Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 13, 2005, 7:38 PM   #1

The Canon is just starting to show up in the stores. Around $200, with the new "Chromalife 100" inks.

The Epson is selling for $300, after a $100 factory rebate.

I can buy the Epson today, the Canon is not available locally, but I would guess it will show up in a few weeks.

I haven't seen a review of the Canon.

Any opinion?? Anyone tried one??

Thnx...
markeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2005, 8:31 PM   #2

markeh wrote:
Quote:
The Canon is just starting to show up in the stores. Around $200, with the new "Chromalife 100" inks.

The Epson is selling for $300, after a $100 factory rebate.

I can buy the Epson today, the Canon is not available locally, but I would guess it will show up in a few weeks.

I haven't seen a review of the Canon.

Any opinion?? Anyone tried one??

Thnx...
I have NO experence with the ip6600D. Keep in mind that you'll see lots of folks plugging the ip6600D inks with the 100year life, which might be true... but this number was based on tests in an album... under glass was rated at 30years IIRC using pr-101 paper and 10 years also using the same paper. Keep in mind that this is the new improved go faster formula last longer formula.

I may have issues with epson but IIRC the life of their inks are archival... 34years for their luster paper not under glass.

http://www.wilhelm-research.com/epso...2004_12_03.pdf
http://www.wilhelm-research.com/news...0050822085508/

So on this issue i'm not too excited. Color rendering and photo printing we'll have to see.. i'm willing to believe that the higher resolution and use of light inks might be spiffy, more spiffy than the ip6000 was.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 3:07 PM   #3
JPL

The ink used in the ip6600D is still dye based vs the pigment based R800 ink.

From the Canon web site:

Results based on accelerated testing by Canon under controlled temperature, humidity, and gas conditions. For the 100-year figure, Canon simulated storage in an album with plastic sleeves. For the 30-year lightfastness figure, Canon simulated display of a photo in a glass frame in an indoor location without direct sunlight or other high intensity light. The 10-year gastfastness figure is based on a testing ratio of gases typical to indoor air composition (O3: NOx:SOx--3:19:1) with 100 times concentration in order to accelerate color fading. Canon cannot guarantee the longevity of prints; results may vary depending on printed image, drying time, display/storage conditions and environmental factors.

Note that the testing was done internally at Canon and not independently via Wilhelm Research.

JPL is offline   Reply With Quote