Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 30, 2005, 7:12 PM   #1

Maybe others have found the main problem with the Pixma range of printers is black and white image printing. I was trying to print some black and white photos of an Aunt who recently passed away, and I found some had a slightl cyancast andsome a slightly muddy brown cast.

I found a very simple solution to this. Get hold of three extra "6" series black cartridges (that's the "photo" black as used on the IP4000 and higher) or refill three empty colour cartridges with black dye based ink, and use them to replace the cyan, magenta and yellow cartridges.

Now print an 8x10 full colour image on plain paper just to clear the colour inks from the nozzles. Now printyour black and white photos using the greyscale option.You may have to fiddle around a bit with the prefs for density and lightness levels to gettheright balance for your monochrome prints.

Just remember, when you have finished, replace these three black cartridges with the correct colour ones and print an 8x10 full colour picture once more on plain paper to clear the black ink from the nozzles.

(Thisshould, in theory,work just as well if you print in colour mode instead of greyscale mode. I haven't tried that yet, but will do so next time I need to print mono pictures )
Mender is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2005, 10:50 PM   #2

Mender wrote:
Quote:
I found a very simple solution to this. Get hold of three extra "6" series black cartridges (that's the "photo" black as used on the IP4000 and higher) or refill three empty colour cartridges with black dye based ink, and use them to replace the cyan, magenta and yellow cartridges.
Not a bad idea. What also isn't such a bad idea is going with some quad or more level black inks. Lysonic and MediaStreet come to mind but i've not tried either. While not as cool as a photo lab, much easier to edit.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote