Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Aug 29, 2005, 2:33 PM   #1

Hi!

Im trying to decide which printer is best. I think Canon pixma ip5000 or epson r800 are the good choices but i heard some complaints about epson and macs..

I do a lot of photo and drawing prints and i want to be able to use the printer in both mac and pc (i have a home network).

the hp 8450 also recieved good reviews.

can you please help to choose?

thanks!
liquify is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2005, 7:49 PM   #2

liquify wrote:
Quote:
Hi!

Im trying to decide which printer is best. I think Canon pixma ip5000 or epson r800 are the good choices but i heard some complaints about epson and macs..

I do a lot of photo and drawing prints and i want to be able to use the printer in both mac and pc (i have a home network).

thanks!
It's entirely up to you. The ip5000 and r800 are very different animals, one using thermal bubble jet and dye based ink and the other using micropiezo and pigment based ink.

Life is more interesting as the bigest advantage to the ip5000 over the ip4000 was the 1pl drop size and higher resolution. This is now available on the ip4200, ip5200 but with a drawback that the newer printers take newer tanks that are chipped. We presume this is to prevent refilling but this is not known to be fact yet. This is only an issue if you plan to refill, or if your worried about the price increase to accomidate the newinks and tanks. The r800 offers the 1.5pl drop size and 5760 x 1440 resolution, and more ink tanks and gloss.

For a network, I'm surprised you are not considering the ip4000r which is lower resolution than the ip5000 is network and wifi ready. I presume the ip5200R is as well listing as $30 more than the ip5000's MSRP. Not that you can't get usb to network devices for any of these printers... just for extra money you can get it onboard and assurance that it's supported. The ip4000 vs ip4000r (wifi edition) is a tad more steep... about a $70 difference in MSRP.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 4:36 PM   #3

liquify wrote:
Quote:
Hi!

thanks!

If you are in a Mac / PC environment you will probally be using a USB print server.

i.e. airport express

for affordabilty iP4000 with airport express.

advantages :

network printing

cheap to refill ink tanks.

great print results!

TVUONGPHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 5:43 PM   #4

TVUONGPHAM wrote:
Quote:
for affordabilty iP4000 with airport express.

advantages :

network printing

cheap to refill ink tanks.

great print results!

While it's true you can get away with refilling the canon tanks, this is not to say that you can't get refillable tanks for the epson. These tend to cost more but since they are typicaly the foam free type can be used practicaly forever. On the other hand, i've had problems with the foam free type.

I would reccomend refillable tanks for either or. If you don't seal the canon tanks properly you can make a huge mess, a huge mess in the printer. something designed with a simple rubber plug is less likely to make a huge mess. The choice is up to the individual.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 2:38 PM   #5

zakezuke wrote:
Quote:
.... Not that you can't get usb to network devices for any of these printers...

Sorry, but you can't just get a USB print server for these printers.

I called both Canon and Epson tech support, as well as several print server mfg.'s, and they all said it can't be done ... the on-board BIOS and driver software won't support them. Of course I didn't believe them and bought a print server on sale at Fry's. And, of course, it didn't work! :?

I'm a big fan of Canon printers, and any of the "R" models will work great with Mac airport. Afterall, it's just the Wifi G stuff.

I was shoping for one today (my wife got a IMac G 2.0 - 17" and doesn't want wires), but found a new "DUAL" model that no one has any info on.

I may wait till I can find out, but will probably grab the current iP4000R before they are all gone. (They also have an ethernet port, too)
arklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 11:40 PM   #6

ok...I'm a bit confused: :roll:

TVUONGPHAM wrote:
"If you are in a Mac / PC environment you will probally be using a USB print server.

i.e. airport express

for affordabilty iP4000 with airport express. "

arklab wrote:
" Sorry, but you can't just get a USB print server for these printers."

Does this mean if I run out and get a iP4000 and an Airport Express, it won't work?

If so, what combo have you Mac users been successful with?

chinarut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 1:41 AM   #7

Check out apple.com /support/discussions

http://discussions.info.apple.com/we....0@.68b6f5ac/1

many users report sucess with airport usb printing support and canon printers. .
I don't have a Airport Express (yet) but am looking into it.
If only I can turn on the canon printer ip4000 remotely.

chinarut wrote:
Quote:
ok...I'm a bit confused: :roll:

TVUONGPHAM wrote:
"If you are in a Mac / PC environment you will probally be using a USB print server.

i.e. airport express

for affordabilty iP4000 with airport express. "

arklab wrote:
" Sorry, but you can't just get a USB print server for these printers."

Does this mean if I run out and get a iP4000 and an Airport Express, it won't work?

If so, what combo have you Mac users been successful with?
TVUONGPHAM is offline   Reply With Quote