Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 3, 2005, 3:17 AM   #1

So I've seen in various places references to the fact that the print engine in the MP750 is identical to that in the IP4000 printer. And I've also seen that the previous generation model MP730 combined a i850 print engine with LiDE 30 scanner. Does anyone know if there is a dedicated scanner that corresponds to the MP750's scanner? The reason I'm asking is to figure out which drivers to investigate on Linux. I have Canon-Japan's IP4000 printer driver for Linux, so printing is covered, but I still haven't gotten the scanner working.
highlandsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2005, 2:45 AM   #2

highlandsun wrote:
Quote:
So I've seen in various places references to the fact that the print engine in the MP750 is identical to that in the IP4000 printer. And I've also seen that the previous generation model MP730 combined a i850 print engine with LiDE 30 scanner. Does anyone know if there is a dedicated scanner that corresponds to the MP750's scanner? The reason I'm asking is to figure out which drivers to investigate on Linux. I have Canon-Japan's IP4000 printer driver for Linux, so printing is covered, but I still haven't gotten the scanner working.
I don't want to get your hopes up........ if it's the Canonoscan or whatever it's called it's one of the many not supported. I'm assuming that Sane is still the standard for scanners under linux.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 4:19 PM   #3

Yes, we're talking about SANE on Linux. I know the newest generation of Canon scanners are not supported, but I can work on adapting the drivers if I know what's the closest thing to start from.
highlandsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 7:34 PM   #4

highlandsun wrote:
Quote:
Yes, we're talking about SANE on Linux. I know the newest generation of Canon scanners are not supported, but I can work on adapting the drivers if I know what's the closest thing to start from.
The closest match in the current lineup in terms of specs is the Canoscan LiDe 500F and the euro Canoscan 5200f. They are the only things that supports film and has a resolution of 2400x4800. But the depth seems wrong on the 500F, the 5200f is the most close physical match.

The scangear starter on mine is v10.1 where the current version for the 5200f is 10.1.2. I don't know this for a fact my evidence is circumstantial.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote