Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 13, 2005, 5:25 PM   #11

gwildfire wrote:
Quote:
It was canon UK that confirmed this, it has a 110-240 50/60hz psu. the Box says mp780US, and it didnt come with the tray and was covered up by the small plastic bit. Im still having problems priting as it kepps saying tray not set, the menus looked different to the tutorial, perhaps its a newer rom in it. The deault zone was USA, which I changed to standard as per the tutorial.

The bundeled software also didnt include the cd printing so it looks as though its a US version (it acutally says Canada next to the S/N)

Its almost as if there isnt enough room at the back of the printer, it only goes in to about half way round the cd then it wont go in any further, upon opening the lid the grey rollers at the back prevent it frmo going any further. does it have to spin the CD or something?
The printing procedure goes as follows. You may observe this with the lid open and pressing down that black switch located on the far right... assuming the mp780 is identical to the mp760 in this respect.

1. The white rollers at the rear of the unit lift to accept the tray... the tray gets sucked in and the rollers clamed down on it.
2. After clamped the head does a side to side scan... looking for the reflector located just fore of the hub... this will identify whether you have a disc, or if you are using the small media adapter. This detection can be disabled from the canon software somewhere deep in advanced options, but the side to side step isn't skipped.
3. The tray goes in an and out, with the light on the left hand side of the head on looking for the 2nd alignment mark.The illistration is from a ip3000 but the procedure is the same.

[align=center]Note the tray shown is actually an epson tray, your tray would look different
B - my manual shoving on the tray into the printer, the actual distance
I believe is just far enough you can see the CD edge IIRC
[/align]
4. The tray moves in and out a little bit at this point, then does a side to side scan, i imagine looking for the other two alignment marks
5. The tray gets sucked in all the way and is printed.

The main reason for the mp series to accept a tray 1/2 way, where the "I don't have a disk in me" mark is, oops it in and spit it out is either because it can't find that 2nd alignment mark (in the wrong location), or you have not done an CD-R alignment in the service menu (mp series only).

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 3:58 AM   #12

I have done the CD alignment EEPROM printout is CDRS=59, Its all in diffrent menus for the 780, maybe its a new rom, I will write a step by step guide. I can get it to accept my cd tray all the way in, Ive tried making a couple of different ones, but I dont know how far in it should go from your picture the back of the tray sits flush with the back of the tray is this correct, asI have to help push it in when it sucks it in and Im not sure how far in to help it go. It still spits it out, just before that it sucks it in a little further then out
gwildfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 4:47 AM   #13

gwildfire wrote:
Quote:
I have done the CD alignment EEPROM printout is CDRS=59, Its all in diffrent menus for the 780, maybe its a new rom, I will write a step by step guide. I can get it to accept my cd tray all the way in, Ive tried making a couple of different ones, but I dont know how far in it should go from your picture the back of the tray sits flush with the back of the tray is this correct, asI have to help push it in when it sucks it in and Im not sure how far in to help it go. It still spits it out, just before that it sucks it in a little further then out
One shouldn't push the tray "all the way in".

I found it helpful to actually align the arrows on the tray with the arrows on the printer. As I made my own tray at first I just put the tray in all the way and pulled it back a cm or so. This helped on my ip3000. My mp760 accepts the tray no matter what, where the ip3000 seems to prefer my epson tray for some odd reason.

If you mean how far to push the tray in when it's traying to suck it in... the picture seen is me pushing the tray in a tad too far actually. I had to guess at first. It's basicly far enough in so that the head sensor can see the alignment mark located about 20mm or so forward of the center lug. I'll have to double check when I print next but I believe it should go in about as far so you can see about 8mm of the disc.

Pushing it in a little too far isn't a big deal... pushing it in all the way will cause some grinding and isn't happy.

Old Aug 14, 2005, 9:01 AM   #14

hmm, back to the drawing board as I dont think it is seeing my foil! I have used red card it takes (oops) it in makes some noises then takes it in a little further then kicks it out.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 10:30 AM   #15

gwildfire wrote:
Quote:
hmm, back to the drawing board as I dont think it is seeing my foil! I have used red card it takes (oops) it in makes some noises then takes it in a little further then kicks it out.
Ah... home made tray user. Problem is not seeing those alignment marks are a symptom of either them being in the wrong spot or the printer looking in the wrong spot, hince my thinking "alignment".

When I was going batty with my mp760 trying to figure out if it was my tray giving me grief or if it was the printer, I took a hard copy of one of the templates that are available and printed it onto standard paper with the background black and white alignment marks and white faux disk. White works just dandy foil isn't required from my experence. In fact my hacked epson tray uses white spray oil based paint.

I took this hard copy and pasted it to a two pieces of poster board and glued it. While manual inserting was required. but the black ink on regular paper worked just fine for me to make a test tray.

Note I did this before rjwarren figured out the paper was required for tray alignment... before the procedure your using was written.

Old Aug 14, 2005, 12:14 PM   #16

VICTORY! lol, thanks for the tips, even an idiot like me can figure it out! the black on white was great, simply inverted the colours from the template, foil is not the way to go. Thanks for the tip on the black button also, yes its the same.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 5:13 PM   #17

gwildfire wrote:
Quote:
VICTORY! lol, thanks for the tips, even an idiot like me can figure it out! the black on white was great, simply inverted the colours from the template, foil is not the way to go. Thanks for the tip on the black button also, yes its the same.
Well in theory foil works, it's what the OEM tray uses. If the foil didn't work and the printed out tray worked... I would strongly suspect it was an alignment issue. This was the first problem I encountered hacking a tray as the measurements offered in the first place were dead wrong. I would say white works, white paint works. Why canon is using a metalic reflector isn't clear to me... perhaps because it's not as likely to yellow as white plastic.

But anyways, do take the time to share your rom number and the differences in your menus. Would be nice to document that.
Old Aug 25, 2005, 5:11 AM   #18

I have just bought a MP780 from ebuyer and it is the US version. the menu is different from the guide in these forums and i'm having difficulties finding the right selections. i've selected standard but can't find cdr calibration. i''ve gone to #7 PRINTER and the only cdr option there is #6 CDR ADJUST. from here there are two options [0]: CDR X SET and [1]: CDR Y SET - when i press ok to either of these CDR X 0.0mm and CDR Y 0.0mm are shown. there is also no EPROM option in my printer sub-menu. when i've tried printing a label the tray (from my IP4000) gets spat out and i get the following error message:

"The CD-R tray is not inserted or a printable disc is not placed on the CD-R Tray.
Insert the CD-R tray with a printable disc in the Inner Cover 1, and press the OK button on the printer."

anyone have any ideas as to what i can do to get the printer printing on discs or tell me what i'm doing wrong?
lip13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 6:24 AM   #19

lip13 wrote:
Quote:
I have just bought a MP780 from ebuyer and it is the US version. the menu is different from the guide in these forums and i'm having difficulties finding the right selections. i've selected standard but can't find cdr calibration. i''ve gone to #7 PRINTER and the only cdr option there is #6 CDR ADJUST. from here there are two options [0]: CDR X SET and [1]: CDR Y SET - when i press ok to either of these CDR X 0.0mm and CDR Y 0.0mm are shown. there is also no EPROM option in my printer sub-menu. when i've tried printing a label the tray (from my IP4000) gets spat out and i get the following error message:

anyone have any ideas as to what i can do to get the printer printing on discs or tell me what i'm doing wrong?

Very simple, the menus are the same until such time as proven otherwise. The menu you are looking for is the last option from the main menu "TEST MODE" it's not numbered, if it was I believe it would be #11. Not #7 PRINTER from the main menu, Testmode > #3 printer > #6 CD-R Calibration

What you are looking at is where you would go for a manual calibration... as in after auto calibration if your disc is off center you can adjust it here. This isn't covered in any of the faqs because we are lazy, and generally it's easier to adjust it in the software.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/attachment.php?id=33218

I made a flowchart but haven't updated my site, I think it makes it more clear. See above image. If your menus are actually different than this flowchart let us know.

Old Aug 25, 2005, 6:43 AM   #20

zakezuke wrote:
Quote:
lip13 wrote:
Quote:

Very simple, the menus are the same until such time as proven otherwise. The menu you are looking for is the last option from the main menu "TEST MODE" it's not numbered, if it was I believe it would be #11. Not #7 PRINTER from the main menu, Testmode > #3 printer > #6 CD-R Calibration

What you are looking at is where you would go for a manual calibration... as in after auto calibration if your disc is off center you can adjust it here. This isn't covered in any of the faqs because we are lazy, and generally it's easier to adjust it in the software.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/attachment.php?id=33218

I made a flowchart but haven't updated my site, I think it makes it more clear. See above image. If your menus are actually different than this flowchart let us know.

thanks for that - made it a lot clearer and have got it working
lip13 is offline   Reply With Quote