Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 21, 2003, 1:16 PM   #1

Default Question about Canon 4x6 Photo Paper Pro

I bought a pack of Canon 4x6 Photo Paper Pro to go with my new S820. A quick question: there are two different 4x6 Photo Paper Pro packages, one with perforated borders and the other not (as far as I can tell). In terms of the final finish, or printer process, is one better than other? Both will give final borderless finish--but how is the perforation? I'm hoping it won't be too visible.

Thanks in advance.
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2003, 3:43 PM   #2

They are exactly the same paper. The only difference is that with the preforated paper you wont fill up your waste ink tank.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 5:00 PM   #3

Gregerson,

Thanks for the reply. OK, I kinda inferred two things from your post:

1. Borderless printing involves some sort of overspray by the printer head that is collected by the waste ink tank;

2. It is actually more economical to print an 8x10 image to 8.5x11 paper and cut it yourself (and/or use perforated 4x6 paper).

Please let me know if this is wrong. Thanks!
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 10:35 PM   #4

Well either way you will get overspray to create and edge to edge print. The canon printer does not support printing on 8x10 paper out of the box although someone has mentioned that you can set your margins to make it do so. I have not tried this so I cannot give you the how to on doing it.

Using 8x10 paper is generally cheaper to do than getting letter sized paper and cutting it down since you can buy a 20 pack of epson premium glossy 8x10 paper for 12.99 vs 14.99 for letter sized of the same product. This paper is comparable to the canon photo pro paper. Also if you are making 8x10 prints for framing I would reccomend getting matte paper which epson sells in both 8x10 and letter sizes. The reason why I reccomend matte for frames is because it does not glare like the glossy stuff does. You may want to consider getting the epson colorlife paper if you want glossy and prints lasting a long time. Epson Color life will last 3 times longer than canon photo pro paper as quoted by a photographer customer of mine who has a canon 900. The only thing is that you have to set your printer to its slowest setting so it can soak into the paper right.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote