Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 29, 2005, 9:23 AM   #11

thank you for not forgetting about us, mg - sorry to hear your schedule has been so crazy!

we'll look forward to your return and review of the 3310!
phillytim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 3:13 PM   #12

phillytim wrote:
Quote:
The brand new HP Photosmart 3310 looks like an AWESOME all-in-one, with wireless networking to boot! I've been salivating over that for the past month, and finally it's been released. I've been wanting an all-in-one myself, for the limited space I have for my scanner & printer.

Well I had to get a new printer, and was gonna go with the 3310, but it has the new HP 8250 printer subsystem in it, which is only getting mediocre photo-quality reviews. So I opted out for the Canon ip4200 printer for now. I'll check what HP's doing when I have to replace my ink next year to see if it's cost-effective to finally get an HP all-in-one. Hopefully they'll have worked the bugs out (what I consider to be bugs, at least) in the new printer subsystem.

But that looks like a sweet deal. Also, SAM'S CLUB has the HP Photosmart all-in-one 2610 in stock for $199. That's a great deal for a system that is getting great reviews. It beats the 3310's $399 price tag.
Quote:
Thanks for your post,
Quote:
This printer doesnt have the wireless networking otpion though. I ran across this printer on new egg and it looks similiar to the 2610, its the 2510. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16828104271
Quote:
Its the same price as the 2610 on newegg and it has a wireless port. I am checking out reviews on this printer now. Anyone have this printer? I guess this model came out before the 2610.
Quote:
Thanks
Quote:
Charles
charleslong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 11:05 AM   #13

Would you guys go with the 2510 over the 2610?

The price is the same for both, but the 2510 has wireless port
Old Oct 3, 2005, 11:51 AM   #14

Finally got the printer set up last night. The setup process went fairly smoothly, although it took around an hour. The HP software can take over a gigabyte on your hard drive, if you install all the options. I set it up for a wireless network connection, and that went very smoothly. The only hitch was having to turn off the XP firewall, but the instructions were clear on the need to do that.

Fax works nicely, but remember that this model does not have a document feeder, so you need to place the document on the scanner one sheet at a time.

Copies documents well. A scanner/printer combination has an advantage over a regular optical xerographic copier because it can resolve color and greyscale better.

I printed the same photo on the 3310, an HP PS1100, and and Epson R800. The ink on the 3310 dried quickly, similar to the Epson. Picture quality was somewhere between the PS1100 and the R800 at its best. (The Epson can vary; sometimes there is banding that can't be attributed to clogged heads.) There was no banding at all on the 3310,but there was some evidence ofindividual ink dots apparent in the highlight regions, and perhaps a little ink bleed around high saturation areas. (This was on HP Premium Plus Glossy paper).

I have not yet tried scanning photos or artwork.

I will need to run a few other photos through to check saturation and color. I'll post more as I try more things.

Overall, the 3310 seems to do all functions well (except I have not pushed the scanner yet). Before the purchase, I was concerned that I might be compromising photo quality for the convenience of an all-in-one. So far, that doesn't seem to be the case. I wish I had an 8750 to borrow for comparison.

--M
mgipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2005, 10:15 AM   #15

thanks for sharing your first impressions, mg! very interesting stuff

we'll look forward to more of your good words when you get more hands-on and scanning done.

phillytim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2005, 1:38 PM   #16

Hi mgipe!

I am also looking to get the 3210 or 3310, so I am looking forward to hearing more about its picture quality.

I currently have a 6 year old HP Deskjet 970cxi. It does decent photoprints and if I choose too, I can get 3rd party ink.

But for space reasons, I am looking for an all-in-one. The choice of HP has been made because of HPs superios Unix support.

It is nice to see that HP is finally offering seperate inks, but I still can not help worring about printhead life...

And after reading dcresources.com's review of the 8250, I am a bit worried about the quality of the new system.....

hope to hear more from you, regarding the performance of the 3310

Webmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 7:21 PM   #17

hello guys, I ended up picking up a 2510, its a pretty cool little printer for the price and it also has wireless option. Anyone here set there HP printer on a wireless network? I can set it up wireless, but when i try to encrypt my connection, and enter my password.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 11:43 AM   #18

Just a quick update on scanning.

I installed the HP 3310 driver software on a second computer. It took me about three hours to get it all working. First, of course, was the difficulty with the XP firewall. The HP manual and installation instructions apparently assume that you have XP service pack 2 installed. Without it, you can't partially unblock the XP firewall. If you don't have SP2 installed, you must completely disable the firewall in order to successfully install the printer driver. You must keep it disabled whenever you print, scan, etc. In spite of disabling the firewall, I still get message boxes popped up asking if it is OK to let program xxxxxx.exe access the network, everytime I try to print, fax, etc. Annoying, but otherwise benign.

No problems encountered finding the printer on the wireless network other than the firewall issues.

At first, I could not get the scanner to function with the second computer. I got an error message when I tried to use the HP scan utility -- something about being unable to communicate with the scanner. HP on-line support was useless. Eventually, after numerous system reboots, changing firewall settings, testing other stuff, etc., suddenly the HP driver installation program popped up again out of the blue, and requested that I insert the installation CD again. This happened several hours after the installation was "complete", and I had used the printer to print, fax, and copy. I put in the CD, and the installation program ran for a few more minutes and stopped. After that, the scanner worked just fine. Strange, but at least now all the printer functions are working.

While I was doing all this, I pulled up a not-terribly-great photo that I had taken a few months ago and printed it. The print quality was outstanding, and made the photograph look much better than I thought it was when viewed on the PC screen. Not very scientific, I know, but when my wife comments, "Wow, what a nice picture.", on a print that I wouldn't normally have bothered to waste paper on, I have to be impressed with the printer.

I'll post again when I have a chance to check out the scanner more thoroughly.

--M

mgipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 1:00 PM   #19

[align=left]Thanks for all your reports on the HP 3310. I'm considering the 3210, currently have a 960c which has performed well and seems fairly conservative of ink. I'm concerned about ink consumption on the new HP's with what appear to be small ink cartridges at high prices. What is your experience? Also, do you continue to be impressed with photo quality?
[/align]
aemayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 7:33 PM   #20

If it is a question of per page ink consumable costs, the Canon Mp780
is light years ahead of any HP model.

Right now you can get a MP780 at office max for $200.00 and can find similar buy it
now options on ebay including shipping.

What is all the debate about---you either enjoy being ripped off or you don't.

Use readily available third party cartridges or refill yourself and its no contest.

You do check per page inkjet consumable costs before you buy don't you?
Osage is offline   Reply With Quote