Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 21, 2003, 6:27 PM   #1

Default Canon S820 & S900 Info

I now use an HP Photosmart 7150 and I get Photo Lab Quality prints but this printer is very expensive to operate. This printer uses two 3-ink cartridges that are $35 for one and $25 for the other. Not sure why there is such a difference in price between the two. These cartridges each have three colors and if one color runs low you discard the whole unit. Did I mention they are also small and donít last very long.

I have read several very positive reports on the Canon S820 & S900 and in these reports the test always say the best results are with Canon Paper. My question is has any body had good success with Kodak paper using their setup instructions found on http://www.kodak.com/US/en/digital/d...iumPaper.shtml

I am also interested in the Staples brand paper.
The Canon paper is not available from stores like Staples, Wal-Mart, Office Max, and others. I have only found this on the Canon web site. As you can see I am interested in going to a Canon printer for the economic value I hope to gain.

Steve if you monitor this post your thoughts are respected and appreciated.

Thanks to all that respond,
rritter
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2003, 6:41 PM   #2

Do you have a CompUSA in your area? I bought my paper (both 8.5x11 and 4x6 Photo Paper Pro) from them today. If not, places like Amazon.com and Buy.com sell them w/ free shipping--I think you'll save a bit off MSRP, too.

As a matter of fact, I also bought the S820 today! It's sitting in my trunk waiting for me to go home... I can't wait to hook it up and give it a go, I've been hearing great things about this printer.

Oh yeah, about the ink cartridges. If you had to replace all six at once, it'd run around $66-70... so actually more costly than the HP model you have. Of course, the flip side is that you don't have to replace the whole cartridge if just one color runs out (like with your tri-color cartridges). The flip side to that is that the HP cartridges actually have printer head assembly built into it, so that every time you pop in a new cartridge, you are also putting in a new printer head as well. Not so with the Canon way. I'm not sure what the life cycle of the S820 printer head is, but it's not like I spent $$$ for it... if it lasts me a year, I'll be happy enough.
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 8:28 PM   #3

i have the s820 on canon paper the prints are gorgeous better than ive ever seen come out of an hp and i found my paper on sale at best buy unnfortionatly i got a 75 pack of kodak 4x6 paper and a 100 pack of 8.5x11 kodak paper for christmas i have tried what canon suggests for kodak premium paper and the image qaulity is not very good it will work for framing and looking at it from a distance but up close it looks like the ink is just left in dots it will not spread out and look just right but the canon paper isnt that expensive and the prints look so good it is worth it to buy there paper and printers
mattjac33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 11:11 PM   #4

OK, a quick update on the S820 that I bought today. All of the following are, of course, subjetive impressions.

The printer setup and installation was very straight-forward.

The printer is fast--it takes around 45 seconds to print a photo of 4x6 at its highest setting.

It's not particularly quiet--I seem to recall Steve's review mentioned how silent it is--I'd say it's slightly noisier than my HP DJ845C and about the same (maybe a little bit quieter) than my old Epson Color Stylus 640.

The print quality is quite fantastic. On the Canon Photo Paper Pro, the output is simply gorgeous. Just as good, if not better, than the photo-lab printed pictures.

One thing I noticed was that when the photo is first printed, it looks rather light. It takes a few minutes for the full color to show. Or at least it seems like it!

So far very happy with the printer.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 2:58 AM   #5

Judging from user posts on this and other sites, non-Canon papers that work well with Canon photo printers include Epson, Office Depot, Red River and Ilford.

HP papers do not work well. Kodak papers have had variable comments.

Chris
Chris R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2003, 2:22 PM   #6

Yeah on my epson I've had varible success rates with kodak paper. Some work some dont. A couple of people have been tell,ing me about a konica paper being equal or better to the canon photo pro or the epson premium gloss its also a 9.8 mil paper. This I should try although it is very comparably priced to epson paper.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2003, 4:48 PM   #7

Default have you done text

I also own the Epson 640 and it was a nice printer for it's time. One thing it did was excellent text so how does the S820 handle text? i mean on cheap every day paper and the better canon & Kodak bright paper.
PhotoMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2003, 5:17 PM   #8

Sounds like if I buy a Canon I should get Canon paper. One thing though, no one answered my question about the Kodak setup guide for the Canon printers. Any Takers? See original post.

Thanks to all that responded :!:
rritter
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2003, 5:20 PM   #9

PhotoMenace,

I test printed on my S820 a text file on a regular setting (plain paper, normal quality). There were jagged edges and minor imperfections even to naked eye. When I printed the same (on same paper--which was HP Premium Inkjet Paper) but this time chose High Resolution Paper and high quality, the output was noticeably better. Still not quite as good as the regular mode text mode on my venerable HP DeskJet 845C, though.... this is one reason where HP Deskjets just shine. Near-laser output every time!

If I didn't already have a good text printer, I'd probably have gone with the HP DJ5550, which I use at work. Great text output, and with the optional two-color photo inkjet cartridge, a full 6-color photo printing.

Of course, I bought the S820 just for its photo printing abilities, and I'm plenty happy with that...
Old Jan 22, 2003, 7:22 PM   #10

Nah you dont want an HP 5550 for text print or you'll be spending about .05 cents a sheet on black ink. if you are looking for a text printer I would look to the epson c82 or the HP 6122. Both of these printers will give you a b&w text cost inside 3 cents a sheet.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote