Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 9, 2005, 9:27 AM   #1

I've been reading earlier pages from the thread. I can't seem to find any info on this, but will the "print hack" work for the new iP4200 as well?? TIA for any help on this.
TLWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2005, 3:24 PM   #2

Well,
speculation on my part.
This printer is being introduced Stateside first .. so it seems.

The external design appears similiar
1. the inner tray is present
2. buttons ups front are similiar
3. trays are similiar.

You have have a chance of success!

let us know.
I don't think service manuals will be available for this new model on the internet yet..

Attached Images

TVUONGPHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 11:45 PM   #3

The "print hack" will work on the US version of the ip4200.

I suspected this was possible when I saw there was an ip4200 for sale in the UK with CD/DVD printing. When I read the FAQ on Canon ip3000/4000/5000 CD printing (http://pixma-faq.cjb.net/), I noted the following similarities between the ip4200 and the ip4000.

1. The inner pull-down trayhas an accessibleslot after removing the plastic piece.

2. The CD tray dimensionsshown in this FAQfit this slot.

3. The top two buttons on the front panel perform the Power and Resume functions as in the ip4000.

As a result, I decided to try to implement the FAQ on the ip4200. Everything on the FAQworked except for the Destination Settings. When you press Resume multiple times to pick a destination, the following is printed out:
  • 1 time JPN (cyan) [/*]
  • 2 times KOR (cyan) [/*]
  • 3 times US (cyan) [/*]
  • 4 times EUR (cyan) [/*]
  • 5 times AUS (cyan) [/*]
  • 6 times ASI (cyan) [/*]
  • 7 times CHN (cyan) [/*]
  • 8 times TIW (cyan) [/*]
  • 9 times JPN (pink)
[/*](I determined this from trial and error and not from a service manual. Pressing Resume more than 9 times still gave you JPN (pink). Note that this is very different from the Destination Settings for the ip4000.)

I set the destination to EUR (since the UK is in Europe) and I was eventually able to print on CDs using the CD-LabelPrint software and the US printer driver that came with my ip4200 (after settingCDRSWITCH to 1 in the registry). It turned out that my problem was not in the setup. The reflectors in my homemade tray were slightly off and the printer did not recognize that a tray was present. Once the reflectorswere corrected, I could print on CDs every time.
rcaldjr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 9:27 PM   #4

rcaldjr2 wrote:
Quote:
The "print hack" will work on the US version of the ip4200.

I suspected this was possible when I saw there was an ip4200 for sale in the UK with CD/DVD printing. When I read the FAQ on Canon ip3000/4000/5000 CD printing (http://pixma-faq.cjb.net/), I noted the following similarities between the ip4200 and the ip4000.

1. The inner pull-down trayhas an accessibleslot after removing the plastic piece.

2. The CD tray dimensionsshown in this FAQfit this slot.

3. The top two buttons on the front panel perform the Power and Resume functions as in the ip4000.

As a result, I decided to try to implement the FAQ on the ip4200. Everything on the FAQworked except for the Destination Settings. When you press Resume multiple times to pick a destination, the following is printed out:
  • 1 time JPN (cyan) [/*]
  • 2 times KOR (cyan) [/*]
  • 3 times US (cyan) [/*]
  • 4 times EUR (cyan) [/*]
  • 5 times AUS (cyan) [/*]
  • 6 times ASI (cyan) [/*]
  • 7 times CHN (cyan) [/*]
  • 8 times TIW (cyan) [/*]
  • 9 times JPN (pink)
[/*](I determined this from trial and error and not from a service manual. Pressing Resume more than 9 times still gave you JPN (pink). Note that this is very different from the Destination Settings for the ip4000.)

