Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 28, 2003, 12:22 PM   #1

Default S820; USB 1.x or 2.0

is the Canon S820 for USB 1.x or USB 2.0. WOuld it make sense to buy a USB 2.0 card for $21.00 and does the device need to be USB 2.0 certified to take advantage of the incressed speed. I have a p3 500mhz with 512 ram and so far the only other USB devices i have are INtel web cam, Microtech cameramate card reader & Logictech wireless rumble pad.
PhotoMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2003, 2:10 PM   #2

the device, the cable, and you computer all have to be usb 2.0 in order to take advantage of the spead so if the s820 is usb 2.0 and you buy the 2.0 cable you will also have to go to a computer store and get the usb 2.0 pc card for your computer
mattjac33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2003, 3:38 PM   #3

Default S820 is USB1.1 compliant

The S820 is USB 1.1 compliant not 2.0. However, keep in mind that a USB 1x device will work on a USB 2.0 connection. The speed will drop down to the USB 1.1 rate.
dspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2003, 10:04 AM   #4

Default hooking the S820 up today

I see on the back of the printer it just has the USB marking while other printer would have 2.0 marked. Would the printer being USB 2.0 make a difference in speed at all since the print buffer is a fixed size? Why can't they give longer power cables, for god sakes if you can use a 6' USB cable why can't the power cable be 6'. I for now live in an old house built when they figured one wall outlet was enough. This is a pretty heavy printer, i think it's heavier than my Epson 640. What makes it so heavy?
PhotoMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 4:04 AM   #5

The S820 has USB 1.1. I doubt that the print speed is limited by the speed of the USB connection.

When Canon introduced the S820D with a card reader it also had USB 1.1. However, if you are using the card reader on the printer to download images to your PC, having a faster USB connection is clearly an advantage. I assume that this is the reason that the S830D, which replaced the S820D, has USB 2.0.

My assertion that it is unlikely that the S820 print speed is limited by the USB connection is based on the following calculations (which may be wrong):
Size of 8.5 x 11 spool file is about 100MB.
To print in, say, 3 minutes requires a transfer rate of 33MB per minute, about 0.55MB per sec.
USB 1.1 transfer rate is about 800KB per sec (???).
Therefore printer is not limited by the USB connection speed.

If this is right, the S900 might be getting quite close to being limited by the USB connection speed. Does anybody know if this is correct?

Chris
Chris R is offline   Reply With Quote