the pic. I think I'm just being picky and most people may even say that the photo looks fine. I know I'm using the cheapest printer in Canon's current lineup so I was just curious if the ip3000 or 4000 will print sharper pics assuming all other variables stay the same.
Does the ip1500 use a dye or pigment black? I honestly don't know other than it's either 9.5ml or 10ml, on par with HP's sub $100 printers. I know the last time I looked at the cost/page for black the ip1500 was a fair bit higher than the ip3000... a good reason spending the $15 more for it.But it lacks the dye black which tends to look flat on glossy paper.

I have both the ip3000 and mp760 (basicly a ip4000). I need to burn off some ink so I can start using my MIS ink, so why not submit an image and judge for your self.

In terms of photoquality, i've seen only the ip2000 which another sub $50 printer, I remember it being very passable. High contrast, extra deep blues, but very clear.

If your interested in upgrading tigerdirect has the i960 still for $80 + shipping. If I didn't need cd printing i'd buy one. No large pigment ink but light cyan/magenta. Very nice photo printer.

Outpost.com has the mp750 for $100 +$30ish shipping, basicly an ip4000 with a sheet feeder scanner onboard.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 7:27 PM   #3

Have you tried going to the Canon WEB site and 'up-loading' your picture so that they can do a print for you on your selected printer, from memory they got to be in jpeg and not too large.

I use the ip5000, the ip4000 is the same apart from the 1pl heads and a slightly slower
print speed, these printers uses a dye black along with dye inks for photos but for text it uses a larger pigmanted black ink. The photo black they call 'contrast plus' and it gives the photos a little boost.

I'm not sure what inks the ip1500 uses, I feel you need to be a little careful incase its not digital noise or something to do with the inks and paper, the best bet is as suggested send them a picture and let them print it on whatever printer you are interested in and then they will post it on to you - worth a try I think.

One thing though, I'm in the UK and you can do this with Canon UK, other regional areas may have different policies.

You sure can't go wrong with the ip4000, one thing to bear in mind if you order from the UK you'll have to use a voltage adapter but at least you will have CD printing.

Davy
davy is offline   Reply With Quote