Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 23, 2003, 12:01 AM   #1

Default Canon i950

I can't wait until this new printer hits the U.S.A.. I knew Canon would have to release something new to give Epson a run for their money (Epson 2200). In lieu of all the negative press, I still think Canon has the best pinters.
Rob Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2003, 2:42 AM   #2

Eh. I'll still take an epson 2200 over the i950. Why??? More paper sizes and far better archival ability it also does a much better job with black and whites.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2003, 4:07 AM   #3

Well, I have the S9000 which can and does compete with the Epson 2200 on all fronts, even B&W photos...although the 2200 is $300 more Canadian and also 2 to 3x slower than the S9000 in printing speed...<sarcasm>so there are 2 areas the 2200 excels at</sarcasm>
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2003, 10:30 AM   #4

These are different printers with different capabilities aimed at different markets.
Chris R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2003, 8:00 PM   #5

Very true Chris. The epson 2200 is in a different market altogether and designed for the photo professional who needs to make prints that are resistent to the elements Ie water and light and still makes an incredbile print.

The canon 9000 is a consumer based printer that is designed for photos that are not going to last forever a couple of years type thing and final proofs at a low cost.

The canon uses dye inks which of course are generally cheaper than archival inks like what is on the 2200 and more availible in the forms of refills. So on a per 8x10 basis you will spend about 15 cents less or more with the canon 950 or 9000. I say refills are the way to go for any canon. Half the price of canon ink easy. But refills are not somethign I would want to mess with on a printer like the 2200 whos inks are archival thus making them a lot harder to produce to the same mix that epson achieves in thier clean room.
Old Jan 24, 2003, 1:04 PM   #6

...and of course the Canon S9000 has been around for a few years so Gregerson's theory that the S9000 prints will only last 2 or so years is correct. :roll:
Old Jan 24, 2003, 2:03 PM   #7

Well it depends on atmosphere and lighting conditions as well as paper types. If you use canon photo pro paper and say you want to be patriotic and print an american flag now lets do an accelerated test like direct sunlight in the window of your car. You put the american flag in your window and leave your car outside all the time also your car has no tint on the windows. With the canon you are looking at best 3-6 months before noticeable fading occurs. Take the same paper and print on the epson 2200 in same conditions you will get about 2-3 years before noticeable fading occurs. Why??? because the epson 2200 ink is archival on all types of paper with the increase only on the archival matte paper whereas the canon 9000 is only archival on epson colorlife paper and matte paper.
Old Jan 24, 2003, 3:16 PM   #8

I'll let you know on a yearly basis via this forum on how prints from my S9000 are doing. They are pictures for indoors (portriats, landscapes, etc.) some near the window, some aren't.

Not once have I said the Epson 2200 is inferior in terms of quality, the 2200 is an excellent printer, its just more expensive and slower.

Steve replied as saying when he first tested the S9000 he was using Win98 and that the B&W photos were bluish/greenish tint. That is the fault of the driver and to some extent the OS - since Win98 is dated I'm not surprised either way. On W2k Pro and Server the S9000 has printer nothing less than extraordinary photos.

I use both Canon Pro and Epson papers, depending on the situation and size of the print.

Canon - Photo Paper Pro (Glossy) for 4x6, 8x10 and 11x17.
Epson Premium Glossy 5x7 and 13x19.
Epson Matte using all the above sizes.

*Agreed, Canon Paper selection-wise is lacking...happily, Epson makes paper that works just as well for the S9000 and I may just switch to Epson paper exclusively as it is more available and a little less expensive.
Old Jan 27, 2003, 1:28 PM   #9

Default why Epson paper last longer?

why would using the Epson fancy paper make the inks last longer? HAs anyone tried a arcylic sealer with canon paper or inks, i did use krylon UV arcylic sealer on my Epson 640 print and it gave my dogs gray hair a green tint. This might have been becasue i only gave the print a day to dry and sprayed it outside in sun on a green painted metal table.
PhotoMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 5:01 PM   #10

Default Re: why Epson paper last longer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoMenace
why would using the Epson fancy paper make the inks last longer? HAs anyone tried a arcylic sealer with canon paper or inks, i did use krylon UV arcylic sealer on my Epson 640 print and it gave my dogs gray hair a green tint. This might have been becasue i only gave the print a day to dry and sprayed it outside in sun on a green painted metal table.
Because the epson color life paper is designed to make long lasting glossy prints. ITs actually a semigloss paper and you have to set your canon to film setting to use it but it will produce prints that last as quoted by a customer of mine 3 times longer than canon paper.