Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 21, 2005, 5:46 PM   #1

I made a tray insert for my cd's, if I do a test print on regular paper with the default settings, the text at the bottom (7 point) is fairly clear and easy to read. If I print the same thing, but on HP glossy cd insert paper, with the settings to "high" and the paper to "glossy" the text looks really washed out, and isn't legiable.

Now I understand how different papers give you different quality with different printers. But, shouldn't it be safe to assume at worst the text on the glossy print to be equal to the "normal" print on regular copy paper? I've looked and it doesn't seem Canon makesglossy insert paper. I'll buy another brand today to see if it actually is the HP brand that's causing the issue.
quebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2005, 7:49 PM   #2

quebert wrote:
Quote:
I made a tray insert for my cd's, if I do a test print on regular paper with the default settings, the text at the bottom (7 point) is fairly clear and easy to read. If I print the same thing, but on HP glossy cd insert paper, with the settings to "high" and the paper to "glossy" the text looks really washed out, and isn't legiable.

Now I understand how different papers give you different quality with different printers. But, shouldn't it be safe to assume at worst the text on the glossy print to be equal to the "normal" print on regular copy paper? I've looked and it doesn't seem Canon makesglossy insert paper. I'll buy another brand today to see if it actually is the HP brand that's causing the issue.
I don't know the answer to your question... but a likely hypothesis would be that the disc mode you're printing in is using the pigment black and the paper mode is using the dye black.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 12:24 AM   #3

Quote:
quebert wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

I don't know the answer to your question... but a likely hypothesis would be that the disc mode you're printing in is using the pigment black and the paper mode is using the dye black.

hummm... I select photo glossy paper for paper type, the text is white, the background is completly black. I messed with the advance settings, and changing a few of the profile settings, and setting it to "print bitmap" in Illustrator is giving me better results. guess this printer just requires a lot more tweeking then my r200 did. it's worth it tho
quebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 2:38 AM   #4

quebert wrote:
Quote:
hummm... I select photo glossy paper for paper type, the text is white, the background is completly black. I messed with the advance settings, and changing a few of the profile settings, and setting it to "print bitmap" in Illustrator is giving me better results. guess this printer just requires a lot more tweeking then my r200 did. it's worth it tho
It requires *A LOT* more tweeking. My r200 experence was better in terms of consistency of the print on most media types, but required more physical tweeking with the windex and the paper towels. The ink also seemed darker, esp when it was spilling out of my printer.

I have yet to solve the mystery of when the pigment black kicks in... it might be more inclined to kick in when you select "text and photo". Printing from a bitmap isn't going to be clear from a software standpoint what is photo and what is text. The ip3000 this isn't an issue.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2005, 1:42 PM   #5

zakezuke wrote:
Quote:
I have yet to solve the mystery of when the pigment black kicks in... it might be more inclined to kick in when you select "text and photo".
Probably whenever ordinary paper is used and not when photo paper.

I have never had any sucess with HP paper and Canon ink. The ink dries eventually but there is a lot of pooling on dark areas. Epson Premium Glossy seems OK and is the one on sale at cheaper prices locally.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote