Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 19, 2005, 11:34 AM   #1

hi everybody.
i want to know if it is good to use other and alot more cheaper crtridges and can they make the head nozzles fill and dry,i mean those cartridges that cost about 2$ ?
yashar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2005, 2:13 PM   #2

yashar wrote:
Quote:
hi everybody.
i want to know if it is good to use other and alot more cheaper crtridges and can they make the head nozzles fill and dry,i mean those cartridges that cost about 2$ ?
You might want to check out http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=12
The forum is geard tward after market inks and cartridges.

I only have experence direct experence with MIS inks from inksupply.com, and haven't used them long enough in the canon to make a valued judgement.

Their refill kit, the empty blanks and ink costs about $40 for a 2oz kit. This boils down to about 2 refills for the black, and 4 refills for each color and dye black. The price works out to be $2.50 each color refill and about $5.00 each big black refill until such time as you buy more bulk ink. Use of the kit, even though you are spending $5.00 for virgin empty carts, saves you $15.98 on the black, and $155.44 on the color.

Bulk ink after the fact is $5 or $8 per 2 or 4 oz bottle respectivly.

Playing devils advocate, even if this method reduces your print head life.. a replacement printhead costs between $60 and $80, and item which technicaly has a limited lifespan of about 20,000 pages or so. The last time I did the math it worked out to be possibly $1 to $2 extra per cart per refil extra. Needless to say even if your only able to print with 1oz of aftermarket ink (about 2 refills color) and you had to buy another printhead, you break even, and anything after that using bean counter ecconomics is a huge savings.

----

$2.00 each sounds to me like refileld carts. If they use foam they tend to have a higher failure rate simply because eventually the foam becomes clogged. Even the best outlets know this and most likely offer free replacements in this eventuality. One of the biggest worries of aftermarket inks is lightfastness. But the canon bci-6 OEM ink is pretty bad it self in terms of faiding. Get the skinny from others who bought the same thing first.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote