Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 13, 2005, 1:51 AM   #61

Greetings,

I just recieved my new iP4200. I bought a type B CD tray from fleaBayand have made the destination modification. At first, I inadvertantly set the location to Australia, but was easily able to go back in and change it to EUR. I don't have a decent USB cable and my new one won't be here until tomorrow, so even though it looks good so far, I can't be 100%sure it works. I haven't installed any drivers yet, but I have downloaded the European driver from Canon.com.eu. Would it be a good idea to use the Euro driver set to English? I saw somewhere in here that someone was able to use the US driver but had to set the registry switch. Thanks in advance and thanks to all for the valuable information Iwas able to glean here!

MC

PS> I will post my results tomorrow.:-)
Ra Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 2:14 PM   #62

I used the us driver and did not have to change the reg key. As long as you change the printers destination prior to installing the printer it should work. good luck!
eric93se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 4:27 PM   #63

Success!!!

Here's how I did it:

First, I did the destination conversion before ever plugging in a USB cable. The first time I did it, I pushed the button five times and ended up with the setting for Australia. No problem, I simply went back into diagnostic mode and this time pushed the button only four times and indeed ended up with Europe as the destination. OK, here's where I diverged. I never installed the USA driver package that came with the printer. I had already gone tohttp://software.canon-europe.com/Pri...P420010232.aspand downloaded the European drivers. I installed the driver and when asked which continent, I answered "Europe", not "North America". From here, it was as smooth as silk. The"printable disk"media types were immediately available and so waspage size"CD-R tray C". I scanned a CD and copied the image into the Canon label software and it printed without hesitation, perfectly aligned. However, I am using cheap media with a dull surface, so the image itself is less than thrilling. I have some higher qualityDVD-R's coming tomorrow and I expect better results with them.

Once again, thanks to all of you for posting suchgreat and accurateinformation! I used the information here for the entire process and the conversion of my iP4200went flawlessly andwithout a hassle of any kind. Thanks again! :-)

MC

PS> The 4200 has integral rollers and doesn't appear to require any additional parts. The trayfeedwas automatic and required no additional action.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 5:18 PM   #64

Good to hear that the 4200 can be modded
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 5:23 PM   #65

Ra Power wrote:
Quote:
Success!!!

Here's how I did it:

First, I did the destination conversion before ever plugging in a USB cable. The first time I did it, I pushed the button five times and ended up with the setting for Australia. No problem, I simply went back into diagnostic mode and this time pushed the button only four times and indeed ended up with Europe as the destination. OK, here's where I diverged. I never installed the USA driver package that came with the printer. I had already gone tohttp://software.canon-europe.com/Pri...P420010232.aspand downloaded the European drivers. I installed the driver and when asked which continent, I answered "Europe", not "North America". From here, it was as smooth as silk. The"printable disk"media types were immediately available and so waspage size"CD-R tray C". I scanned a CD and copied the image into the Canon label software and it printed without hesitation, perfectly aligned. However, I am using cheap media with a dull surface, so the image itself is less than thrilling. I have some higher qualityDVD-R's coming tomorrow and I expect better results with them.

Once again, thanks to all of you for posting suchgreat and accurateinformation! I used the information here for the entire process and the conversion of my iP4200went flawlessly andwithout a hassle of any kind. Thanks again! :-)

MC

PS> The 4200 has integral rollers and doesn't appear to require any additional parts. The trayfeedwas automatic and required no additional action.

Did people have trouble with the USA driver not allowing the mod to work properly that is no "cd-r tray c" to select?
Old Oct 13, 2005, 6:16 PM   #66

KnightCrawler wrote:
Quote:
Ra Power wrote:
Quote:
Success!!!

Here's how I did it:

MC

Did people have trouble with the USA driver not allowing the mod to work properly that is no "cd-r tray c" to select?
Well, I did notice someone who had difficulty afterapparently havingdone everything right. I can't say that the driver has anything to do with it. I just felt "safer" with the Euro driver since they have CD/DVD printing by default. :-)
Old Oct 14, 2005, 12:45 PM   #67

just a fyi, at one point I downloaded the driver from canon usa, and it too had the choice to select which continent, I believe there were 3 to choose from. But I ended up using the usa driver.

Ra Power, there is another thread on the dull images observed when printing on cd/dvd media. I once had an epson r200 and the prints were photo quality, so I'm a little dissapointed with the ip4200 cd/dvd print quality. I looked in the driver software to see if the ink intesity could be increased but didn't see it yet. I've used 2 different dvd media and 1 cd media, and they both get the same print quality which is on the dull side. Saturation is set to dark by default.

Anyone have some tips to improve the cd/dvd print quality?
eric93se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 4:16 PM   #68

It's definitly the settings :
Attached Images

Old Oct 14, 2005, 8:06 PM   #69

Update!

I just got my DVD-R media and all I can say is wow! The media does make a difference because these look great! The media I'm using is Prodisk 16x DVD-R, hub printable. I got it at http://www.supermediastore.comfor a great price.

So, my conclusion is that both the settings and the quality of media make a huge difference. :-)
Old Oct 16, 2005, 11:19 AM   #70

Hey can someone whos printed alot of dvds on the IP4200 tell me how many Dvds you have printed and how much ink you have used. Im thinking of getting the 4200 but am a little worried since there are no replacement carts.,(that are close to the color and cheap).
phillyman is offline   Reply With Quote