Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 7, 2005, 12:26 PM   #1

Just when we thought we had the DVD print thing figured out, it looks like Canon USA is introducing a new variation.

I was doing a search on PriceGrabber for a iP4000R, and discovered a new catagory with the description of PRINTER, CANON PIXMA IP-4000R, DUAL

I have also found reference to the DUAL version of the iP3000, iP4000, and iP5000!

Upon checking sellers websites the ALL have NO PRODUCT DESCRIPTION, and a call to Nerds sales produced no info, ether.

Does anyone know what these are, or how they differ fron the "non-DUAL" Pixima's???

arklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2005, 4:12 PM   #2

I think it's just a reference to the dual paper trays.
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 4:56 PM   #3

Haven't seen a post from you here since before I was able to get CD/DVD printing working with the US models.

I appreciate your initial efforts on the issue. It was the first peoples work that kept me coming back for more.

Failure was not an option :-)

I would agree with KnightCrawler it is probably just a variation on the description. I am leaning towards the iP4000R disappearing soon after the iP5200R floods the retail chain.

arklab wrote:
Quote:
Just when we thought we had the DVD print thing figured out, it looks like Canon USA is introducing a new variation.

I was doing a search on PriceGrabber for a iP4000R, and discovered a new catagory with the description of PRINTER, CANON PIXMA IP-4000R, DUAL

I have also found reference to the DUAL version of the iP3000, iP4000, and iP5000!

Upon checking sellers websites the ALL have NO PRODUCT DESCRIPTION, and a call to Nerds sales produced no info, ether.

Does anyone know what these are, or how they differ fron the "non-DUAL" Pixima's???
CanonFodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 5:42 PM   #4

Thanks for remembering, Canonfodder.

No the items carry different Canon part numbers. Some suppliers already have bothlisted on there sites. See link:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_a...4000R&rd=1

And here is the description/part number of each (from PriceGrabber):

Canon Pixma iP4000R Photo Inkjet Printer
25 PPM, 4800x1200 DPI, Color, 43KB, PC/Mac
Canon - 9719A001

vs.

PRINTER, CANON PIXMA IP-4000R, DUAL
Canon - 97919A001

Whatever they are, they are DIFFERENT!

Old Sep 7, 2005, 6:01 PM   #5

Well I am stumped. But it could be that those companies are using the same supplier who has it listed with the extra 9.

EDIT: I suppose it could also be one of those variations which includes the USB cable like warehouse stores carry.

arklab wrote:

Quote:
Thanks for remembering, Canonfodder.

No the items carry different Canon part numbers. Some suppliers already have bothlisted on there sites. See link:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_a...4000R&rd=1

And here is the description/part number of each (from PriceGrabber):

Canon Pixma iP4000R Photo Inkjet Printer
25 PPM, 4800x1200 DPI, Color, 43KB, PC/Mac
Canon - 9719A001

vs.

PRINTER, CANON PIXMA IP-4000R, DUAL
Canon - 97919A001

Whatever they are, they are DIFFERENT!

CanonFodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 9:14 AM   #6

CanonFodder wrote:
Quote:
Well I am stumped. But it could be that those companies are using the same supplier who has it listed with the extra 9.

EDIT: I suppose it could also be one of those variations which includes the USB cable like warehouse stores carry.

No, still no USB cable with them - and the PRICES are different, too.

I did find reference to a new chiped ink cart. Canon is switching to (unlike Epson this one allows refill) but I think there is something more.

Try to think of what the word "DUAL" might mean - other than the "dual trays". aranoid:
Old Sep 8, 2005, 9:17 AM   #7

Maybe it means dual ink compatiblity ?
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 9:37 AM   #8

Dual... The only thing I can think of would be the model that hasboth USB1 and USB2 Connectors... Instead of the USB1 and Serial...

By the way this is my first post.. Just purchased an IP4000 (US)2 weeks ago.. and the DVD/CD printing thread came in real handy...Great Job!

By the way I'm currently stationed in the UK and if someone could put me in touch with a cheap place to get those trays.. I can ship them states side through the USPS. Won't have to pay international shipping( military perk..
foxblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 1:59 PM   #9

I just noticed ... all the retailers seem to have 15 in stock ...

Hmmm ....
Old Sep 8, 2005, 9:21 PM   #10

Sorry guys, I cannot comment on WHY I'm going to tell you all this, but there is no such thing as DUAL being a different model. THe NEW canon PIXMA printers are HERE, just released a few weeks ago, PIXMA2, starting with the IP1600, but more seriously, the IP4200, all featuring the new ink formula, ChromaLife100, up to 100 years archival quality with higher color gamut (optical density), rating, especially on the CLI-8 black and same ink quantity in each seperate cartridge. I just printed on the iP4200 and I'm very impressed with the skin tones. I printed a sample image from the new A620 digital camera. The new seperate cartridge printers use a smart LED light on the cartridge system and tell you the cartridge is seated properly and will start to blink as the ink runs low and blink faster as it's almost gone. This is good for when doing a lot of direct printing from any digital camera now having to pull the inks out to check ink levels; rather just flip the lip and check the lights. Also, the dual paper tray is more sturdy and there is an additional paper guide on the top tray. MORE nozzles more speed and higher resolution! Everyone at the store marlved over the ip4200, with 9600x2400 DPI and ONE, count it ONE picolitre droplet. WOW! this is really true. ALL of the NEW higher end Canon's starting at the ip4200 have one picolitre droplet and 9600x2400 dpi, EVEN the new Multifunction that scans slides and negatives has 3072 print nozzles and does a bordeless print in about 36 seconds (4"x6")! We even did the SAME Canon print sample from the A620 camera on the Epson R2400 with their pigment inks. Let me just say this, EVEN though the Epson may put 200 year archival quality on the prints, the color looks 100 times better on the Canon 4 color!!!!! THe upgrade to the i9900 will be COMING SOON FOLKS!
iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote