Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 30, 2005, 5:55 PM   #11

arowana wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for all the help. Man, I will be glad when I can stuff my brain with all this info and actually remember it. For now I have a stack of printed info from all over that I go through every night. And this info will be added to it.

Well since I posted last my options have changed. My wife is requesting that we get a wide format printer. So I went toBest Buy ,sorry thats really the only electronics store around here that carrys a good selection, and checked out the R1800. Man that is one beast of a printer. I really liked theoutput on that printer. Very colorful but not to punchy on the vivid side. Buts thats ok. Most of the people I print for, and myself included, do not really care so much for puncy color as they do for clarity and sharpness.And this printer delivers that. They did not have a i9900 to test against.

Onething that I did like is R1800 did not have all those consumer extras such as screens and card readers attached to it so that makes me think that the extrahigh price tag is a result of better photo printing technology and not just sales gimmiks. Correct me if I am wrong.

After doing a little research the clear winner of these two printers is not as apparent as I thought it would be.

If I read things correctly the R1800 is not really a 8 color printer because of the 2 blacks and gloss optimizer. Plus it is still capable of the cloged head problem because of the inks used.

The only bad thing I have read about the i9900 is the print life being shorter than Epson. FadeingI mean. Being that all my prints are going into frames, Thats not a real concern to me. The only thing I wish The Canon had was the ability to print Panos on a roll. A 13x44 inch print has got to be a sight to behold.

So back to questions again. Sorrrrrrryyyyy. But, please correct me on any thing I miss represented. Post anything I left out. And give me your opinion on these two printers. Or you can tell me to forget all these and just go with the R200. Whatever it takes to please my wife, customers and my own pickyness over prints.

Hey all I really wanted when this started was a dry print in less than a month!!!! And now look at me. I am a mess. Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just want to PRINT!!!!!!
The epson r200 is so cheap right now.. as in it costs less than the ink that it might be worth just trying it on for size. I didn't enjoy success with mine and abandoned it in favor of my canons but this is not to say I didn't enjoy it's output.. in fact I loved it. It's not a wide, and the inks are dye... but dyes look great on photo paper. Larger drop size than the r800 or the r1800.

What you say about the printlife being shorter in the i9900.. and the ip8500 is true from my experence. The canon bci-6 ink is not very light fast at all. I am to be fair doing a side window test with canon paper and canon ink... which I will later contrast with MIS ink. After one month it still looks like a picture. In order to get longer life prints out of the canon you either have to order inks from japan
http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...884951-8448305
bci-7s... or go with a third party solution like that from
http://www.lyson.com/lyson-longevity.html
http://www.mediastreet.com/

***I have no direct experence with Japanese Canon inks or lyson nor mediastreet*** ***I have no evidence bci-7 inks will be sold in america, nor do I know anyone who has used them personaly*** ***what americans will get is cli-8 inks on the newer i4200 printer.. which cost as much as epson inks or shipping inks from japan*** ***I have no direct experence with Canons bci6 light cyan/magenta inks***

Yes, the r1800 has the two blacks and one clear, blue red and CMY. This is more a serious consumer printer than anything else, and gets points over the r800 in terms of software. The only fancy extra is the ability to print on rolls... which if you do any form of panaramic printing this would be of great benifit over canon... canons are limited to what was it 24 inches or so.

The r2400 gives you light cyan, light magenta, CMY, and 3 blacks of of a choice of 4 blacks. No clear cart, so users will have to manualy spray their paper with a clear coat if they want glossy. But this printer is $800+. I think you lose the ability to print on CDs but gain the ability to print on super heavy card stocks, we're talking water color stock that is stiff as plywood.

But as long as you fetch that cleaning manual from my prior link, and don't mind cleaning maintance... epsons look good.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 6:43 PM   #12

Thanks again for the replys. I think I will stop posting on this thread. I seem to have took it over from Lone Register who has already made his desision and bought a printer. The only thing I want to ask is why you did not specify more on the i9900? I am not biased on a printer like some people are. I do not care what name is on the printer, I care about the product coming out of it. After my reading and research I find far less flaws with the i9900 and that is important to me. I do not want to spend my money on things like card readers and preview screens so that rules out the PIXMA series by Canon. I only want to buy things I am going to use. I have a high speedcard reader and a$600.00 dollar 21 inch widescreen previewer on my computer. Do not need another. I also have no need for CD printing. Quality, Color and least amount of aggrivation. Thats what I am looking for. Mabey Lone Register is on to something. Mabey I should just go out and buy a i9900 and quit babbeling.

Thanks for all your help zakezuke. Just a few thoughts on the i9900 from ya and I will let you be.
arowana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 7:16 PM   #13

Hey Arowana,

I just have had bad 2nd party experiences with the Epsons. I am in IT, and have for the most part been a dyed in the wool HP fan. However, this i9900 sure has me impressed. Quick, easy, and pretty simple. I have run 1 8x10 through it (looks great!) and I have run about 20 or so 4x6's through it. The ink levels all report full still (If I am reading it right).

My wifes Canon ELPH 400 turns out pictures that are a bit on the red side for skin tones - but my Canon 20d turns out some pretty nice skin tone pics. So I think it's her camera and not the i9900.

the 4x6's are dang quick. Get them printed, close the app, turn around in your chair and they are just about done. Dry to my touch - but again, I am not smudging/rubbing them right off the press either.

I don't know about lifetime yet - but in the days that I have had it, no loss of color yet on any pictures.

My brother, also into IT, had an epson he swore by, but 4 months later, the pictures he sent us were blank paper. He also had to run the unclog routine pretty much all the time. That one thing, the clogged print heads, turned me off to epsons pretty much forever.

