Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 29, 2003, 1:35 PM   #1

Default S820 & Text, not bad

I hooked up my S820 and needed to run thru a couple of deep cleaning to get the ink all primed but now it's set. I printed the first page of a resume from word and set the Canon S820 to plain paper all black text settings. I used Kodak Bright White injet paper 108+ brightness. Did the same print on my Epson 640 with default settings. I campaired both and to say Canon S820 can't do text is wrong. The letters were well formed and had crisp edges. The print was a little lighter than my Epson 640 but not that big of a deal. The S820 printer turned out the page very fast, under 10 seconds, faster than my Epson 640 but not enough to matter for one sheet.]I guess the canon uses a photo tyoe blank ink while the 640 uses pigment black which is darker but that is not to say the Canon S820 can't produce resume quilty text.

Question: do you dust cover your printers? this is in the basement and does get chillie and humid.
PhotoMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2003, 3:06 PM   #2
MK

I cover my S820. Whether it's necessary is another question but I figure it can't hurt.
MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 3:25 PM   #3

Hmmmm interesting. I was damn near positive that the epson 640 along with all the other epson printers at about that time used a dye based black. That was the big think about the epson c80 that it was one of the first epson printers that it used an all pigment based ink.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 4:33 PM   #4

Default Re: S820 & Text, not bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoMenace
Question: do you dust cover your printers? this is in the basement and does get chillie and humid.
I don't cover my week-old S820, but plan on doing so. I actually don't know if it'd make last longer, but seeing how dust can cause all sorts of problems with electrical equipment, I figure it can't hurt.

On a side note, I bought one of the original HP DeskJet 500 way back when (1990), and kept it covered. I don't know if they just built them better back then or if the cover helped, but the printer actually outlasted its warranty period, which was 5 years. I think it went on printing for about 7 years. Amazing. Compare that to the 90-day warranty HP provides now on some of their inkjet printers... then again, that HP DeskJet 500 did cost me $500...
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2003, 1:57 PM   #5

Default i tested Canon ink fastness

Gregersonsalvage:

I wanted to check the Canon S820 ink abilty to stand up to water on address labels so i printed a sheet on Avery address labels for color printing and placed a blot of saliva on the paper and let it run over two labels. the colors did not run or bleed what so ever. I little water shadow was in the label after it dried but the colors and print were fine, unchanged. The Canon also printed the colors the same way they were on screen unlike my epson 640 which did not.
PhotoMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2003, 2:58 PM   #6

Default Re: i tested Canon ink fastness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoMenace
Gregersonsalvage:

I wanted to check the Canon S820 ink abilty to stand up to water on address labels so i printed a sheet on Avery address labels for color printing and placed a blot of saliva on the paper and let it run over two labels. the colors did not run or bleed what so ever. I little water shadow was in the label after it dried but the colors and print were fine, unchanged. The Canon also printed the colors the same way they were on screen unlike my epson 640 which did not.
Sometimes its the paper as far as water resistence goes. Also printing technology has changed dramatically over the last 4 years since you bought your 640 so I would expect the color to be different.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote