Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 13, 2003, 7:18 PM   #1

Default Canon S9000 or Epson Stylus Photo 2200?

I am making a small run of perfect bound books, and I need a inkjet printer to print the covers. I am using 11x17 KromeKote C1S 12pt card stock for the book covers. For those of you that don’t know, this is a white card stock that is shinny on one side and dull on the other. It is used by printers for the same purpose, but they use printing presses of course.

I was looking over the inkjet printers in the reviews and it seems like only two printers might work. One is the Canon S9000 and the other is the Epson Stylus Photo 2200. I also noticed that the Canon used dye inks and the Epson used pigment inks.

I am sure either one will make an acceptable book cover, but I am concerned about the ink rubbing off on sweaty hands of the reader. I am wondering which one would be better, Canon dye inks or Epson pigment inks? I could varnish the covers and it would solve the problem, but perhaps I can buy a inkjet printer that has inks that do not smear when they get wet.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Kori
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2003, 9:09 PM   #2

Dye inks are probably going to run easier than the pigment particle based inks in the 2200. Its a general rule. The 2200 prints are designed to last a long time. Although as far as compatability with prnting press paper I'm not sure if either one is going to work. I would first find a couple of test printers and make a test print on each paper to make sure it does'nt bead up on your paper. With inkjets you need a coating to asorb the ink onto.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote