Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 23, 2003, 5:30 AM   #11

Okay, I've had the pleasure of owning an HP Photosmart printer for the past 4 years, which has given me excellent prints, on any paper,but it is s-l-o-w and the cartridges are expensive. J've owned the Canon S820 for about a month and a half, and it is now my main printer. It shoots out text pages in seconds and gives gorgeous borderless prints very quickly. It does not perform well on HP paper or Kodak paper, for some reason. But Canon paper is readily available online for a decent price. Using after market ink cartridges would only cost you $36 or less to replace all 6. I've had no problems with the generic cartridges.
Bottom line..the Canon S820 and S900 printers will astonish you, and unlike the Epson's, you will get great results 'right out of the box', with minimal driver adjustments. The S820 can be had fir $118.95 with free shipping, at www.buy.com.
That's where I bought mine, and they have all the cartridges and papers you need as well...
Blessings, Johnny...
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2003, 2:26 PM   #12

Default can't push the button

I saw that at buy.com but just can't push the final order button. I need at lest Resume quilty text on the higher quilty plain paper. Can someone who owns the canon S820 post a few prints of a text document. One on regular everyday $2.00 500 sheet copie paper and one on the $8.00 500 sheet bright white Canon or Kodak regular paper which the resume are printed on.

thanks
PhotoMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2003, 7:40 PM   #13

Default Can't Push the Button

From my two week limiited experience with the S820 printing text, don't buy it if you want to use it mostly for printing high quality text. It is a super photo printer and an average but slow text printer. You must use the Canon High resolution paper to get really good text printouts. Based on your need to print resumes on linen or other fancy type papers you would be disappointed with S820. Don't misunderstand, it will print really nice text but only on Canon high resolution paper... and then very slowly. On more porous types of paper text will not be as good as your average everyday HP deskjet. My HP932C prints much nicer text on any kind of paper than does the S820. However, the S820 leaves the 932C looking like a toy printer when it comes to photos.
dspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2003, 7:46 PM   #14

Default Canon s800 & s900 info

In response to the original post about Kodak 's posted settings. I tried their settings for the premium picture paper with both the glossy and satin papers. Save your money and don't buy Kodak paper for your Canon S820.... It won't work satisfactorily.
dspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2003, 8:00 PM   #15

If you already have some kodak paper though (like me), the settings work way better than the default setting for photo glossy paper. The output will not be as shiny, but as for quality for the small sized color pictures i did not see much difference, to be honest. As for b/w pictures the difference between canon and kodak papers are like night and day. But, if you do not have any kodak paper, do not even think about buying them, and using them with canon.
fkocer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2003, 10:03 PM   #16

I have the Canon S9000 and have used Canon Pro, Epson Glossy and Kodak Glossy paper and all work great. I made an Kodak 11x17 print of my 2 1/2 year old son and it looks incredible.
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2003, 8:49 AM   #17

The 820 and high quality text should rarely be used in the same sentence. Plain and simple. Doing text with your 820 at low quality settings will produce a text that has white showing through it and a bit of bleedout. For text seriously I would use either an HP 6122 or and Epson c82. Those two printers will produce resume quality text on any paper with a lower cost per page than any canon printer on text.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2003, 12:19 PM   #18

Default If it doesn't work

If the canon really does rotten text then i'll keep my 640 going for as long as it can and buy another printer just for text. I'll wait to the c82 is canned and the price drops well under $100 before i'll buy a single printer for text. FUnny but all the reviews i read on cnet & zdnet and other places don't give printers high marks for text. They all say washed out blacks which i can't under stand becasue the 640 did great text and the pictures weren't bad for a 6 year old printer. If i go the 2 printer route the canon will be just for pictures which means it may sit idle for several months before being used, can this hurt the printer?
PhotoMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 12:47 AM   #19

Default printing seldomly

if i were you, i would just print out at least one picture, at least once a week. that's what i am doing. it will prevent the clogging and will save you money. just download some nice pictures from the web, and print them out, if you don't have anything to print. you will have a collection of nice pictures and will save yourself from the cleaning cycle, which eventually waste more ink.

as for using kodak papers with canon. i have to say again that, i don't see ANY difference for the print quality between canon photo paper pro and kodak premium paper outputs. You have to use the settings on kodak web page. set the paper type as "PLAIN PAPER", set the saturation +10 and you will get exteremly good results. in addition, i think that using plain paper setting decreases the overall ink consumption. i am not so sure about that though, it is just a guess, which makes some sense.
fkocer is offline   Reply With Quote