Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Photo Inkjet (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/photo-inkjet-43/)
-   -   [Recovered Thread: 64533] (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/photo-inkjet/62799-recovered-thread-64533-a.html)

KnightCrawler Jul 31, 2005 11:02 PM

I'm getting email from people who are having trouble getting the mp7xx series to work correctly. I don't own a mp7xx so I can't walk through it myself and break it down to the very basics needed.

If you own a mp7xx series and had no trouble getting the settings correct then please tell me theexact simple steps so I can edit the ones that are on my site currently.

1. First what Country code should it be set to and how exactly is that done ?

2. Second what cd-r tests are needed and how excatly are they achieve ?

zakezuke Jul 31, 2005 11:27 PM

KnightCrawler wrote:
Quote:

I'm getting email from people who are having trouble getting the mp7xx series to work correctly. I don't own a mp7xx so I can't walk through it myself and break it down to the very basics needed.

If you own a mp7xx series and had no trouble getting the settings correct then please tell me theexact simple steps so I can edit the ones that are on my site currently.

1. First what Country code should it be set to and how exactly is that done ?

2. Second what cd-r tests are needed and how excatly are they achieve ?
Setting the type (destination) and (cd-r) calibration are required. This is already documented rather well. The EPROM test print is helpful to see if they have actually done it.

I can write the drill off the top of my head to see if you can do a break down easier. The drill is younger for the MP series and there are fewer people to give feedback as to which steps are giving them trouble.

[destination]
a) 1. Menu Scan Copy Scan to enter "service mode" [Service mode #1: SSSW]
2. Down arrow to #6 Type and set it to "standard" {where Uk will work, or any nation where CD printing is an option will work} Press "OK"
3. After "standard" is selected press the power button to reset the printer. "do not unplug". This should result in the printer booting up and asking for your language preference. Yanks likely like english but there are people in Mexico and Brazil who also might be reading this.

b) 1. MENU SCAN COPY SCAN to enter "service mode" once again
2. Be sure the rear feeder had paper and the front cd-r drawer is closed
3. using the down arrow selection option [3] PRINTER followed by option [6] cd-R Calibration. a blank piece of paper is sucked from the rear tray.
4. after this selection option [4] Eprom while still in the PRINTER sub menu to print off a sheet that will say whether value CDRS (XXX) is anything other than 000, if 000 repeat the alignment step.
5. Press power to reset the printer and return to normal mode.

-----These are as basic as I can make them... but leave it to someone else to put it in an easier to understand format-----

Unanswered question:
Is a4 paper required for the alignment... does the use of letter paper throw off the CD-R calibration.

Notes:
If you have to pick a single TYPE i'd pick standard. I've found no other that would default the MP series to letter sized on the front panel while keeping CD-R support.

KnightCrawler Aug 1, 2005 1:41 AM

Thanks that should help mp7xx owners. I will update my site. :cool:

zakezuke Aug 1, 2005 3:08 AM

KnightCrawler wrote:
Quote:

Thanks that should help mp7xx owners. I will update my site. :cool:
And probally update my site after you update yours.
You may wish to actually order the images I sent you with the steps.
http://users.cjb.net/pixma-faq/4.html
Come to think about it... I should probally do the same.

I honestly don't know what is hanging up mp7x0 owners. I've been trying to follow what steps they get hung up at, but all i've seen is people run through again and it works and they declair victory and can't establish what went wront the first time.

KnightCrawler Aug 1, 2005 3:55 AM

Is it service mode or test mode for part b ?

zakezuke Aug 1, 2005 4:29 AM

KnightCrawler wrote:
Quote:

Is it service mode or test mode for part b ?
Menu-scan-copy-scan gets you into "service mode" as seen in gif 1 Option #1 is SSSW (Service Soft SWitches) is always displayed as the first option.

"test mode" is the last option in "service mode" which I didn't include a .gif for, and test mode is used to print on a disc and wasn't listed in the basic instruction block I included. One can test with CD label print or using the printer mode, whatever you want to write up. People with real trays likely don't need to do an alignment.

I would list it in a part c personaly... because the only way I know how to get out of those menus properly is pressing the power button which causes the printer to reset.

[Test to see if it's working... print a test patern]
c. 1. Menu-scan-copy-scan to get into "service mode"
2. uparrow once to reach "test mode" press ok
3. select option 3 "printer" press ok
4. Put a printable disc in the tray, insert into the printer making sure the arrows align up, select option 3 "cd-r check patern" press OK
5. Once printed press power to exit the service menu and resume normal operation, this will cause the printer to reset.

http://users.cjb.net/pixma-faq/7.html

KnightCrawler Aug 1, 2005 4:01 PM

I've upgraded the mp7xx portion of my site. I hope it helps those that had problems to have a more clear understanding of the process. :cool:

zakezuke Aug 1, 2005 11:00 PM

KnightCrawler wrote:
Quote:

I've upgraded the mp7xx portion of my site. I hope it helps those that had problems to have a more clear understanding of the process. :cool:
I should probally make it clear that .jpg of the disc with the mm marks isn't stock. The only thing included on the offical test disc. The only thing on the test disc are light bluish and pinkish + with a X and a Y for top and left. While you don't have an mp760 i've noted that the test cd print / alignment test for the ip3000 and mp760 look identical. If you desire you could make your own an scan it in.

I put them in to sorta show how one would use a ruler between the + and the outer edge, and use basic math to establish the value one should use for alignmnet correction. This is also a procedure that could use much refinement.. my method is needlessly complex as I had no clue what the values should be hince resorting to grade school math. I imagine this would be a good application for a simple java app or script as all that should be needed are measurements of the Y + to edge and X + to edge, the value it should be, and subtract, rather than (x1-x2)/2.

Or... something printed from photoshop or some such to tray type b that's basicly a ruler where extra stuff gets printed off the disc and all a user need do is read the value beyond 0 on the X and Y side.

highlandsun Aug 2, 2005 2:25 PM

I just bought an MP750 and set it up a couple minutes ago. I went thru these instructions before connecting the printer to my computer, and the print properties page lets me select Printable Disc as target media. But there were some differences in the setup behavior...

Enter service mode, use Right Arrow to get to #5 Type, press OK, the first thing I saw is "CYGNUS-1". Hitting the Arrow showed "CYGNUS-2". It alternates between these two choices. I toggled it to CYGNUS-2 the first time through this procedure; I probably should have left it alone. Later I went back and set it back to CYGNUS-1.

Hitting OK there takes you to the region selector, which I set for Standard.

Then the power button, no problem there.

Getting back into service mode for CDR calibration, the calibration step apparently failed the first two times. The first time I waited several minutes and nothing happened at all, though the Alarm light was slowly blinking. I cycled thru the menu to get to the EEPROM selection, and nothing happened there either. Also the menu response was very slow. Possibly the printer was still thinking, or it was just hung. I power cycled and tried the EEPROM mode again, got a sheet of settings, CDRS=000. So I tried the calibration again. This time it fed a sheet of paper - but not blank, there was a small set of 6 color bars and a larger black smear on the page. After that I got an EEPROM print and it had CDRS=063.

zakezuke Aug 2, 2005 8:21 PM

highlandsun wrote:
Quote:

I just bought an MP750 and set it up a couple minutes ago. I went thru these instructions before connecting the printer to my computer, and the print properties page lets me select Printable Disc as target media. But there were some differences in the setup behavior...

Enter service mode, use Right Arrow to get to #5 Type, press OK, the first thing I saw is "CYGNUS-1". Hitting the Arrow showed "CYGNUS-2". It alternates between these two choices. I toggled it to CYGNUS-2 the first time through this procedure; I probably should have left it alone. Later I went back and set it back to CYGNUS-1.

Keep in mind I don't have the mp750 nor the mp780... so folks like your self are going to have to explain these menus to us.

CYGNUS-1 : MP750
CYGNUS-2 : MP780

Clearly your menu is different from my mp760, I don't have an option for Cygnus under type that i'm aware. And the only difference between your mp750 and mp780 is the fact that you don't have a fax modem installed on your printer. I just checked my mp760 and under #5 type there are only the choices of countries and standard all reached with the up and down arrow... selected by OK or service menu exited by pressing stop/reset.