Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 26, 2005, 9:09 PM   #31

thanks zakezuke, I edited my post.
eric93se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 11:47 PM   #32

I just won a bid on ebay for a "B" series tray and will give it a shot on the ip4200. If it doesn't work and anyone here needs one for an ip4000 let me know and we can work something out. It should be here in a few days...I hope. btw...it has the small CD adapter as well.
shawn0900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 11:50 PM   #33

eric93se wrote:
Quote:
shawn, look at the available paper types to see if "cd..." is available. Also look at the first page of this thread, that guy was able to get it working on his US ip4200. He set the destination to EUR.

I downloaded the Canon label software and it shows that paper type. Should work fine if the tray works.
shawn0900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2005, 12:35 AM   #34

shawn0900 wrote:
Quote:
I downloaded the Canon label software and it shows that paper type. Should work fine if the tray works.
Please note that seeing the correct paper type only means that the feature is enabled in your registry. Nothing more. Trying to print to the tray is the only way to see if the printer has that feature enabled. If it tells you to close the inner door then that's a good sign the printer doesn't support the feature. On the mp760 it would try to suck the tray in but always reject it due to the alignment not being set, but this seems to be an oddity of the MP series and likely doesn't apply to the pixmas.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 4:47 PM   #35

I should be getting my ip4200 soon and I am a little anoyed about canon putting chips on there cartriges.

I have got a refilling kit and I was wondering that if i were to refill the carts in stitu before they ever run dry would the printer still say that you have refilled your carts and give you a load of grief.

I dont think it will be long before compatible carts for this are out as the compatible cart manufacterers are used to making carts with chips now for other manufacturer printers.

ChilledoutUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 6:44 PM   #36

ChilledoutUK wrote:
Quote:
I should be getting my ip4200 soon and I am a little anoyed about canon putting chips on there cartriges.

I have got a refilling kit and I was wondering that if i were to refill the carts in stitu before they ever run dry would the printer still say that you have refilled your carts and give you a load of grief.

I dont think it will be long before compatible carts for this are out as the compatible cart manufacterers are used to making carts with chips now for other manufacturer printers.
Current belief is the chips keep track of the ink drop count, which is either 5pl or 1pl. Once the chip's value equals a certain number the printer sees this and peforms the getting empty procedure. Adding fluid would not affect this value. Based on current information you can print on a tank with a full chip, just you have no clue how full or empty the cartridge is.

It's my belief that it might be possible to set the printer to japan and use chipless cartridges enabling the old prism method. As I don't own the printer I can't test this theory.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 7:44 PM   #37

I thought somone mentioned earlier that they just killed there printer by setting it to jpn.

thinking about it im sure someone will bring out a device for resetting the shot count.

Id rather somone just come out with compatible carts though as £9 per a canon cart takes the piss and the availability here is very poor.
ChilledoutUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 9:36 PM   #38

ChilledoutUK wrote:
Quote:
I thought somone mentioned earlier that they just killed there printer by setting it to jpn.

thinking about it im sure someone will bring out a device for resetting the shot count.

Id rather somone just come out with compatible carts though as £9 per a canon cart takes the oops and the availability here is very poor.
I think the printer wouldn't work because it was expecting "no chips" and clearly saw they had chips. I tried to get the gent to apply tape to the chips to see if that resolved the issue, i.e. hide the chips, but they were none too hip to doing this form of experiment on a new printer.

But we are not going to know until such time that someone is willing to try.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 7:00 AM   #39

I have experimented with my CanoniP4200. The chip works like an Epson cartridge, it will show empty after a certain count, refilling before it is empty makes no difference. Covering the chip with tape does not work, the printer says there is no cartridge installed, and will not print. The previous system of using a prism to signal low ink when the light spectrum changed has been discarded, so that is not an option. By continuing to try to print after ink out is indicated, the chip is eventually disabled by the printer with the warning that this action gives Canon the option to void the warranty through any damaged caused to the printer by allowing the chip to be disabled, obviously this will become evident if the printer is sent for any warranty claim. Once the chip is disabled, the status monitor shows no ink in the cartridge and the LED light on the cartridge is extinguished. The cartridge can be refilled and the printer will work OK, but there is nothing to indicate when the ink is running out, so the cartridges have to removed and visually checked before this happens. My experience with origonal Canon cartridges is that they do not take kindly to refilling, the sponge tends to lose its ink holding properties. Until aftermarket cartridges become avaliable that work OK, my recommendaion is do not buy any of these new Canon printers unless you want to have the above hassles or you do not mind paying a ridiculous pricefor Canon cartridges. An Epson R200/210/310 is a much better option as thereare plenty of compatible cartridges, refill kitsand continuous flow systems for them.
laikanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 3:25 PM   #40

laikanuki wrote:
Quote:
I have experimented with my CanoniP4200. The chip works like an Epson cartridge, it will show empty after a certain count, refilling before it is empty makes no difference. Covering the chip with tape does not work, the printer says there is no cartridge installed, and will not print. .
Ah, but what about covering the chip with tape and setting the printer's destination to japan? That's my question, whether one can re-enable the prism detection feature and use the new pritners with old tanks.