Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 14, 2005, 9:46 AM   #1

Hi forum,

I am looking at upgrading my HP photosmart 7150 for a better photo printing capable printer, im looking at getting the IP8500 but am just wondering if it will be the best for me. I want to get the best photo quality print outs possible but will only be printing at most 10 6x4 and a few a4's per month.

Does anyone have an ip8500 and only use it on a causal basis? Do you have problems with inks blocking etc when not used for a few weeks or will this be ok for me? I was also thinking about geting the ip5000 but thought for the extra £100 id hopefully get even better quallity prints from the 8500.

Thanks for any comments.......
stuartg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2005, 5:32 PM   #2

stuartg wrote:
Quote:
Hi forum,

I am looking at upgrading my HP photosmart 7150 for a better photo printing capable printer, im looking at getting the IP8500 but am just wondering if it will be the best for me. I want to get the best photo quality print outs possible but will only be printing at most 10 6x4 and a few a4's per month.

Does anyone have an ip8500 and only use it on a causal basis? Do you have problems with inks blocking etc when not used for a few weeks or will this be ok for me? I was also thinking about geting the ip5000 but thought for the extra £100 id hopefully get even better quallity prints from the 8500.

Thanks for any comments.......
I wont' say the canon won't clog, I haven't owned one long enough to judge. I will say you can at least dismount the head for cleaning.. windoleen is usually the reccomended medium... I think the talc levels in UK tap though might be a problem.

I will say the ip5000 has less in the way of tanks than the ip8500... but has a pigmented black used primarly for text. The major ip5000 benifit is the smaller drop size and higher resolution, with a downside of less tanks, no light cyan/magenta/ red and green (IIRC). Probally best to look at the output for your self and judge what you think is best.

http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer...rinter-08.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer...inters-05.html

While tom's review is so so... but should give you some idea what the printer's output look like.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 3:36 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, I've just found the Canon provide a 'try before you buy' option on their website. You can upload a photo which they will print on the printer you're interested in and post out to you, ive sent the same high colour photo to be printed on the 5000 and 8500. Hopefully this will decide for me!
Old Aug 15, 2005, 4:58 AM   #4

stuartg

You might also want to look at the new ip4200. It has new inks, that they should last longer and has the specs of the ip5000.

I have the ip4000 and i9100, and both make great prints. On some the ip4000 prints are better than the i9100 prints.

The biggest draw back to Canon printers is that they fade, and it doen't matter what paper you use. I have had gas fading and light fading on my prints. The new ip4200 is to have longer lasting prints.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 5:10 AM   #5

Thanks for this additional info bill, are you aware of any release date for the ip4200 model?

Thanks

Stuart
Old Aug 15, 2005, 7:12 AM   #6

stuartg

Per the Canon website, it is available now in the US. It is $130, were the IP5000 is $200 and the IP8500 is $350.

I did not see it at any of the stores this weekend, as I was at CompUSA and Circuit City.

In other countries, you might want to check out the Canon site for them.

Canon USA site: http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...;modelid=11641

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 5:32 PM   #7

stuartg wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for this additional info bill, are you aware of any release date for the ip4200 model?

Thanks

Stuart
Not to discount Speedie's advice... but you are in a region that doesn't have the ip4200, not yet anyway. I'm not aware when and if you'll get the ip4200 but the ink for the ip4200, the CLI-8 is the same stuff as the BCI-7 in japan.

Edit: BCI-7 fit in the pixma series of printers including the ip3000, ip4000, ip5000, and ip8500. these printers can be set to think they are the japanese printer using the same steps illistrated by the CD printing faqs. Disclaimer I've not done this my self.. only presenting options. It's suspected that even if there are slight color differences between the bci-6 and the new bci-7 these might be resolved by telling the printer it's the japanese version.

America isn't getting BCI-7... we gotta upgrade printers based on the information i've seen so far. I have NO idea about UK or Europe.

The major drawback to the ip4200 i've seen thus far is the fact that the inktanks are chipped... adding cost and making them harder to refill. As an American user I guestimate that it would cost the same to buy ink for the ip4200 as it would be mail ordering ink from japan that will fit in the ip5000. Check out amazon.co.jp for details on cost and shipping and make your own judgement.

I have no idea what the better choice would be or what choices you have or will have in the future. Ink that is more lightfast than the old ink is nothing to sneeze at. It's rather annoying the fact that even in the 21st century we are still divided up into "markets" and some bozo says Japan gets this ink for this printer, America gets no-cd printing, a new printer with new tanks for the new ink.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote