Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 23, 2005, 10:46 PM   #21

[/quote] so cover the chip and have the printer think it's a normal cartridge.

[/quote]

On a brand new printer!? now way dude! :lol:
eric93se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2005, 11:40 PM   #22

Could you take a look at root directory and see if iP4200 driver creates a hidden directory like this?

C:\BJPrinter\CNMWINDOWS\...

I guess the driver saves information in this directory. Even if I delete it and do printing next time, the hidden directory is created again.

I have a backup tool which is having a problem with this hiddendirectory.
kazuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 10:43 AM   #23

I just bought an ip4200 (American version) and was hoping that I could hack the CD printing. Glad I found this forum...Thanks for all the great info guys. The one thing that still seems unclear is the print tray for the ip4200. Has anyone tried using the Canonip4000 CD tray in the ip4200? Does it work? Also, I just checked my registry and to my surprise the CnmFSI_CDRSWITCH was already set to "1". I guess the standard install sets that to 1 even though this is an American version. I just downloaded the Canon label print software and will install that. With the switch set at one it should allow CD printing (althoughI have no tray yet to try it). I'll let you know.
shawn0900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2005, 10:51 AM   #24

shawn0900 wrote:
Quote:
I just bought an ip4200 (American version) and was hoping that I could hack the CD printing. Glad I found this forum...Thanks for all the great info guys. The one thing that still seems unclear is the print tray for the ip4200. Has anyone tried using the Canonip4000 CD tray in the ip4200? Does it work? Also, I just checked my registry and to my surprise the CnmFSI_CDRSWITCH was already set to "1". I guess the standard install sets that to 1 even though this is an American version. I just downloaded the Canon label print software and will install that. With the switch set at one it should allow CD printing (althoughI have no tray yet to try it). I'll let you know.
Just removed the plasticpiece covering up the CD slot on the ip4200...it just snaps in...use a small flathead screwdriver to pry it out.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 12:32 PM   #25

shawn0900 wrote:
Quote:
shawn0900 wrote:
Quote:
Just removed the plasticpiece covering up the CD slot on the ip4200...it just snaps in...use a small flathead screwdriver to pry it out.
Note: After setting up the printer, I noticed that the model number on the ip4200report does not appear in pink, the text "JPN" is what appears in pink. The version appears in cyan. I hope this is right? Without a CD printer tray I have no way of knowing for sure.
Old Sep 25, 2005, 12:37 PM   #26

A also wanted to note that my Hawking USB printer server gets screwed up every time I go into sevice mode.After changingthe location setting I have to reset the printer server along with the printer, otherwise the printer will not print.
Old Sep 26, 2005, 2:30 AM   #27

I tried covering the chip with tape, get a message on the screen saying no cartridge or wrong cartridge in printer and it will not print, so it appears that using cartridges without a chip is not an option. Seems like the cartridge has to be forced to have the chip disabled by the printer if you want to refill, and that means Canon knows about refilled cartridges being used. Maybe a continuous flow system couldf be setup, but the clearances between the cartridges and the printer casing are very tight, not leaving much room for the feeder tubes.
laikanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 3:32 AM   #28

laikanuki wrote:
Quote:
I tried covering the chip with tape, get a message on the screen saying no cartridge or wrong cartridge in printer and it will not print, so it appears that using cartridges without a chip is not an option. Seems like the cartridge has to be forced to have the chip disabled by the printer if you want to refill, and that means Canon knows about refilled cartridges being used. Maybe a continuous flow system couldf be setup, but the clearances between the cartridges and the printer casing are very tight, not leaving much room for the feeder tubes.
Was your printer's destination set to japan? this was mostly a sugestion to eric93se who said his printer was asking for bci-7s rather than cli-8s.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 4:15 PM   #29

shawn, look at the available paper types to see if "cd..." is available. Also look at the first page of this thread, that guy was able to get it working on his US ip4200. He set the destination to EUR.

eric93se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 7:36 PM   #30

eric93se wrote:
Quote:
shawn, look at the available paper types to see if "cd..." is available. Also look at the first page of this thread, that guy was able to get it working on his US ip4200. He set the destination to EUR.

If you guys read pages 68 and 69 of "the big thread", you'll find that there is actually a different revision of the tray, and the ip4200 uses ver.B, the 4000 uses A. That guy on the first page of this thread got the 4000's version to work.

Also the inks are refillable, you'll just get a simple error.

I won't be probably till the end of this week or the begining of next week for my ip4200 to arrive.
Umm, tray type A is for the i series, as in the i865 i965. It's been asked in the past what is required to get these older printers to print onto CDs. The trays I have are clearly marked B and work in the ip3000/4000/5000/8500/mp750/760/780 and others. Now it might be possible that the new printers, the ip4200/5200/6600 might be using a new type, type C for example, but there is no evidence of this. But it's not like we can download a PDF and see for our selves, not like anyone has the service manual for the ip4200, and it's not like there is even a tiny picture of the tray that we can estimate the reflector location.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote