Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 13, 2005, 5:13 PM   #1

Is it normal to have to clean the heads everytime before doing a print job. It seems if I don't clean the heads at lease once a day, before printing I will have missing nozzels.
Is this common with Epson?
Bos-ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2005, 7:35 AM   #2

I haven't owned an Epson, but from others who do (and post here) cloging/drying out is a real problem for some.
I've seem posts where owners say they must print daily to prevent the problem. Are you in an area with very low humidity? Or a well air conditioned house (that can reduce moisture in the air)?
Still, this seems like a LOT of clogging! :shock:
Is it under warantee, so you could return it or get it repaired?

If all else fails, try a Canon Pixma. I have never had Canon heads clog, even after weeks of just sitting.

I'm sure some R300 owners will also reply, hopefully with more helpfull ideas.
arklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 5:58 PM   #3

Bos-ton wrote:
Quote:
Is it normal to have to clean the heads everytime before doing a print job. It seems if I don't clean the heads at lease once a day, before printing I will have missing nozzels.
Is this common with Epson?
I was convienced that my epson r200 spend as much ink cleaning as printing. This is rather a disadvantage of their design. In my case I believe my root issue was a bad cleaning station which the r300 should be identical in this regard. Basicly to protect the head from drying out it sits on a gasket. This gasket is just a pad folded over and hooked on one side. Mine always got knocked out of place and one time with my knowing it the whole assembly got knocked the wrong way and fell apart which I believe resulted in whole bunches of no fun. Clogs every other day, and ink splattering everywhere resulting in the head no longer knowing where it was and the printer finally stopped when it leaked ink everywhere.

It's my belief this cleaning station needs ot be redesigned. in the mean while you might wish to ask epson if they provide new pads if the old one gets knocked out of place... I have never actually tried getting one my self but it would be reasonable to assume that as this is required for continued operation that they would either mail you a new pad, or consider this warranty service. I'd prefer it if it was clamped down in at least two places rather than a sloppy hook, or affixed in someway so it didn't move, but it's not.

There is a man who offers a free cleaning manual in the newsgroups, but you have to e-mail him for one. His addess is listed in his message at the following link.It's a must have for epson owners

http://groups.google.com/group/comp....86b66bdb398b2b

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 3:20 AM   #4

Thanks for replying, ya this little pad that the head sits on, I have taken this off and cleaned it, then rolled it out to remove the water and dried it. You think maybe the head is not sitting the pad like it should to keep the heads moist? I also seem to keep getting ink on my rollers. Thanks
Old Sep 15, 2005, 5:13 AM   #5

Bos-ton wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for replying, ya this little pad that the head sits on, I have taken this off and cleaned it, then rolled it out to remove the water and dried it. You think maybe the head is not sitting the pad like it should to keep the heads moist? I also seem to keep getting ink on my rollers. Thanks
I don't know if it's a good idea to remove that pad to clean it. That sucker drys out and doesn't do it's job. I know it's messy, ugly, and ink soiled but gaskets do a great job when wet, so don't do a good job when dry. I strongly advice you tell Epson you need a new one... this may help resolve your issue with clogging, and perhaps an issue with surplus ink.

Like when popping on an oilfilter on an automobile, it's reccomended that you oil the gasket first... specificly with used motor oil though fresh does the job. But at the same time, I understand where you are comming from, my ink spashing was so bad I believe it soiled a sensor which did result in getting a referbished model from the repair depot. This could be a good thing.

Old Sep 15, 2005, 6:36 AM   #6

The pad right now is soaked with ink, I thought when my ink waste counter went over, it was becasue of this pad being soaked. When it was new this pad is white , and dry, so me thinking maybe it has to be changed or cleaned, so I popped it off, and cleaned it. I also looked down to see the other pads on the bottom, those are nice and white. I thought the pad with the rubber seal around is the one that seals the head, and that this white pad next to it is the cleaning pad? Is this corect? Thanks for all the help.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 2:13 PM   #7

Bos-ton wrote:

Quote:
The pad right now is soaked with ink, I thought when my ink waste counter went over, it was becasue of this pad being soaked. When it was new this pad is white , and dry, so me thinking maybe it has to be changed or cleaned, so I popped it off, and cleaned it. I also looked down to see the other pads on the bottom, those are nice and white. I thought the pad with the rubber seal around is the one that seals the head, and that this white pad next to it is the cleaning pad? Is this corect? Thanks for all the help.
The printer's waste counter refers to what I call a diaper. When the printer feeds in reverse it turns a pump which sucks the ink from the waste station and drops it in the back, which in turn gets absorbed. It's rather why you see the rollers turning when the printer is cleaning it self.

Far left is a small pad. You generally don't see this. Far right is the waste ink station starting with two things marked X X which is connected at the bottom with a tube that is connected to a pump, and to the right of that is the gasket, which is a white when new pad folded over once with a retangular hole attached to a hook. All of this stuff gets ink soiled but in theory this shouldn't be a problem. Any surplus ink on the head should be wiped away with a piece of rubber located to the left of the X X pad.

Old Sep 15, 2005, 6:05 PM   #8

OK I got it, thanks for the information. You were a big help.