Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 15, 2003, 9:56 PM   #1

Default photo printer

i got a hp 5550 for christmas and am taking it back because the photo quality is embarrasing not much better than by old hp deskjet 722c the store i got it from has 4 printers in the same price range 3 from epson the 820 825 and c82 on from canon the s530d i still use my old hp for most things this is neede only for photo and i do not have the money to upgrade to any other models any input on the best printer from these listed would be great i have the olympus c-4000 and print from 4x6 to 8x10 thank you
mattjac33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2003, 10:18 PM   #2
lg

C82 would be best in my opinion. I have a C80, and it works GREAT! Both of these printers have archival inks; I don't believe the others do. Prints with my old 800 would fade when exposed to light over a period of time...
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2003, 2:25 AM   #3

Hi, I have a C4000, and I tried the latest $99 Epson, it really sucked, I used up all the ink trying to tweak the driver software...I bought a Canon S820, after Steve suggested it from a list of printers I was considering, and ,wow, I'm hooked! As long as you use Canon paper, you get excellent results VERY QUICKLY, borderless prints, etc, and the 6 individual ink tanks are a great idea, and after-market cartridges can be found in the $5-$6 range.
I also have an HP Photosmart which prints excellent quality, but is S-L-O-W!
Get the Canon S820 at www.buy.com for only $118.99, with free shipping. They are a fast, hassle free site, up to par with Amazon, as far as my experience goes. There may even be a rebate, I know there was when I bought mine in December...
Blessings, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2003, 5:45 PM   #4

I dunno I've used both the canon 820 and the epson 825. For photos I would'nt completly reccomend the c82 though. I would probably have to say go with the epson 825. You will get more paper types and sizes than both the canon and the HP.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 6:44 AM   #5

Are you sure that the problem is with the HP 5550? Most people have had very good results on photo printing with this printer. Don't expect to get better quality with the other printers that you have mentioned.

Some suggestions:
- are you using the optional #58 cartridge to give 6 colour photo printing? You won't get good photo prints without it.
- are you using good photo paper? Don't expect to get good photo print quality on plain paper.
- do you have the correct driver settings for photo printing and for the paper?

Chris
Chris R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 3:33 PM   #6

I've done prints with the 5550. It still has the age old problem of getting different reflection abilities on the black areas although it is not as bad as its predecessors were not to mention it is very expensive to print with. YOu are looking at around a dollar per 4x6 print with the photo cartridge installed. Although your problem could be limited to the fact that you are not using a photo cartridge in the place of the black. Before you buy another printer I would reccomend getting a HP 58 photo ink cartridge for your printer since it does not come with it. THis ink cartridge replaces the black ink tank when doing photos.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 8:32 PM   #7

i was using the photo ink cartridge as well as hp's paper the printer quality just was not good i finally settled on the canon 820 and the prints are so good i dont think i will ever need to buy another printer :P
mattjac33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 11:22 PM   #8

You're welcome, Matt! Good choice...blessings, Johnny :lol:
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote