Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 28, 2003, 7:48 AM   #1

Default Inkjet or color laser printer?

I have looked for days, but canít seem to find any inkjet paper that is 11x17 (tabloid size) and 80 pound or 100 pound (10pt or 12pt). I did find some Xerox Super Gloss paper that is 11x17 12pt. I bought 100 pages and tired it in my inkjet printer but it did not work. I am at the point where I am considering buying a color laser so I can use the Xerox Super Gloss paper.

Can anyone tell me how color laser prints compare with inkjet prints? (I have never seen one.) Also can you give me any pointers on buying a tabloid color laser printer? I see some HP models that are 600 dpi and some Xerox that are 1200 dpi.

Kori
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2003, 4:49 PM   #2

I guess I will answer my own question. A poster (gibsonpd3620) suggested I try Red River Papers for my new inkjet printer. So I ordered their combo sample paper pack ($15) and found more paper types for my inkjet printer than I could possibily use. It is really great. Inkjet papers of all types, surfaces, weights, sizes, etc. I don't need a laser printer now. I will use my inkjet printer instead, now that I have plenty of paper type to choose from.

I want to thank everyone for helping me and special thanks to gibsonpd3620 for suggesting Red River Paper.

Kori
Old Jan 28, 2003, 5:21 PM   #3

Kori

It is amazing what Red River Paper has to offer in the sample packs. I like the translucent paper and it will come in handy for next years Christmas cards.

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2003, 7:45 AM   #4

Yes, their paper selection is great. I have worked it down to five different papers. Next I will need to test them with lamination, and see how they hold up. Curl is the problem. Some papers do better than others. I am sure one of these will work.

Thanks for the Red River suggestion.

Kori
Old Jan 30, 2003, 3:16 PM   #5

Default Re: Inkjet or color laser printer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star
I have looked for days, but canít seem to find any inkjet paper that is 11x17 (tabloid size) and 80 pound or 100 pound (10pt or 12pt). I did find some Xerox Super Gloss paper that is 11x17 12pt. I bought 100 pages and tired it in my inkjet printer but it did not work. I am at the point where I am considering buying a color laser so I can use the Xerox Super Gloss paper.

Can anyone tell me how color laser prints compare with inkjet prints? (I have never seen one.) Also can you give me any pointers on buying a tabloid color laser printer? I see some HP models that are 600 dpi and some Xerox that are 1200 dpi.

Some color lasers can compare to inkjets but you are gonna spend a lot more than you want to spend to get the results that a 99 dollar inkjet can get. The reason is because laser printers use a powder that is'nt very translucent thus when printing on glossy paper not very much light is able to get through the powder hit the other side and shine back at you. Giving you an effect of a layer over your glossy paper and not a big difference between what you see on plain paper and what you see on glossy paper. Inkjet printers especially photo printers use a dye ink that is very translucent so its going to be a huge difference on color prints on photo paper.

Kori
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote