Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 16, 2005, 12:39 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5
Default

The iP6210D is cheaper than the iP4200 but it is a higher model number and seems to be the replacement of the iP6000. So is the new iP6210D suppose to better and cheaper.
dvk916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2005, 1:15 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 735
Default

dvk916 wrote:
Quote:
The iP6210D is cheaper than the iP4200 but it is a higher model number and seems to be the replacement of the iP6000. So is the new iP6210D suppose to better and cheaper.
It doesn't take the same cartridge style as the ip4200. It takes the cl-51(color) cl-52 (photo). As it's listed as printing black I could only assume the black is in one of those cartridges. Needless to say these are not the seperate cartridges that we are familar with. The drop size is larger than the ip4200, ip5200, and the ip6600.

The general rule of thumb is on the lesser models you spend more money on ink than the more spendy models. For example

$50 ip1600 PG-40 16ml $20ish
$150 ip4200 PGI-5BK 26ml $16.25ish

Save $100 but spend $3.75 extra per refill and refill 38% more often, or so close to twice as much per volume it's not even funny.



zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 2:39 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5
Default

zakezuke wrote:
Quote:
dvk916 wrote:
Quote:
The iP6210D is cheaper than the iP4200 but it is a higher model number and seems to be the replacement of the iP6000. So is the new iP6210D suppose to better and cheaper.
It doesn't take the same cartridge style as the ip4200. It takes the cl-51(color) cl-52 (photo). As it's listed as printing black I could only assume the black is in one of those cartridges. Needless to say these are not the seperate cartridges that we are familar with. The drop size is larger than the ip4200, ip5200, and the ip6600.

The general rule of thumb is on the lesser models you spend more money on ink than the more spendy models. For example

$50 ip1600 PG-40 16ml $20ish
$150 ip4200 PGI-5BK 26ml $16.25ish

Save $100 but spend $3.75 extra per refill and refill 38% more often, or so close to twice as much per volume it's not even funny.


I know that it isn't seperate carts, but my question was since it uses 6 colors to print photos vs 4, and how it has a higher model number does that mean the photo quality of its print could be higher.
dvk916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 3:33 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 735
Default

dvk916 wrote:
Quote:
I know that it isn't seperate carts, but my question was since it uses 6 colors to print photos vs 4, and how it has a higher model number does that mean the photo quality of its print could be higher.
They are just number designations. That's it. In the old series some users prefered the ip5000 to the ip6000 even though the ip6000 in photos had more ink tanks. It's like asking if 12 is better than 47. It gets a little confusing as there are 3 new models in the 6000 class.

the ip6000 series takes 6 inks and no dedicated pigment black for text, and 6210 is lower resolution than either the ip4200 or the ip5200. From my understanding the light inks, the extra two inks are used to fill the empty spaces between the dots to make photos look more smooth and less dotty.

But check this out. The max resoltuion of the 6210D is 4800x1200 with 384 nozzles per color. The older i960 has 512 nozzles per color and the same resolution. This sugests that the older model gets more image printed per stroke than the newer one. If it wasn't for my desire to print onto cds i'd buy the older model in a heartbeat

As to what's better, I don't think anyone has seen these models in action. They are still very new. But don't assume a higher number means better quality. Go out with a pack of photo paper and a digital camera and jack into each one and see for your self.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:43 PM.