Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 12, 2005, 4:00 AM   #1

I use my Epson R800 printer regularly enough that I don't want to continue buying the Epson brand inks - they are simply too expensive.

But I have seen warnings on some websites that unless you print regularly, as in weekly or more frequently, a CIS system will suffer problems through the ink being still within the tubing. Now I would probably print a batch on average every 2-3 weeks so should I start looking elsewhere for a thrid party system?

Compatible cartridges or - *gulp - stick with Epsons own brand?

*Put this in the wrong forum earlier - so here it is in its proper place.
redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2005, 6:07 AM   #2

I'm interested in a CIS setup too, can't seem to find any legit reviews or real info. Everything I see online, I get the feeling a company is spamming their product. I have an i4000 and will be printing a bunch of cd's weekly. I'd love to see a in depth run down of how well CIS system works, and how much the running costs are. The Niagara III I'm looking at is $250, without the bulk ink. This is one of the only Canon CIS's I can find. Interested in seeing an actual cost per page, not some hyped up company numbers.

http://www.mediastreet.com/cgi-bin/t...AN01&set=5

quebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 6:27 AM   #3

I'd agree there's some risk of line clogs with the pigment inks if not used frequently -- less so with dye inks, which are usually fine up to three or four weeks.

You might look for refillable auto-reset cartridges instead -- try for the transparent ones with no-sponge construction.

These can normally be refilled in the printer and you can see when they need topping up.

Do search on Ebay -- there are lots of sellers out there and some may have exactly what you want.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 1:39 PM   #4

I have very different opinion.

Lets say you pay $350 on R800, how much bucks you will pay on its cartridges within 2 years?

I am sure it will be few times more than $350, agree?

if you can try to not pay that much on cartridge, why not give it a try?

Comparing with high cost of cartridge, printer is pretty much disa disposable anyway.

phplarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 2:29 PM   #5

I love the idea of the money I could save with a CIS setup, but I find it tough to think about spending a good chunk of money on a product that might not work all that well. My biggest issue is every CIS system I've come across is made by a company I've never heard of at all. The Niagra one looks pretty sweet, 250 bucks with no ink bottles is steep though. Maybe I'll take a chance and order it. I wonder how many 8x10's I could print with 8 ounce ink bottles

Old Jul 12, 2005, 2:55 PM   #6

maybe you can do some search on the internet to see which one is good for you.

if I were you, price would not be my concern. it's the "cost of biz" ...

i never used any CIS system, but plan to go after that too.

Printer manufacturers sell cheap printer, (okay, "relative cheap") and make money from cartridge and it seems that every new design innovation is based on how to increase their ink sales, that's the point i am fed up with.

Old Jul 12, 2005, 3:00 PM   #7

price isn't my concern in the big picture, quality would be #1. But, I wouldn't invest 200+ dollars in a system that gives me prints that aren't really cheaper then getting some ink carts from megatoner.com. I've googled my butt off, and there's just nothing from any sites I know about. Typically it's some company saying "this is the greatest product ever!" when it's kind of obvious it's their product. CIS seems like the way to go, I just want to see a hands on review.

Old Jul 12, 2005, 3:51 PM   #8

I did a little bit research on the Internet.

a couple of reviews I think are authentic:

http://www.inkrepublic.com/members/o...hop/review.asp

http://www.jondokken.com/EpsonCIS/EpsonCIS.htm

http://members.cox.net/rmeyer9/epson/nomorecarts.html

Since you are looking for R800 CIS, the first review maybe helpful.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 8:53 PM   #9

It's also quite possible to refill the OEM cartridges -- I'll confess I've not tried it, but there's no reason it shouldn't work.

http://www.inkbank.com.au/webcontent13.htm

will give you details of how it's done.

Getting back to CIS, some of the Chinese vendors are now getting their act together and turning out quite good systems (the chip design is much better, you don't get the 'incompatible cartridge' messages any more, the printers mostly don't do excessive head cleans etc.) and the supply bottle sets using the constant pressure "Mariotte bottle" system are excellent.

I hesitate to recommend any specific unit (I don't sell them and I'm not connected with anyone who does) but there are some really good-looking systems out there and not all are expensive.

I like the look of InkRepublic's cartridges, but they still seem to use the older "syphon" feed bottles in which the suction required to maintain flow varies with the ink level in the bottle -- whether this is really of consequence I can't say, but in theory the Mariotte system should be more reliable, as the ink feed drag on the print-head remains at about the same level.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 1:17 PM   #10

idle,

very informative.

did you mean Chinese chipset can "crack" Epson's driver and enforce printer recognizing it as an original epson chipset? if so, I wont go that route, because it's illegal. you know, Chinese is pretty good at violating copyright. They dont respect copyright and patent at all.Besides, we will get into trouble if using such system too.

I need to gather more information about "CIS". If any of you has tried http://Inkrepublic.com CIS, please feed me more info. especially the "chipset recognition" part.