Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 20, 2005, 7:08 PM   #1

I am in the market to replace my HP 8450 for photo printing due to loooooooong photo dry time. Now, I have been reading the treads on 6 color vs 4 color printing. You guys say the 1 picoliter printing on the ip5000 prints as good as the 6 color ip6000. But it takes longerfor the printout on the ip5000 on the highest quality setting which you have to be on to get the 1 picoliter drop. So would it be safe to say that if speed is a priority that it would be better to spend an extra 20 bucks and get the 6 ink ip6000 orare the printouts on the ip5000 better with the 1 picoliter setting? I do not want to sacrifice quality for speed but I will pay an extra 20 bucks to get them both. Any thoughts on this matter? Thanks in advance.
arowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2005, 7:28 PM   #2

Why start a new thread? Haven't you already said that you don't like the Canon output?

Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2005, 9:25 PM   #3

No one was posting on the other thread so I thought I would try to spark up a conversation. Anywho, I really did not like the output of my i960. Nor did I like the output of the ip5000 or ip6000 in the store but I did not get a chance to up the colors or vividness of the two printers. HP is out of the question. Epson is out because of the printhead problems and the ink cost a little more than Canon. So that really only leaves me with one option. Canon. I guess I have to look at it this way, I can either keep spending butt loads of money on ink and paper with my HP and in the end have prints I really cant use anyway, or, sacrifice a little "depth and vividness" and acually have prints I can use and sell for years to come with Canon. I guess you cant have everything on a limited budget. I just need to know which one,ip5000 or ip6000, would be the better choice.

Thanks again for the replys
Old Jul 21, 2005, 1:56 AM   #4

arowana wrote:
Quote:
No one was posting on the other thread so I thought I would try to spark up a conversation. Anywho, I really did not like the output of my i960. Nor did I like the output of the ip5000 or ip6000 in the store but I did not get a chance to up the colors or vividness of the two printers. HP is out of the question. Epson is out because of the printhead problems and the ink cost a little more than Canon. So that really only leaves me with one option. Canon. I guess I have to look at it this way, I can either keep spending butt loads of money on ink and paper with my HP and in the end have prints I really cant use anyway, or, sacrifice a little "depth and vividness" and acually have prints I can use and sell for years to come with Canon. I guess you cant have everything on a limited budget. I just need to know which one,ip5000 or ip6000, would be the better choice.

Thanks again for the replys
I wouldn't go ip6000 unless I needed the CD printing, in all respects in terms of printing the i960 is superior in terms of output quality and speed. Keep in mind that this was canon's $400/$300 printer two years ago and the ip6000 is a sub $200 printer. If you already have the i960 there is IMHO absolutely no reason to go with the i6000. The only thing better than the i960 in the consumer line presently is the i8500 fetching $300ish mail order. Like you I am somewhat distressed with canon's rendering of colors, this sometimes can be resolved with tweeking the colors or going with non-canon inks.

The following is an example by neilslade testing canon OEM vs inkgrabber and mis inks. MIS I have direct experence with on the canons but only a couple of weeks worth.
http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/inktest.html

At present i'm having a hard time finding good reviews of 3rd party inks for the Canons, esp offerings from Media Street and lyson... and lyson unfortunatly doesn't offer their own color profile for i960... and I don't know the S series well enough to be able to tell which one is similar to the current line up. But needless to say I am another person not 100% happy with canon's color rendering and feel it could use some improvement. But as far as canon is concerned unless you are more happy with their high end offering, the only other viable solution is tweeking with the colors your self, finding better color profiles, or going with different inks.

The ip5000 while cool in many aspects isn't highly regarding by some people prefering the lower resolution ip4000. This may change with the new model comming out in September (ip4200) but as no one has seen this yet who knows.

Keep in mind your current hp uses very decent ink if a tad slow to dry
http://www.wilhelm-research.com/hp/8450.html
It's one of the few OEM dye options one would consider hanging in a gallery... otherwise pigments like the ones that epson offers are the primary choice.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 5:11 AM   #5

I think mabey I will go out this weekend and buy up some paper from other companys,"Epson,Kodak,Canon"and see if they can make a difference. Mabey it is just the paper. Hards80 posted on the other thread and has the 8450 also and says he does not have this same problem. I asked him to let me know what kind of paper he was useing and what settings his printer was set at. Hopefully that will help.

Thanks again