Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 29, 2002, 12:56 PM   #1

Default Possibly-Dumb Matte Printing Questions

Okay,

I only just yesterday ordered a Canon S900, and I really don't know anything about photo printing yet. So forgive me if I'm asking dumb questions.

But I can't figure out how I'm going to be able to print 4X6 and 5X7 borderless matte photos.

First of all, I can't find 4X6 or 5X7 single sheet matte photo paper anywhere (the S900 has no paper roll), and I've looked at quite a few sites on the Net. Even Epson doesn't carry them.

Which is weird, given that 4X6 and 5X7 matte photos are among the most popular prints produced at labs. Perhaps I just don't understand the supplies I need or processes involved in printing 4X6 and 5X7 matte photos.

And here's another (possibly dumb) question: Do I even need matte paper that specifcally says it's "for borderless" printing?"

I mean, I always thought borderless printing was a function of the print driver, not the paper. If that's the case, then why do I need paper specifcqally labeled "for borderless printing?"

As a matte(r) of fact, what *is* matte paper "for borderless printing," and how is it different from regular matte paper?

Any advice on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
dkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2002, 10:35 AM   #2

I'd suggest you look into a program to print multiple pictures on the same sheet of larger paper and use a paper cutter to trim them to the size you want.

I use an old HP program that does a great job. There are a lot of shareware programs (Photo Paper Saver is one). These fit the selected size pix on a standard sized sheet, minimizing wasted paper.

This approach minimizes your paper inventory and saves a lot of money as well. I bought a big Friscar's rotary paper trimmer a couple of years ago and it does a great job for me.
Old Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2002, 5:58 PM   #3

Default Thanks!

Thanks, Old Bob. Your advice makes sense, except that I'm unclear on something: How do I squeeze 2 4X6 photos, let alone 2 5X7 photos, on a single sheet of 8 1/2 X 11 paper?

Unless my math is even worse than I thought, I'm can't see how that's possible?
Old Jul 1, 2002, 9:53 AM   #4

These programs will squeeze thee 4 X6's, two 5 X 7's or four 3 X 5's or one 8 X 10 on a single standard sheet of paper. Very little wasted expensive photo paper.

Hard to believe, but it really works :P
Old Jul 1, 2002, 10:13 AM   #5

Okay, it sounds great. Thank you.
Old Jul 1, 2002, 1:35 PM   #6

dkline,
Arcsoft has a nice program for multiple pics, takes about 1 minute to learn, $20 at arcsoft site. If you are shooting Olympus the new retail version of Camedia Master Pro 4.0 will also do, about 1 minute to master. $40 at Olympus site. Just drag and drop with either of these, will resize for you.
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2002, 5:13 PM   #7

Default Photo Paper Saver

Here's a web site where you can download and try the software... registration is $20 and you get free upgrades.

http://www.fpdoctor.com/pps/main/main-j-0-0.html
Old Jul 2, 2002, 1:35 PM   #8

Thanks guys. I'll check out the program.

I expect to get my S900 delivered today, and rumor has it that the printer comes with a Canon software program called Easy Photo Print that supposedly does the same stuff. We'll see. Meanwhile, thanks again for the suggestions.

David
Old Jul 3, 2002, 4:14 AM   #9

Easy Photo Print may not be included with your S900 - it isn't in the UK. However, you can download it from the Canon website. It is very easy to use and will print one, two or four photos per page, bordered or borderless, plus contact prints. However, you cannot specify print sizes - these are determined by the size of the paper and the number of of photos per page.

The program that all the pros use to print mixed photo sizes on the same page and optimise the use of paper is Qimage. This can be downloaded for a 30 day trial and cost $30 to purchase. I don't have the URL but a web search on "Qimage" will bring it up.

Qimage is quite difficult to learn to use but extremely flexible.

If you want to print on matte paper make sure that you get the latest driver that supports matte paper from the Canon website. The printer works very well with Epson Heavyweight Matte.

Chris
Chris R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2002, 11:59 AM   #10

Thanks for the tips, Chris. I got my printer yesterday and it did indeed come with Easy Print, which does what you say but isn't very flexible. I'll check out Qimage and the other programs mentioned here.

But I'm unclear what you mean about downloading the latest driver to get good quality matte prints. Don't I have the latest driver (since my printer arrived yesterday, and it has the new Exif 2.2 standard built in)? How can I tell if I need to download a new driver.

Also, the few test prints I did yesterday on the sample pack of 4X6 Canon Photo Paper Pro for borderless printing all came out looking light -- a better word might be "anemic."

Any idea how to adjust that? That's not a function of print head alignment, is it?

Also, I used EasyPrint to print those test photos, which employs the Exif 2.2 standard to print with the same color and other info captured at the time the photo was originally taken. Could that be the problem? And by the way, would printing from Zoombrowser, Photoshop or any other application also make use of the Exif 2.2 technology, or do I need EasyPrint for that?

Perhaps I should post this question about "anemic" print quality as a separate topic, since it's not about matte paper per se.

Anyway, I'm sorry I have so many questions. I'll eventually figure these things out for myself, but it sure is nice to have people with so much experience in these matters to chat with.