I might have picked up their 2400 except for that fact.

I have yet to take a picture with my 20d that warrants the full monty 13x19, but I have 10 sheets just waiting for it!

I am curious about the type 7 and type 8 rumors. But we'll see if/when they get here.

btw- compared to my 6840 - the i9900 really shines.

And, I have had neighbors come over, pick up a 4x6 that I have lying around and go, wow - that's an inkjet print?

This is all on Canon paper with canon type 6 inks. I think it's the photo paper plus glossy stock. One step down from the top of the line 4x6 stuff. (I picked up a 120 pack).

What I'd really be interested to hear is - is the i9900, the 8750 or the 2400 what pro's use to give pictures out to their customers? Or do they use photo labs?
LoneRegister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 7:19 PM   #14

arowana wrote:
Quote:
Thanks again for the replys. I think I will stop posting on this thread. I seem to have took it over from Lone Register who has already made his desision and bought a printer. The only thing I want to ask is why you did not specify more on the i9900? I am not biased on a printer like some people are. I do not care what name is on the printer, I care about the product coming out of it. After my reading and research I find far less flaws with the i9900 and that is important to me. I do not want to spend my money on things like card readers and preview screens so that rules out the PIXMA series by Canon. I only want to buy things I am going to use. I have a high speedcard reader and a$600.00 dollar 21 inch widescreen previewer on my computer. Do not need another. I also have no need for CD printing. Quality, Color and least amount of aggrivation. Thats what I am looking for. Mabey Lone Register is on to something. Mabey I should just go out and buy a i9900 and quit babbeling.

Thanks for all your help zakezuke. Just a few thoughts on the i9900 from ya and I will let you be.
I understand where you are comming from... I find I actually use the screen on my mp760 for making enlargements from slides.

But if you want the i9900 by all means go get. I think the firewire might be limited to mac, but don't quote me on it.

The ip8500 and the i9900 share a printhead, just the ip8500 is a pixma with possible cd printing where the i9900 is a printer, just a printer, no dual trays no go faster stripes.... just a a3+ printer, a large printer.

The only serious issue I have with canon in general is the lack of winxp-64 drivers. This is only an issue right now for those users running win-xp-pro who are running 64bit chips and get the free upgrade from their OEM or Microsoft. I take exception because the other guys are making xp-64 drivers knowing full well it's only a matter of time before microsoft goes 64bit only totally abandoning any 16 bit software support. I only hope they change their mind by this time next year. CD-printing isn't an option, but you're not worried about that. You do at the very least get pictbridge unlike the epsons.

Keep in mind that most of the inks are the same as your i950, except the red and green inks. Both the ip8500 and i9900 use the same drop size but are able to print at 4800x2400, though limited to 4800x1200 at the bottom of the page. I would strongly urge you to see it in action because of your displeasure with the i960.

I have far less personal experence on the i9900. To be honest any friends into digital photography go epson, either with a couple of r200s which spend a good deal of time in the shop, or the r800 / r1800 which spend time in the shop... and happy they get free ink after a shop visit. 8 inks at 15 a pop is annoying. But I can't speak about the color on the i9900 as i've not looked at the prints long enough to adquatly judge. In theory if you can find the ip8500 in your local retail shop that should give you some idea.

Old Jul 30, 2005, 7:27 PM   #15

I'll happily print a few 4x6's and kick them off in the mail to you if you want.

Anyone have some high quality pictures that I can use as samples for arowana?

Kevin
Private message me for my email
Old Jul 30, 2005, 8:02 PM   #16

LoneRegister wrote:
Quote:
I'll happily print a few 4x6's and kick them off in the mail to you if you want.

Anyone have some high quality pictures that I can use as samples for arowana?

Kevin
Private message me for my email

If you mean high resolution...
http://fish.periastron.com/jwoodard/HPIM0066.JPG

this might do the trick
Old Aug 3, 2005, 2:35 AM   #17

Wow. I just printed that pic in 8x10, for the fun of it, putting my new MP750 through its paces. I couldn't believe how fast it finished; I heard it stop making any sound and thought it had paused to think but the full page was right there on the output tray. Holy cow.

I just replaced an Epson Stylus Color 800. That gives you an idea of what I was used to. Given that there are budget printers out there for like $20.00 I can only imagine that the dumpster is the only viable destination for this old Epson. The clogged heads, the interminably long startup time, the ridiculously short ink tank lifetime. Gawd, it's amazing I put up with it for all these years, I should have gone back to my HP DeskJet 500 (for plaintext docs anyway).

My last experience with Canon Bubblejets was 5-or-so years ago, when I picked up the Epson. Back then, the Canons were slow slow slow. Times have changed. (This Pixma also replaces an old Astra 1220P scanner. No more big fat parallel cables and crashing drivers, just a nice skinny USB2 cable. Nice to have finally joined the 21st century here.
highlandsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 9:53 AM   #18

How was the quality of the i9900 vs the 800 in your opinion?
Old Aug 12, 2005, 2:28 PM   #19

LoneRegister wrote:
Quote:
How was the quality of the i9900 vs the 800 in your opinion?
You might note, he said the 800, NOT R800. Quite different animals.

I've heard a lot of stuff about clogged Epsons. In the year I had mine, I did not have any clogging issues. However, I did always turn the printer off, using the switch on the printer. I've also heard a lot of people say they don't. Perhaps there is a correlation.

There is also probably a correlation with location and local humitidy levels. I'm in Anaheim, and we have marine influence and a moderate level of humidity. I would imagine that in a dry climate the ink remaining in the heads would tend to dry out, increasing the level of clogging.

Cheers, Eric
erichlund is offline   Reply With Quote