Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 13, 2005, 2:49 AM   #1

I've been racking my brain trying to get this thing working.. Gone through the directions many many times without any luck.

First off.. I have a 1.18 firmware, is this the version that others are using?

Setting the region/destination, can it be set more than once? I have tried to repeat the steps but the unit will not reset via the power button once the region has be selected.

I've attempted to print using the factory cd tray but no luck, pulls the tray in and spits it out with nothing printed.

Can anyone help???

markanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2005, 3:04 AM   #2

markanth wrote:
Quote:
I've attempted to print using the factory cd tray but no luck, pulls the tray in and spits it out with nothing printed.

Can anyone help???

Based on my experence with the mp760... this behavier is consistant with a valid destination that permits CD printing but without the proper alignment. I.e. it will suck the tray in but doesn't see it because it's looking in the wrong spot.... check your e-prom printout and check to see if your CDRP values and CDRS value is not 0. Remember that alignment requires a piece of paper in the rear of the printer and the CD-r tray door closed. Alignment sucks blank paper. I'd say be happy repeat your alignment step as clearly your destination isn't the issue.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 3:36 AM   #3

Thanks for the fast reply...

Success!

It might help to note in the faq that some units will not always reset in service mode using the power button. My units refusal to reset had me thinking I was doing something wrong.

markanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 4:23 AM   #4

markanth wrote:
Quote:
It might help to note in the faq that some units will not always reset in service mode using the power button. My units refusal to reset had me thinking I was doing something wrong.
Well the big issue is we're going by the information in a deutsch manual for the mp750/780... so there could be language issues even with the spiffy translation. Also the fact that most of the documentation was written by me on the 760 a printer that has a different front panel layout. But even with these factors, legit explanations to the instructions not being all that helpful... the service mode doesn't seem to be written all that well. There are some menus you can cancel from with the cancel key, but others that require exiting by pressing the power button, and even then it seems somewhat flacky.

For example, the mp760 has up and down arrows... and for the first sequence I can use the up and down arrows to navigate menus, but in any sub menu... and I mean any sub menu... I have to resort to the left and right arrows just like on the mp750/mp780. It's as if adding the up and down buttons was an afterthought that didn't get incorperated into the rest of the program.

Still... would welcome any information that helps in writing a better procedure including how to make sure after alignment the user can exit properly.

Old Aug 13, 2005, 10:14 AM   #5

Hi guys, Ive tried reading through this site. I am from the UK and just bought a MP780 mainly cos it was the only all-in-onethat had CD/DVD Printing, much to my horror a US verion one turns up (I didnt realise untill I had unpacked it all) so no way to print CD/DVD. Anyway Ive had a good read through this site but still cant figure out what to do. The software side of things no problems, but it doesnt seem to have a tray andI cant seem to figure out where a homebrew one would go, could someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Graham
gwildfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 10:50 AM   #6

Try the guide from http://pixma.webpal.info or http://pixma.web1000.com , it should answer most questions and it has pictures of the mp7xxx series.
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 11:04 AM   #7

Thanks for that, found it doh, buyers beware uk not stocks US version as Europe version have stopped being made (this was confirmed to me by Canon UK support) I got mine from Ebuyer.com and a friend who got his from amazon.co.uk told me the same thing!
Old Aug 13, 2005, 1:50 PM   #8

cheers for the link, worked just fine, some of the menus are different, maybe a newer hardware version. Now I just need to make a working CD tray, more fiddly than I imagined! cheers for this great site saved me the greef of RMA the printer!
Old Aug 13, 2005, 2:50 PM   #9

gwildfire wrote:
Quote:
cheers for the link, worked just fine, some of the menus are different, maybe a newer hardware version. Now I just need to make a working CD tray, more fiddly than I imagined! cheers for this great site saved me the greef of RMA the printer!
I'm not sure if they are "stocking" the american version or not. The UK version would have the autoswitching power supply, i.e. plugs directly into or sockets, where the US version has a 100-120v power supply that would likely blowup in europe. My question is did your printer actually come with a tray or not.

I have heard complaints from european users who bought the MP series that did get a tray in the box but it wouldn't print on CDs... would just suck in the tray and spit it out. In fact there was one person "here" who ordered overseas that had the exact same issue, but the problem was resolved at a service center under warranty in less than a day.

If you are getting the tray in the box, the software... I suspect some joker just forgot to align the tray.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 3:27 PM   #10

It was canon UK that confirmed this, it has a 110-240 50/60hz psu. the Box says mp780US, and it didnt come with the tray and was covered up by the small plastic bit. Im still having problems priting as it kepps saying tray not set, the menus looked different to the tutorial, perhaps its a newer rom in it. The deault zone was USA, which I changed to standard as per the tutorial.

The bundeled software also didnt include the cd printing so it looks as though its a US version (it acutally says Canada next to the S/N)

Its almost as if there isnt enough room at the back of the printer, it only goes in to about half way round the cd then it wont go in any further, upon opening the lid the grey rollers at the back prevent it frmo going any further. does it have to spin the CD or something?