Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 5, 2005, 6:13 PM   #31

markanth wrote:
Quote:
I just brought a 780, and i'm having a problem with the 1st step. My unit will not reset using the power button. I've selected Cygnus 2 and Standard (also tried UK) but when I hit the power button.. Nothing happens, no reboot.. It just beeps. I tried moving on to the next step, but the menus seem slightly different. i.e Service mode Printer is 7 vs 3 as per faq, and the only CDR options is CDR Adjustment vs cd-r Calibration as per faq.

I have a 1.18 rom if that helps.. Can any 780 owners offer any ideas pls..

Having the same problem here...MP780 US version from December 2004 (rom v1.10)

After setting Cygnus2 to'standard', it tells me that the data was written ok, but does not let me reboot...hitting the power button just beeps, and goes nowhere. Have to exit the service menu to reboot.

Afterwards, when in the print menu (cd-r calibration), it just flashes the alarm led...does not print. The only thing I was able to spit out is an eeprom dump....and cdrs is at 000

Any suggestions as to why I can't progress past the indicated reboot sequence?

Cheers!
AceE3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 6:52 PM   #32

AceE3 wrote:
Quote:
Having the same problem here...MP780 US version from December 2004 (rom v1.10)

After setting Cygnus2 to'standard', it tells me that the data was written ok, but does not let me reboot...hitting the power button just beeps, and goes nowhere. Have to exit the service menu to reboot.

Afterwards, when in the print menu (cd-r calibration), it just flashes the alarm led...does not print. The only thing I was able to spit out is an eeprom dump....and cdrs is at 000

Any suggestions as to why I can't progress past the indicated reboot sequence?

Cheers!
The problem is most of the people writing the stuff are not mp780 owners... I am an mp760 owner. A reboot is required... so perhaps you can set your destination to "standard" or "UK", exit the service menu, then reboot [power off/power on] and re-enter it. But the first thing that comes to mind is making sure you have paper in the rear feeder when you try to peform an alignment. The tray feeder won't do it. Letter sized paper works, I have not tested other sizes.

Also... you can try one of the other destinations, such as UK. We picked "standard" simply because at the time it worked and people needed something specific to set it to. In theory it goes

Service Mode-> #5 type [OK] -> CYGNUS-{mp750=1/mp780=2} [OK] -> Standard [OK] [POWER] printer reset
-tested been known to work-
But based on two complaints of mp780 V1.10 owners I might sugest

Service Mode-> #5 type [OK] -> CYGNUS-{mp750=1/mp780=2} [OK] -> Standard {or UK} [OK] -> printer menu {exit with the [MENU] [CANCEL] key I think} -> [POWER] -> [POWER]
-just made this up-

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 7:40 PM   #33

thanks for the quick reply, zakezuke. Tried with UK settings, and it allowed the reboot.

Got to blank calibration page, but thats about it....printer starts to hang pretty badly, and can't more forward. But at least its a start...heading out of town tomorrow, but will try again when I get back, and post results.

Thanks again for the info

Cheers
AceE3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 1:56 PM   #34

Was the newer mp780 with 1.10 and 1.18 rom ever successful in printing DVD's ?

A couple of people have emailed me about it and I wasn't quite sure that it was fully successful.
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 2:50 AM   #35

I have ROM 1.20 on my new machine. I'm having the same problem with the unit hanging when I attempt a calibration. its not sucking paper through and the yellow alarm light flashes. I've followed all instructions to that point.

ANy ideas?
socalgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 3:53 AM   #36

socalgman wrote:
Quote:
I have ROM 1.20 on my new machine. I'm having the same problem with the unit hanging when I attempt a calibration. its not sucking paper through and the yellow alarm light flashes. I've followed all instructions to that point.

ANy ideas?

This guy was having the same problem: http://fiveeasysteps.proboards2.com/...ead=1130589864
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 5:11 AM   #37

Thanks for the fast reply to my post. I actually changed the settings to New Zealand and the CD Calibration worked fine. The EEPROM printout reflects CDRS with a value other than 000. Looks like I'm good. I dont know, maybe ROM 1.20 didnt like "Standard" on my machine... but NZ works fine.

I've reviewed the majority of the threads concerning this and EEPROM, software and driverwise, I'm good. However I'm looking for a source for the rollers. I did find reference to one company in Germany who has the CD Tray but they dont have the rollers. I know I can get it on ebay, but I have some people in Europe, Australia and New Zealand who can buy for me there. Of course they can always go thru Canon in those countries, does anybody have a source for that part via another country?

Thanks!
socalgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 9:12 AM   #38

socalgman wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the fast reply to my post. I actually changed the settings to New Zealand and the CD Calibration worked fine. The EEPROM printout reflects CDRS with a value other than 000. Looks like I'm good. I dont know, maybe ROM 1.20 didnt like "Standard" on my machine... but NZ works fine.
My bad... I was the foofoo head that picked "standard" as the option to pick. When chatting with knightcrawler about the subject it seemed clear that it was a good idea to pick "one" option out of the list for folk to use. Who would know canon would change their minds and deside cd printing was not standard.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 12:09 PM   #39

Just to add... I think this is the correct way to get the printer to reset the waste ink counter as well...

MP750 / MP780 waste ink counter reset instructions..

1. Service menu: Menu -> Scan -> Copy -> Scan (one at a time in sequence)
2. Select "TEST MODE"
3. Select "[8] ETC.."
4. Select "[4] EEPROM CLEAR"
5. Select "[1] INK COUNT"
6. Press the [OK] button.
7. Press the [Stop/Reset] button (returns you to the TEST MOD sub-menu))
8. press the [ON/OFF] button (which resets the printer)

TIP: Don't rush the printer as it can often take considerable time to respond to your commands. Frantic button pressing will just push the printer into snail mode (ie: slow as hell!).

Patience

Hope that helps...
websnail is offline   Reply With Quote