Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 12, 2005, 8:11 AM   #1

I just read the review on this printer and when checking the price at amamzon i found this in a review. I would like to know what Steve thinks of this if it's true.

"The problem is that I was needing a CD/DVD printer and all the web info, as well as Canon's own publicity for this printer, their pdf file on this printer, and many sites selling this printer all indicate that it does print CDs/DVDs. Thus, I ordered it from Amazon, my favorite web purchase store. When it arrived, I noticed it had no CD tray and there was nothing in the book about printing CDs or DVDs. I called Canon and they said they were not aware of the printer and would do some research. About 5 minutes later the guy came back and said that the printer WITH THE EXACT SAME NAME had CD printing support in ALL countries except the U.S. I told him that having the same name and number system was absurd with different features"

:P
dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2005, 8:36 AM   #2

Sorry didn't see the big post on this below. Why not just write Canon and demand they put this feature on the printers. Consumer pressure will always win out and a threat of law suite. Canon wants to sell printers and if this feature is disabled and everyone wants it they would have no choice to enable it.

I remember Epson one the first printer to offer this so if they can why not Canon. I never seen this so how does it work? Do you need special CD's for this to work? I would figure the ink would not take to the cd and come off in yor fingers. I haven't looked at printers or this site since i bought my S820 Printer a few years ago which i like. Nice to see Canon has added a good size LCD screen to their printers unlike the one Epsonput on their printer which was less than a inch.
dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 4:05 PM   #3

dagger wrote:
Quote:
Sorry didn't see the big post on this below. Why not just write Canon and demand they put this feature on the printers. Consumer pressure will always win out and a threat of law suite. Canon wants to sell printers and if this feature is disabled and everyone wants it they would have no choice to enable it.
For whatever reason canon has made the "choice not to make this feature available to certain markets". That's their technicaly accurate but totally unhelpful responce. At first I wouldn't think this would be law suit material as canon them selves never say in their literature that this feature is available in north america, i've noticed they are VERY careful on this subject. There are some other jokes who sell this product that copy and paste the specs from overseas sites but I doubt Canon could be held responcible for that. IANAL

Now that partsnow no longer carries the tray, it is an issue I am also somewhat annoyed with and more power to anyone who wants to write them a nice polite letter to the effect of "please enable this feature". I don't know now much Canon would have to pay to Philips to enable this feature but I would think that it would be in Canon's best interest to release the software on a disc with a tray with some enabler fuction. Given the fact that people spend $30+ for a tray imported it seems to me that they could work out a spiffy agreement with Philips that pays them the license fee that's required and gets the end user what they want without having to paying the damn fee for all their printers. It's possible it's not that simple... but given I have no clue what the issue is it would be "something" for at least end users to propose.

But it could be worse. The IP series requires only removal of a trivial piece of plastic to print onto CDs. The i series models offered a totally different front assembly making it impossible to insert a tray at all.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 6:53 PM   #4

The reality of the situation is that, like you said, Zachzuke, Phillips possesses the patent for printable CD technology. However, since the patent is only held in the US, every other country has the feature. No US documentation says that the printer will print on CDs, and the printer still has the little CD "door" on the front because of manufacturing costs.
PS. It takes more than just removing the plastic piece and buying the tray. You have to install European firmware. I have heard of a few people who succeeded with this, but when they plugged their printers back in to their US computers, the firmware apparently rolled back. I know, it sucks.
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 7:33 PM   #5

DrDictionary1 wrote:
Quote:
PS. It takes more than just removing the plastic piece and buying the tray. You have to install European firmware. I have heard of a few people who succeeded with this, but when they plugged their printers back in to their US computers, the firmware apparently rolled back. I know, it sucks.
Near as I'm aware there is no difference between the firmware, only a difference between the settings. Neither my ip3000 nor my mp760 required a firmware update. In fact, I'm not aware of anything produced by canon that would update the firmware for consumers.

If you install a driver on a printer that doesn't support CD printing, this is recorded in the registry of windows machines. You can change this value at any time. If the value is 1 and the printer isn't set to print on CDs, it will tell you to close the door and will print onto paper.

If the value is set to 0 on the PC, tray type b isn't an option regardless of the value of the pritner.

If you install the driver, US or otherwise, on a printer that is already set to print onto CDs then the registry entry is set to 1 and you can print onto CDs.

You can enable the feature in any order, just it skips a step if you enable support on the printer first before installing the driver.

Unless you are telling us that the new drivers will tweek with the firmware or printer settings, which I imagine is possible. I can speak for the ip3000 and the mp760 in this regard. Others can speak for the ip4000 and ip5000 and mp780.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 1:42 PM   #6

Sorry, I wasn't aware that anybody actually figured out how to crack it. I had looked into this a few months ago before anybody had a reliable way to do it. I should look in to this...
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 12:07 AM   #7

The MP780 works like a charm, especially with the OEM tray. The conversion is a snap.
jim5554 is offline   Reply With Quote