Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 23, 2005, 3:11 PM   #1

Has any one found out how much it would cost (in CDN dollars please) to make make a 4x6" photo on the Canon 4000, I'm interesting only in the INK cost, as I know the cost of the paper, various types of pics would be printed.

dave
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2005, 3:54 PM   #2

I've seen one consumer report where they got 44 A4 photos ( about 180 6x4) from one set of carts. It didn't say how they decided to stop, whether it was printer software warning ink low or carts actually out. If cost is the major consideration, look at local photo print shops.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 4:17 PM   #3

Is this on a Canon 4000? I was just interested in knowing the approximate cost because I want to see if it is feasible to get this printer instead of going down to my local Wal Mart. So if it is more than lets say $ .75 and upwards I would consider that too expensive for a 4X6 print.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 5:37 PM   #4

It was on an i860 but there would be very little difference for the iP4000.

I don't know what your ink costs are in Canada. In NZ genuine Canon carts are about US$9 each, 3rd party around US$5.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 9:29 PM   #5

jaydee wrote:
Quote:
Is this on a Canon 4000? I was just interested in knowing the approximate cost because I want to see if it is feasible to get this printer instead of going down to my local Wal Mart. So if it is more than lets say $ .75 and upwards I would consider that too expensive for a 4X6 print.
There is roughly a 4:1 ratio beween 8.5x11 and 4x6. Where leter is 93.5in^2 and 4x6=24. Let's just say 3.9.

IIRC there the bci-6 inks, the ones typicaly used for color have a yield of 280p assuming 5% per page. Divide by 20 and you get 14 pages at 100% yield. As we are talking 4x6 here... multiply by 3.9 and we get 54.9 prints.

Assuming you print at 100% page yield and you spend $15 each for the inks (wild guess) or $60 it floats at $1.00 each... worst case sceenro. Reality would be based on what you actually print... unless it happens to be gothic churches at night. Most prints contain many colors in diffrent spots, not all black and color in one, except gothic churches at night.

Walmart and other places that offer sub dollar dye sub printing are a great deal and should be your first choice unless you want to do it in house, esp if your subject is gothic churches at night.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote