Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 13, 2005, 2:29 PM   #1

Hello

I wonder if some kind person can tell me if my problem is caused by ink cartridges or if my 6 month old printer is faulty.
Basically, the yellow ink gradually turns grey, if I clean the nozzles it rectifies the problem but it gradually becomes more grey over a short period of time. I have replaced both the large black and yellow cartridges (both compatibles) to no effect.
As it stands I can't print anything without performing a cleaning cycle every few pages.
It seems as if ink from the black cartridge is seeping into the adjacent yellow one?
many thanks, I hope I have expressed myself clearly
Mary
maryhaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2005, 4:06 PM   #2

That sounds like a possible problem with a seal inside the printhead assembly. If it is still under warranty, it would pay to get it sorted before it gets any worse.
Mender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 4:15 PM   #3

Many thanks, I will get on to Canon tomorrow.

Mary
Old Aug 15, 2005, 4:49 AM   #4

maryhaggie

If you are using Compatible inks with a Canon this could be the problem. Compatibles can clog print heads really quick. They can also destroy a printhead from overheating it. If you tell Canon that you are not using their ink, they will not replace it, because you voided the warranty.

Now, are all the ink cartridges compatibles, or just the ones that you replaced? You should stay with one brand of ink in the printer, mixing manufactures can cause color changes and problems like this. Canon has their inks formulated to keep the printhead cool so that it would not destroy itself. Some of the compatibles do not do this.

When you replaced the ink cartridges, were they wet? I dont think that they would leak, as you would see blobs of it on the print. Were the cartridges seated properly into the printhead?

Bill

Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 5:40 AM   #5

hi Bill

thank you for your reply, yes all the cartridges were compatible and were from the same manufacturer, I changed the black and yellow ones but it did not cure the problem. I made sure they were seated correctly, when I removed them there were no leaks at all on them. The nozzle checks were perfect except for the grey yellow! Cleaning restored the yellow for a little while but the problem gradually returned even though the printer was sitting idle.
I rang Canon this morning and hopefully they are going to send me a new printhead. If as you say compatible cartridges can damage the printhead, I am rather dismayed. My previous printer was an Epson and I used Printrite compatible cartridges on it for many years with no problems at all. Perhaps I have made a mistake switching to Canon!

anyway many thanks for your interest and information

best wishes

Mary
Old Aug 15, 2005, 7:06 AM   #6

Mary

The reason that Canon can be damaged is because it is a thermal Bubble Jetcompared to the micro piezo used by Epson. They are both still ink jet type of prints, just different on how they apply/force the ink through the printhead. I have had very few clogs with my Canon, but with the Epson printer that I had (C82), I fought with clogs every time I wanted to print.

What compatible ink cartridge are you using?

If you read through some of the other posts on here, you might see that others have had color shifts, troubles, and some good results with compatibles. I have stayed with the Canon inks for a consistant product. I have read here and on other sites about how some compatibles have been very inconsistant on colors.

Also, did you do a printhead alignment? Just to make sure everything is aligned properly, as this can cause some color shits too.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 7:34 AM   #7

thanks Bill

I wasn't aware of the differencebetween the Canon and Epson print heads, and can see now that it would be important. The compatibles were a make I have never heard of before - 0A100 and a yellow box. I have used them for about 4 months since the original cartridges ran out.
I think I will maybe stick to Printrite from now on, they are surely reliable although as you say the Canon originals would be the ideal answer if I wasn't a pensioner with limited funds!:sad:
Yes I did two print head alignments along with dozens of cleanings and several deep cleans.
My Epson printers are the old Color 900, both still going strong and only the very occasional light clog.

Thank you once more for your interest

best wishes

Mary
Old Aug 15, 2005, 3:18 PM   #8

Epsons as said uses peizo heads, these just viberate to squirt the ink on to the paper, Canons boils the ink in each nozzle, the bubble is heated and the air inside the bubble causes it to burst - hence bubble jet, which then hit's the paper.

Had my Canon two or three months now and not one single clog or clean required, mind you I'm using Canon ink, was'nt used for about four days and no clog's (unlike the two Epsons I had).

Up til now I like the printer that much I have'nt tried any other ink, maybe one day I will take the plunge - "give us a break will ya' my Epson clogged on the 2nd day, when it was changed over the replacement clogged on the 4th day and with Epson inks", the ip5000 is sheer bliss its never clogged yet and its 2 or 3 months old.

Davy
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 3:24 PM   #9

Just a note to thank everyone for the help, I had an email from Canon earlier today they have sent out a new print head by courier for delivery tomorrow, that's good service!

best wishes

Mary
Old Aug 15, 2005, 5:21 PM   #10

Speedie wrote:
Quote:
maryhaggie

If you are using Compatible inks with a Canon this could be the problem. Compatibles can clog print heads really quick. They can also destroy a printhead from overheating it. If you tell Canon that you are not using their ink, they will not replace it, because you voided the warranty.

Now, are all the ink cartridges compatibles, or just the ones that you replaced? You should stay with one brand of ink in the printer, mixing manufactures can cause color changes and problems like this. Canon has their inks formulated to keep the printhead cool so that it would not destroy itself. Some of the compatibles do not do this.
Use of 3rd party ink doesn't automaticly void the waranty in the states, it can't under the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act 15 U.S.C. 2302(C). Basicly if they require their consumable to be used in their product and say their warranty is void if you use anything else, they have to provide you with the consumables during the warranty period. Ford can't say using non Ford oil in your car will void the warranty... Crest can't say use of other toothpaste will void the warranty in their toothbushes, and Canon can't say use of their inks will void the warranty.

IIRC she's using Printrite... a manufacturer of supplies that have been around for decades. While I have no personal experence with their product on inkjets... if their product automaticly clogged printers their stuff wouldn't be sold in major stores. I used their stuff on my dot matrix printers simply because the OEM ribbons were always too dang dry. Sat on the self too long I suppose. But it's not a case of going to the local chemist and picking up some generic stuff but rather something actually matched for the printer in question.

I'm not saying it's not possible for ink to affect the life of the printhead even for something who's major key ingredient is water... only that in the states they can't say using the other guy's product made from mostly water will void the warranty. Putting toothpaste in the printer... that *might* void the warranty if they can establish that it was the toothpaste that caused the clog.

Trouble shooting begins with admiting you don't know what's wrong. The root cause in this case is clearly mechanical. Could be a mis-step in the filling equipment causing the outlet port to be smashed on the cap. I've seen this on OEM tanks from time to time. Could be a bad seal (very likely).. or could be a child was eating a cookie ontop of the printer, or the seal was stuck to the yellow the last time it was replaced and went in the trashbin. But the ink it self isn't very likely to be the cause of the issue. It's either an issue in the tanks, or the printhead, both can be replaced.

When talking canons... you do risk a part that is about 1/2 to 2/3s the value of the printer when you use non-oem ink. This is true. But considering that the cost of OEM ink is 2/3 to 100% the value of the printer... saving 25%, 50%, 75% adds up so fast that even if you do have to buy a head more often... it still costs less. Heck the savings in many cases justifies buying a whole new printer every 3rd to 5th refill. I can agree somewhat that 3rd party ink might affect the life of the print head... but I can not see where even a 75% reduction in head life, 5 cart changes rather than the estimated life of about 20 would cost the end user more even if they have to replace the entire printer, which on canons you don't.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote