Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 26, 2005, 3:00 PM   #1

Have a new Epson R300, and it prints flawlessly. But the TDK cd I got does not reproduce a photo very well, and I am assuming that there must be differences in the way different manufacturers coat them. Does anyone have any experience with this to recommend a CD that will prouce a better looking image? I can use the TDK for text OK, but really want a better one for images.
georgephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2005, 8:59 PM   #2

There are several coatings used on printable CD/DVD and not all are white, nor are all of them glossy.

The grey ones don't print as well.

I've had good results with Ritek printable media -- but then I rarely print photos on them, just identification and perhaps a small bit of clipart.

I don't think any of them are up to glossy photo paper quality -- more like 'coated inkjet photo' paper, and remember they're not waterproof!
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 2:51 PM   #3

they have glossy printable media, not sure exactly how photo quality they are. But, the media is expensive. I've seen it 2 or 3 places online, cd's were around 80 cents each, if not a bit more. I was going to order a 25 pack to test them. but I can't get my ip4000 to even print in a glossy quality mode with the cd tray. I know I could on my Epson, maybe I'll hook that back up and try it.

quebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 2:53 PM   #4

Just to add, don't forget there are CD's now that are for thermal printing, the ones you want are the plain white ones for 'inkjet use'.

You didn't say how many of those you have, if you happen to have a stack of them and they don't print, why not try sticking a CD lable on and trying to print that way.

Davy
davy is offline   Reply With Quote