Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 21, 2005, 9:42 AM   #1

Hi all,

This questions is kind of strange because I already have this printer. However it is out of ink and I've never tried printing photos from it. My wife and I going to get a new digital camera and printer setup for her mom this Christmas, and I'm thinking of giving her the Lexmark. If it does decent work with photos I'll buy new ink for it and give it for Xmas. If it's not worth it I'd rather save the money and go towards a new printer like a Pixma ip3000. She doesn't need anything fancy, however I think she would like the scanner in the Lexmark. Any feedback is appreciated.

Gipper
gipper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2005, 4:10 PM   #2

gipper51 wrote:
Quote:
Hi all,

This questions is kind of strange because I already have this printer. However it is out of ink and I've never tried printing photos from it. My wife and I going to get a new digital camera and printer setup for her mom this Christmas, and I'm thinking of giving her the Lexmark. If it does decent work with photos I'll buy new ink for it and give it for Xmas. If it's not worth it I'd rather save the money and go towards a new printer like a Pixma ip3000. She doesn't need anything fancy, however I think she would like the scanner in the Lexmark. Any feedback is appreciated.

Gipper
The ip3000 is in short supply. I bought mine late may of this year for $66ish and now the few places that sell the printer want as much as $80 to $100 for it. The drawback is a lack of a dye black like the ip4000 which translates to use of the three colors to produce black on photos. I'm pleased with the photo output, but one might consider the ip4000 if the pricetag is the same. Which is also in short supply. There is still a $20 rebate available on the ip3000/ip4000 but this is only good till the end of september, which is soon.

The problem is the new models are out, the old models are limited to store stock, and while 6 months ago you could get them for under $100 on an average day the current price is close to MSRP of $100ish for the ip3000 and $150ish for the ip4000. I know for a fact I can order the new model for $112 shipped .

There isn't a ip3000 replacement and anything below an ip4200 from what i've observed use different tanks, more expensive black tanks and not individual color tanks. I could easily say black text printing is more cost effective on the ip3000/4000/4200 than the lexmark by a long shot. Were talking $15ish/tank with an estimated 500p yeild. The lexmark #20 is $35ish for and estimated 600p yield. It's hard for me to be fair about color use.

I'm not directly familar with the lexmark 5150. Other lexmarks offer only semi-decent photo printing. If you had a z816 I'd say you'd enjoy better results on the canon.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote