Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 24, 2003, 7:53 AM   #1

Default Epson DuraBrite Inks; do they pass the test

Well it looks like canon just falls short for me. I need text just as good as the Epson 640 can produce and seams from everyone the canon S820 just can't cut it. Epson offerd DuraBrite™ Inks which are supposed to be water-resistant so wondering if anyone ever put that clame to the test. One thing i like to do is print return address labels with themes, Halloween for Oct, Christams for Dec and regular themes for other months and one concern has always been rain washing the labels out so DuraBrite™ Inks if they do what they say look like the answer for me. I use Avery labels for all my label printing, 8253, 8250, 8293 which are round decals along with iron-ons and clear window decals. I need a printer that will do text & graphics more than a picture right now. I see the C82 uses DuraBrite™ Inks but no other, am i right or just missing something? Is the C82 the best choice or does Epson offer another along these lines? Still would like seperate inks carts but the 690 is little out of my price range right now.
PhotoMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2003, 8:42 AM   #2

Yes I have tested the epson durabrite inks under water. I took a plain paper printout dunked it for two hours and the print was perfectly readable no run at all. After drying all colors were there with a slight fade due to paper expansion but all the details were still there.

The only thing is that because durabrite is a pigment ink it generally does not work well with photo paper. You notice it alot especially in dark black areas. The main reason is because pigment ink is less transparent than dye inks so not as much light is able to go through the inks hit the glossy side of the paper and reflect back thus giving you a flat color effect. But this effect flips on things like matte paper and plain paper where the c82 pretty much does nothing but shine producing brilliant colors and sharp edges at a very low cost per page.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2003, 9:17 AM   #3

Default Not good news

By what your saying than the inks might not work with special papers like labels, decals and iron-ons. HOw the canon inks hold up against water because someone wrote in a review on cnet he did drop water in a Canon S820 print and it was not effected at all. Why can't they make one printer that does it all like my 640 did, great text and the pictures were quite nice.
Old Jan 24, 2003, 9:28 AM   #4

Default I did it, Canon S820 on it's way

I just could not wait any longer and after reading reviews of 66 people on cnet and Steve's review again i ordered the Canon S820 from buy.com along with some Canon photo paper pro 4x6 & 1 Amazon black cart. If it fails as a text printer i could always buy a cheep text printer later. I'm going to be moving to Florida this summer so i might do some more picture taking where the print matters and it reads that the S820 excells at that. IF Epson would have released the 960 to the stores when they were supposed to that might have been sharing my home but who knows, it might in feature years.
Old Jan 24, 2003, 2:06 PM   #5

interesting... Epson has realeased the 960 to stores already. You can go to www.epson.com or you can go to www.outpost.com and several other places that sell the 960.

Also the c82 will work with special papers like labels and iron on tshirts very well. Its one of its most popular uses. Also the canon bbecause it uses dye inks will not hold up under water. I have a picture test around here somewhere I could scan it for ya if ya like.
Old Jan 24, 2003, 4:45 PM   #6

Default Not in nY

I been to Compusa, micro center, best buys and other stores and none have the Epson 960. Trouble with the C82 is the more i read about it just seamed over priced for what it offered. You have to say the S820 gives a lot of printer for the money, $115, 6 colors, optic ink level, replacable user ink heads, outstadning photo printing. All the reviews really give this printer high marks and maybe it was just time to give someone else other than Epson a chance. I do like my 640 and whish it keeps working for everyday crap printing and text. The resumes i print on the good special brightwhite paper look laser. You once said in another post that the guide the printer rides on for positioning the head might be dirty. Is that the strip above the rollers looks kind of like a half latter. How would i clean that then.
IF you don't mind me asking you seam to know alot about different printers, do you sell them or work in a repair shop?
Old Jan 24, 2003, 5:07 PM   #7

Default Problem with my Epson 640 from birth

Forgot this big problem i always had with my 640. When printing labels of any kind the printer never lined up the labels right. they would always print with the first row shifted little to the right leaving a blank section on the left, the middle row shifted little less to the right still leaving a much smaller blank section on the left, and the last row shifted lot to the right leaving blank area to the left. IT also would raise then print so a blank section would be on the bottom of the label. Many picture it off centered as well using different programs. This happened no matter which templete i used or version of microsoft pictureit publishing and i could not get it right. I deleted the printer driver many times and upgraded them but never fixed.
Old Jan 25, 2003, 12:03 AM   #8

Interesting I have a 980 and nowhere near the same problems. But as far as the 960 goes The only store I have physically seen it in is a fry's electronics store.