I set the destination to EUR (since the UK is in Europe) and I was eventually able to print on CDs using the CD-LabelPrint software and the US printer driver that came with my ip4200 (after settingCDRSWITCH to 1 in the registry). It turned out that my problem was not in the setup. The reflectors in my homemade tray were slightly off and the printer did not recognize that a tray was present. Once the reflectorswere corrected, I could print on CDs every time
Just in case ANYONE is curious, I have USED THE NEW CLI-8 inks in my ip5000 and MP780 WITH Fantasic Results. The only thing that does NOT work is the Smart LED light system with the cartridges. The color profiles seem to be similar enough and I have printed one of the same FILES/Pictures that I optained from Canon from the ip4200 and printed it on my IP5000 having put the CLI-8 colors in it. NOT the Pigment black though, don't worrk, this is not used for photo printing, just for text! The PG-8 pigment Black does not fit in my print head, fits but doesn't snap down, the CLI-8 colors do fit and snap down. I did the alignment print and photos, with GREAT reults. I do not believe that Canon supports this officially, no driver update or anything, just go ahead and buy them if you want the new ink sets and aside from the pigment/text black, the color work beautifully!

Questions, let me know!
iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 11:13 PM   #5

Hey iSAPS guy,

Thanks for the info on the new inks. I may just try it.
jim5554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 4:58 AM   #6

jim5554 wrote:
Quote:
Hey iSAPS guy,

Thanks for the info on the new inks. I may just try it.

If the they actually widened the color gambit... there "may" be issues with color rendering. This "might" be an issue that can be resolved by telling the firmware the printer is an iPx100, the japanese edition. I don't know for a fact the cli-8 is the same in terms of color as the bci-7 used on the ip-x000, but it would indeed be worth a shot. Any of the websites that deal with enabling the CD-printing feature should document option 1 being japan... which would be pixus ipx100.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 6:29 PM   #7

Hey thanks rcaldjr2, my ip4200 should arrive tomorrow. I'm in the process of making the loading tray. I ordered this printer last friday evening from buy.com using a 7% off coupon, total was $110, not bad at all. I then searched around the net a bit more, and found out that it's the international version that prints on discs :? . I tried to cancel but buy.com s-ucks it seems. I hope the rollers hold up on the printer, since its going to mainly print on discs. I have an R200 with failed nozzels, I tried cleaning them, but ended up ruining the remaining nozzels :lol: . Oh well, I prefer canon anyway, I've had an i850 and i960 (currently parents printer), both are awesome . I was tempted to get an R200 again since its so cheap, $70 after rebate and a bonus of 50 blank verbatin +R printable discs.

edit: thanks for starting a new thread that other thread is a bit rediculous. Someone should edit that things and put all the valuable info at the first post :G

edit2: Also I have the print software from the R200, it looks like it will work with the canon, and it allows for adjustment of the print position on the disc, its called epson print cd.
eric93se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 7:25 PM   #8

eric93se wrote:
Quote:
edit: thanks for starting a new thread that other thread is a bit rediculous. Someone should edit that things and put all the valuable info at the first post :G

edit2: Also I have the print software from the R200, it looks like it will work with the canon, and it allows for adjustment of the print position on the disc, its called epson print cd.
One thread which indexes the big one and three faqs have formed since it's birth. Sure the OP should probally reference at least one of them.

But the epson print cd software based on my experence prints so far off center it can not be manualy adjusted. One person said it worked, which is possible... but I have no idea how. Best to download the software from canon or use any one of the other options on the market. The canon software while minimal is designed specificly for these printers and helps trouble shooting as most of the users on here know the button clicks to get it to do stuff.

pc
http://cmtw.canon.com.tw/service/upl...n.V1.0.2_E.exe
mac
http://cmtw.canon.com.tw/service/upl...OSX.V100_E.dmg
docs
http://cmtw.canon.com.tw/service/upl...5%E9%A9%9F.pdf

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 12:45 PM   #9

Hey I recieved my ip4200, but no matter what region I set, I get an error on all ink tanks when I do the head alignment, and it will not procede. The led on all the tanks is OFF, and when I reset them they turn ON again, wtf?. I think I have to return this bad boy.

An help is appreciated
Old Sep 21, 2005, 4:11 PM   #10

Does anyone have a DL link for the ip4200 service manuel?

The printer is on its way back. I'll get a replacement.

Strange though, the printer said the wrong ink's were in there, it said that version 7 tanks were required, the printer came with version 8 (with led's).

Hey rcaldjr2, do your ink tanks light up?