Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 30, 2005, 6:24 PM   #41

I Definatly am interesting in getting compatible bci 6 carts working in this printer so i probably will give it a try when i get my printer through.
ChilledoutUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 7:17 PM   #42

How do I set the printer to Japan, it was purchased in Australia and the CD printing is enabled - the CD tray for iP4200 is identical with iP4000

The PG-5 and CL-8 cartridges with the chip do have a small prism on the bottom of the ink tank, same as BCI-3/6 cartridges, and it appears there is a little light reader to the left hand side of the printer when the lid to access the cartridges is opened, exactly the same as my iP5000, so maybe the printer can be jigged up to revert to reading the ink levels from the prism,same as the iP4000/5000. Hopefully, with a bit of experimentation, the problem of the chips can be overcome and the printer can be operated same as iP4000/5000.

Unfortunately, the BCI-3/6 cartridges will not fit into iP4200, so until aftermarket cartridges become available, the original Canon cartridges will have to be refilled, which in my experience is not really satisfactory.
laikanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 9:51 PM   #43

laikanuki wrote:
Quote:
How do I set the printer to Japan, it was purchased in Australia and the CD printing is enabled - the CD tray for iP4200 is identical with iP4000

The PG-5 and CL-8 cartridges with the chip do have a small prism on the bottom of the ink tank, same as BCI-3/6 cartridges, and it appears there is a little light reader to the left hand side of the printer when the lid to access the cartridges is opened, exactly the same as my iP5000, so maybe the printer can be jigged up to revert to reading the ink levels from the prism,same as the iP4000/5000. Hopefully, with a bit of experimentation, the problem of the chips can be overcome and the printer can be operated same as iP4000/5000.

Unfortunately, the BCI-3/6 cartridges will not fit into iP4200, so until aftermarket cartridges become available, the original Canon cartridges will have to be refilled, which in my experience is not really satisfactory.
http://pixma-faq.periastron.com/4.html
http://pixma.webpal.info/Pixma345/345.html

The instructions for service mode apply except the number of button presses for the destination/country of orgin are different... see below.

--------------------------
1 time JPN (cyan)
2 times KOR (cyan)
3 times US (cyan)
4 times EUR (cyan)
5 times AUS (cyan)
6 times ASI (cyan)
7 times CHN (cyan)
8 times TIW (cyan)
9 times JPN (pink)
(I determined this from trial and error and not from a service manual. Pressing Resume more than 9 times still gave you JPN (pink). Note that this is very different from the Destination Settings for the ip4000.)
------------------- -rcaldjr2

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:03 PM   #44

Just a thought, the issue might be more than changing the destination as far as the ink cartridges. If it is possible to set it for the bci-6 or 7cartridges then it may require a different printhead to be installed. It would be very easy for Canon to throw a different printhead in the box depending on the region they sell it in.
CanonFodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:56 PM   #45

CanonFodder wrote:
Quote:
Just a thought, the issue might be more than changing the destination as far as the ink cartridges. If it is possible to set it for the bci-6 or 7cartridges then it may require a different printhead to be installed. It would be very easy for Canon to throw a different printhead in the box depending on the region they sell it in.

You have a valid point... I can't speak for the ip4200, but according to all my information the ip4100 which takes the bci-7 inks uses the *ヤノン インクヘッド 商品番号 (Japanese for Canon printhead part number) QY6-0049-000. Same as the Pixus / Pixma i860 and well the ip4000.

Keep in mind that some very serious manufacturing goes into the printhead. Now the ink tank holder might be another story, but canon does their best to make one printhead and apply it to as many printers as possible.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 7:15 PM   #46

I reset the Australian model of iP4200 to Japan region, #1. Test page confirmed that the printer was in Japan mode

Unfortunately, still reads the chips on cartridges, so changing region does not make any difference. Status monitor still gives same indications, no ink showingin those cartridges with chip disabled and ink levels andled light on cartridges not disabled. Covering chips with tape does not work.Evenon cartridges with chips disabled, the printer gives an error message and will not print whilst chip is covered.

So it appears only way to refill is force printer to disable chips with warning messages given, and then refill the cartridges. However, no status monitor to warn low ink levels. Until aftermarket cartridges become available, refilling original Canon is the only option.Also, the printhead has even less clearance between the printer case, tighter than the iP4000, so setting up a continuous flow system is going to be difficult
Old Oct 3, 2005, 8:02 PM   #47

laikanuki wrote:
Quote:
I reset the Australian model of iP4200 to Japan region, #1. Test page confirmed that the printer was in Japan mode

Unfortunately, still reads the chips on cartridges.
Thanks for the feedback, what about Japanese mode #9?
Old Oct 3, 2005, 8:41 PM   #48

I will give it a go but not optomistic. I think the way the printer works is that the ink levels are still indicated by the prism and sensoras per BCI-6 cartridge. The cartridge itself is recognized by the chip. When the chip is disabled, the reading from the prism is also disabled. I put an empty CL-8 yellow cartridge in the printer, it should have indicated low ink or ink out if theprism waswas working, but the status monitor did not indicate this and the prinetr would have gone ahead and printed:sad:
Old Oct 4, 2005, 1:39 AM   #49

I cannot get theiP4200 to accept the Japan 9 code, so I have reverted back to Australia code. However, I am sure that the chip and the low ink warning work in conjunction with each other, once the chip is disabled, so is the low ink warning and I do not think changing country code will address this problem.

I have used good quality BCI-3eBK/BCI-6 colour refill ink and done a comparitive print test using the original Canon inks and then the refill inks on the same photo paper. There is not much in it, the original Canon ink appears a bit more vibrant in the colours but I think colour adjusting the compatible inks to give a little more saturation would make it a non issue, especially with the refill ink costing less than $1 per cartridge compared with the Canon original of $27 per cartridge
Old Oct 8, 2005, 3:06 AM   #50

So basically so far it looks like the 4200 and 5200 kindas^ck from a modding perspective and that the 4000 and 5000 are the printers to go with still.

Seems Canon has shot themselves in the foot with this chip.
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote