Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 23, 2003, 9:56 PM   #1

Default Canon S9000 may be the wrong printer

I just bought a Canon S9000 inkjet printer to print book covers with. The printer creates wonderful pictures, but it only works with Canons Photo Paper Pro. I have tried two different brands of good 12 pt glossy card stock and it will just not produce a picture at all. The inks run and the blacks are gray. It seems the Canon S9000 has to have special photo paper.

My question: Is there a simple inkjet printer that will print decent book covers on plain glossy card stock, and does not need the special photo paper. I realize that any inkjet printer will deliver a better photo image with photo paper, but the Canon S9000 will not even print a average photo. It just was not make for plain paper printing like some of the cheaper inkjet printers. The problem does not seem to be the inkjet head, it must be the ink that is used for these high power photo real printers. I probably need a cheaper plain paper ink printer.

I am stuck with a $500 printer at the moment. I either will have to find a cheap source of Canon Photo Paper Pro, clone paper, and laminate it for book covers, or I will have to buy a second inkjet printer that will print on plain glossy card stock.

Perhaps someone knows of a article on this subject.

Any suggestion on inkjet printers?

Kori
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2003, 12:00 AM   #2

I don't know of any inkjet printer that will work with glossy card stock. I tried using UV coated stock with my Epson and the ink just pooled up and never dried.

Inkjet paper is specially coated to allow the ink to absorb and dry. Glossy coated card stock actually prevents this from happening.

I would suggest having them done by a small local print shop and UV coated. That is the only way you will get a professional looking cover. I've been in the printing business for over 20 years. People DO judge a book by its cover! Nothing looks more amateur than a poorly printed cover. Take a look at any paperback book. The covers are works of art with lusterous glossy coating and foil stamped embossings. The inside of the book is the cheapest and worst printing on the cheapest paper available. The cover costs more to produce than the entire inside of the book.

Depending on how many covers you need, you should be able to find a small printer with a 4 color sheetfed press and either inline coater (and perfector if you want print inside the cover) or offline coater.

Good Luck.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2003, 8:26 AM   #3

Call the folks at www.redriverpaper.com. They may be able to provide the paper you are needing. I do not know if they can reach card stock weight but I do print to 68lb ultra glossy paper from them.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2003, 8:50 AM   #4

The only thing I can think of is to try out the epson luster paper. see if it is thick enough for your purposes.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2003, 4:43 PM   #5

I want to thank gibsonpd3620 for suggesting Red River papers. I just received my combo sample paper pack, and I have found more than enough inkjet papers that will work for me.

Thanks everyone and special thanks to gibsonpd3620

Kori
Old Jan 29, 2003, 1:37 AM   #6

Hey Gibbie, when I click your link to Red River Paper, I get re-directed to 'http://www.dellhost.com'...anyone else having this problem?
Thanks, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2003, 7:49 AM   #7

Yes, I have been having the same problem. I finally went into Google and let it take me to Red River. It seems the URL has to have some extended stuff in the address besides the usual Redriver.com.

http://www.redrivercatalog.com/

Kori
Old Jan 29, 2003, 3:56 PM   #8

Thanks Star, your link worked for me!
Blessings, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote