Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 10, 2005, 1:24 AM   #1

There apears to be a fine mode in the custom print quality mode, but it is faded out. The highest resolution I can select it seems is high. How do I correct this problem.
dvk916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2005, 7:36 AM   #2

I have the same thing in "custom" on my iP4000 (UK).

It's just Canon trying to be "helpful"!

For example, with "plane paper" selected I can only select 5 through 2 (5 being the fastest). I can not select "1" (the "finest" setting).

With "Photo Paper Pro" selected, my choices are limited to 3 through 5, and I can't select 1 or 2 (the fasest settings)

Just try experimenting with different paper settings.
You don't have to really have that kind of paper loaded.
arklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 1:59 PM   #3

I see ip4000 and ip4200 in posts here. As I want a new printer I am looking for suggestions.

Also what is the difference between the 4200 and the 4000?

Thanks

Stan
stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 3:54 PM   #4

stnkline wrote:
Quote:
I see ip4000 and ip4200 in posts here. As I want a new printer I am looking for suggestions.

Thanks

Stan
The ip4000 is last years model. Not a bad egg at all.
The ip4200 is this years model that seems to be similar to the ip5000.
-Nozzle and head size match
-speed is slightly different
-ink has changed
-ink tanks now have chips and keep track of your use.

The ip5000 to ip5200 has changed... higher number of nozzles but same drop size and resolution sugesting a speed increase. Also the wireless model is now a ip5200R where last year the wireless model was the ip4000R

Anything beyond the most superficial evalution is not possible at this time as they are so new no one has reviewed one yet.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 7:46 AM   #5

zakezuke wrote:
Quote:
stnkline wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
zakezuke wrote: The ip4000 is last years model. Not a bad egg at all.
The ip4200 is this years model that seems to be similar to the ip5000.
-Nozzle and head size match
-speed is slightly different
-ink has changed
-ink tanks now have chips and keep track of your use.
Do the chipped tanks preclude refilling?

Thanks

Stan
Old Sep 12, 2005, 5:04 PM   #6

stnkline wrote:
Quote:
Thanks

Stan
I don't know for a fact. Something was posted earlier the chips are to keep track of ink use better than the prism, and that they will continue to print after the chips read maxed out, but no one here knows this for a fact. These would have to be tested by someone to see if this is true. There are not even any reviews of this printer out yet.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 12:32 AM   #7

In the custon print quality mode on the ip4200 (US), the fine mode (1) is only available when the media type is Photo Paper Pro. For any other media, the highest resolution is high (2).
rcaldjr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2005, 8:31 AM   #8

zakezuke wrote:
Quote:
stnkline wrote:
Quote:
Thanks

Stan
I don't know for a fact. Something was posted earlier the chips are to keep track of ink use better than the prism, and that they will continue to print after the chips read maxed out, but no one here knows this for a fact. These would have to be tested by someone to see if this is true. There are not even any reviews of this printer out yet.

A few posts have said the chipped tanks may be refilled but the low ink sensor will not work. I then worry about low ink clogs or burning out the printer head due to low ink. Does anyone know about this?

TIA

Stan
Old Oct 6, 2005, 5:12 AM   #9

Once the chip registers ink out,by continuing to force the printer to print, the chip will eventually be disabled with warning messages that this may effect your warranty. Once you accept this, and the chip is disabled, the status monitor no long shows ink levels in the cartridge and there is no low ink warning. So you can refill the cartridge OK, but Canon will know this if a warranty issue arises, and since there is no low ink warning to advise you to refill, if you are no carefull, especially on a long print job, you could run the cartridge dry and may damage the printhead. Since there are no compatible cartridges available as yet, the original Canon cartridges have to be refilled, and my experience is the sponge does not handletoo much refilling. I cannot seeanyuse for the chip except to enable Canon to detect if refilling takes place so they can void the warranty.The previous light sensor used in BCI-3/6 cartridgesto detect low ink is still used in the iP4200, but it is only active if the chip is enabled.
laikanuki is offline   Reply With Quote