Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 28, 2005, 5:55 AM   #1

:OI purchased a Canon MP780 to replace my HP G85. Normally I print my photos on an Epson, but wanted to see what this thing could do out of the box. I started printing off some Anniversary pics that were shot outside, all in the darkness of the night. After about 15 photos, I noticed that the Y, C and M cartridges were moving downward, but that the Photo black had not budged yet. I expected that, but wanted to see where the breakpoint for the black to show some usage was. Well, about 40 or so pics later, the colors were just about out, but the black had still not shown anydepletion on the display.My Epson would have been visibly showing the wear at this point with all the Gothic backdrops. I tested the nozzles for function, and they look fine. Is this ratio of usage normal for the Canon, or this model? It almost looks like the dark backgrounds wereproduced by combinations of the colorswithout aid of the black.All were printed with the Canon software and settings. I am impressed by the output quality for an all-in-one machine. I've never been able to get that kind of quality from the HP's that I've owned or used in the past (Multifunctions only), hence thededicated Epson. Just wondering what your experiences were. Thanks.
zocalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2005, 2:54 PM   #2

Had my ip4000 for a few weeks. The LOVELY Status Monitor was reporting all my inks as full, then yesterday it says "black is low!" I pull it out to see how low, the main chamber is bone dry. This is the smaller black cart, the big 2nd one is still almost 100% full. The rest of my inks are about 50-60% full. I printed A LOT of black though so that's probably why it ran out so much quicker. I dunno about that big black cart, think looks almost untouched as far as ink usage.

quebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 4:27 PM   #3

zocalo wrote:
Quote:
:OI purchased a Canon MP780 to replace my HP G85. Normally I print my photos on an Epson, but wanted to see what this thing could do out of the box. I started printing off some Anniversary pics that were shot outside, all in the darkness of the night. After about 15 photos, I noticed that the Y, C and M cartridges were moving downward, but that the Photo black had not budged yet. I expected that, but wanted to see where the breakpoint for the black to show some usage was. Well, about 40 or so pics later, the colors were just about out, but the black had still not shown anydepletion on the display.My Epson would have been visibly showing the wear at this point with all the Gothic backdrops. I tested the nozzles for function, and they look fine. Is this ratio of usage normal for the Canon, or this model? It almost looks like the dark backgrounds wereproduced by combinations of the colorswithout aid of the black.All were printed with the Canon software and settings. I am impressed by the output quality for an all-in-one machine. I've never been able to get that kind of quality from the HP's that I've owned or used in the past (Multifunctions only), hence thededicated Epson. Just wondering what your experiences were. Thanks.
I'm on the mp760... Cyan for me was the first to go, followed by magenta.

To be honest, i'm not sure how well that status monitor works. It uses a prism and light to establish ink levels, and from my experence it goes from full to half to empty, though my cyan went from full to empty. I just checked and my Cyan is well almost empty again and still reading fullish where the origional black has about 10% left, the pigment black is well about 75%. Perhaps the mp780 has a better status monitor, I just checked the ip3000 and mp760 and both are reading 100% full, even the front screen on the mp760 is reading 100% full.

Based on my sub month experence.. i'm about ready to replace my cyan for the 2nd time where the small black might need to be replaced soon. So for me I have a ratio of 2:1 cyan to black.

The epson r200 I had was nice in the fact that the status monitor used drop count to estimate ink use, but the problem is it would quit working when there was 2ml to 5ml of ink left in the cart.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2005, 8:36 PM   #4

With normal color photos I don't use much photo black on my iP4000 or S9000. The other colors go much more quickly.

My status monitor usually just tells me when the liquid tank is empty. There is plenty ink left in the sponge. I refill my tanks when the monitor shows empty, but if I were buying the tanks I would probably print until they just about ran out.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote